Saturn vs. Sirius

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I just learned today (thanks to a Guardian Article) that Karlheinz Stockhausen maintains he comes from Sirius (something that I exect others here were already aware of). Perhaps more commonly known - certainly more frequently mentioned - are Sun Ra's claims to have come from Saturn.

Anyone know whether one had any bearing on the other? Care to speculate on what this tells us about the comparative musics of the Solar system?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
For Sirius stuff, read up on the Dogon tribe and the curious astronomical knowledge they seem to possess... and see also the impact of Sirius on earthly currents during the dog days.

Music of the spheres / harmonics is a big subject...

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
I remembered reading something about this, so i went and checked back through John F. Szwed's biography of Sun Ra, Space Is The Place...

There are four Stockhausen references in total, three of them are strictly contextual, but this section, dealing with the filming of Space Is The Place , seems relevant:

"Throughout the filming, Sun Ra was reading daily in The Urantia Book, the same 2000-page channeled tome which Karlheinz Stockhausen was also given in 1971, setting off his monster composition, "Licht", which he has been working on ever since. The Urantia Book is an account of the history and nature of the universe (of which, Urantia, or Earth is only a small part), and which predicts that a celestial musician will appear on Earth one day who could change the world"

Woebot

2stepfan said:
For Sirius stuff, read up on the Dogon tribe and the curious astronomical knowledge they seem to possess... and see also the impact of Sirius on earthly currents during the dog days.

Music of the spheres / harmonics is a big subject...

I have a copy of The Pale Fox, which is the anthropological research which uncovered the fact that the Dogon tribe know about Sirius....

also see:

http://www.woebot.com/movabletype/archives/000082.html

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
WOEBOT said:
I have a copy of The Pale Fox, which is the anthropological research which uncovered the fact that the Dogon tribe know about Sirius....
Yeah, that's the one. There was quite a good treatment of this area in one of the Rapid Eyes. But there's been heaps written about it around the place. I don't want to go on too much cos I've spent enough time on the Sirius current. It's good to have in your kit bag.
WOEBOT said:
Ah, the classic...

mms

sometimes
note that harry smiths box set which is fixed into elements is decorated with a mythical instrument called the celestial monochord.

zhao

there are no accidents
saturn is and has been for long enough uninhabitable for humanoids. Sirius B on the other hand is made mostly of water, and i think also an atmosphere of similar composition as that of earth?

pictures of the Dogon: (i dunno... some of it looks pretty alien to me... but then again i'm a hippy)

a6mio-01.jpg

dogonpeople6ap.jpg

b33hogon1.jpg

dogon002dj.jpg

dogon07a4er.jpg
j39b.jpg

b01ogol.jpg

a6kougkoun-01.JPG

c03tule.jpg

a1byen5.jpg

a1ta1.jpg

k14.jpg

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Sirius B is (believed by astronomers to be) a white dwarf star. Of course this doesn't necessarily preclude it's being habitable in some way.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Hey for what it's worth, that business that Marcel Griaule wrote about the Dogon knowing about the existence of Sirius B (with subsequent extrapolation about alien ancestry and lalalala) has been contested quite a lot. In academic circles the strongest claims came from another anthropologist Walter Van Beek, but Carl Sagan for one got in on the act...

There's a bit of a critique of some of the subsequent claims re: alien ancestry etc. here: http://www.ramtops.co.uk/dogon.html

Sadly they don't mention Stockhausen. ;)