'New' Village Voice 'rock' crits are admiarably hopeless

Buick6

too punk to drunk
'New' Village Voice 'rock' crits are admirably hopeless

Thing I like about the Internerd is that I can get all the hot info dreck hot from the asshole of the 'hip' centres of the world that speak Engerlisch (so being a form 1-3 french failure I can only speak and read English)...

ANYWAY, I've noticed the trend of what seems like 20-something 'rock' critics, mostly gay, mostly male, mostly white, who have three toffs of no-idea about music and yet pittance themselves as rock 'experts'. The writing all follows a pretty much predictable agenda (which is generally per-se for the Voice's lower-word-count pay scheme), but generally the so-caled 'critic' finds the most provocative, hip way to 'review' the item: Try to uncover or demystify the artists 'cryptic' persona to then compartmentalise their 'shtick' into an intellectually 'accessable' format for the 'discerning' consumer to desire.

All this in 250-500 words leaves out one gaping issue: So what's the MUSIC like, and on the consumer tip (do I NEED it?)

All this brings to mind Public Enemy's track 'Who stole the soul', people are so caught up in post-modernism and re-writing everything without doing the hard yards, that ultimately people forget the most fundamental thing that's tried and tested and works: MUSIC

It all starts with the SOUND (and @ times the WORD). :cool:

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
well, who are you talking about here? some people who work for the voice happen to be excellent writers, to name a few: baz dreisinger, greg tate, douglas wolk, geeta dayal and some bloke called reynolds or something whose work, i have noticed, shows a certain promise... i don't really know what people's being white, gay or young has to do with the quality of their writing, either. a pretty varied bunch of styles go into making the voice what it is and as much as it frustrates me at times, it also makes me happy that an arena exists where music criticism can exist outside of the simple consumer-guide template.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'm talking about 'new' and 'rock' crits, though it should say 'indie'.

Wolk, Reynolds et al have been writing for the Voice for at nearly 5 years if not longer. I'm talking those that have popped out the last year or two.

Sorry I'm ageist, sexyist, homophobic, classist and a few other 'ist' things. It's genetic. :p

Raw Patrick

I wish some mags in the UK had crit as wide ranging, readable and well written as the Village Voice! You should consider yrsef lucky.

Woebot

Cornflake said:
he went on to criticize roll deep at the park saying that they were amateurs...

ha thats funny! america traditionally has a thing with entertainment doesnt it?

dominic

Beast of Burden
Cornflake said:
i dont really read village voice personally but when i read whoever wrote the article on the review of the kano and roll deep shows in nyc sure put me off...i went to both shows, hung out backstage and chilled with roll deep after the shows..also did the park stuff as well and some of the stuff written didnt make sense..

actually, i think the article reflected what most people who went to that show thought about roll deep, rightly or wrongly

not that i'd rate the guy who wrote the article -- something very unappealing about how he went about saying what had to say -- i.e., he struck me as a wanker

(btw i had planned on seeing vex'd at bunker on friday -- and then forgot all about it -- so rather disappointed with myself)

gumdrops

all he said really was that he thought roll deep were a bit of a ramshackle live presence. hes probably right. they werent that impressive at the i-d grime night at cargo. not compared to kano anyway, roll deep seem to not rehearse or plan anything when they perform. maybe theyve changed how they organise their shows now, i dont know.

Cornflake

I just didnt think he had much of a feel for the scene or what it was all about

yes roll deep werent the smoothest when they are on stage, but for me i dont really care for that as long as the tracks are good...i actually found kano's set a little too fluid like he was just staying the course...and for me the big thing about criticizing roll deep at the park was that they werent even suppose to go on but did it so more ppl could see them..it was kinda last minute

i found the crowd on friday night to be a crowd that really didnt know much at all about roll deep or the tracks...is it just me? i mean i came down from canada so i dont go out to those clubs often