Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice

Woebot

LP entitled "Buck Dharma"

Been hipped to this by the blissblogger. Really excellent Avant-Folk (for want of a better term)

Here's what i said to the big man:

"Just enough artistic focus to the neo-folk rambling. Love the slowburn drumless psych of track 2 and the agrarian visions of apocalypse of the last track. its subtext of energy and enviromental crisis about the best motivation for the subtle de-electrification of music- dont know why more avant-folk isnt more pessimistic!"

Anyone know this lot?

Hi Matthew!

You should also check out XIAO on Troubleman Unlimited

And give a try to Boiling The Animal In The Sky by The Wooden Cupboard (a different project from a guy from Skaters)

best

Jose

jwd

Alright, def. try "XIAO" on De Stijl/Troubleman and "Angel Hair" CDR on Chocolate Monk. THe Wooden Wand solo CD on Soft Abuse is really good. There have been countless CDRs/tapes, I have not heard all, but all are surely worth hearing for a sense of the 'big picture'. James Toth of Wooden Wand was also one of the brains behind much underrated/overlooked Golden Calves Money Band (great self-released LP, amazing tape on Toth's Polyamory label, + nice split 7" w/Hall Of Fame.)

Here is the discography you need:
http://woodenwand.sinkhole.net/

Wooden Cupboard 3"CD-R seriously fantastic, one of the best releases of the past five years. The Skaters rule our planet. Find the Menstrual Chinese Dream and Teohituacan releases.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
is that Wooden Wand LP named after the lead guitarist from Blue Oyster Cult?

Espers cover BOC's "Flaming Telepaths" on their new EP...

just what is this freak-folk/BOC connection?

blissblogger

don't know about the BoC connection (maybe they just love 'don't fear the reaper' as all righteous folk should)

but wooden wand have this quote they wheel at different interviews, they always go on about "with our music, when we make a record, we're just trying to recreate or recapture the sort of vibe that maybe existed at the first Jefferson Airplane session, the first Fleetwood Mac session, the first Deep Purple session"

the thing that gets me is: "the first Deep Purple session"!!!!

don't think i've ever heard of anyone use deep purple as a positive reference point

daren

WOEBOT said:
Anyone know this lot?

I don't have much to add to this other than these people are really nice and they play a great live show. They have a man who uses a DJ mixer with two cassette decks. We chatted as he was recording a cassette at a friend's house. He just has a huge blanket full of etched-labeled tapes!

jwd

brotherjames said:
Hey Jon,

I definitely would like to know your words on Feels by Animal Collective.

Haven't heard it yet. The new Vashti Bunyan is nice!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Funny someone should mention Wooden Wand, I've started loving his stuff recently, and it does something for me that very little avant-folk does. He's very prolific, sin't he, but yeah he's brill.

Yeah, the Vashti Bunyan is nice, too, innit?

childrentalking

there's a Wooden Wand + Vanishing Voice / Skaters collaboration doing the rounds... I'm yet to hear it but I'm downloading it right now.

childrentalking

any objections to me sharing this (via YSI or whatever) once it's finished downloading?

it's not a commercial release + I doubt it ever will be. maybe a limited to 100 CD-R/cassette eventually, but as of right now it's not even reached *that* stage of availability. I know Mr. Wand rates it as the best thing WW+VV has ever done (I read it on IHM). artist self-perception can be pretty dodgy though!

mms

sometimes
i got this and haven't really got into it yet
but two things that are fairly similar and i've really got are harvestman - lashing the rye on neurot records
and tribes of neurot - meridian on the same label harvestman captures some twisted modern update of the english folk sound whilst the tribes of neurot is kind of electricity over the hills .
anyway here is the site if anyone is interested
http://www.neurotrecordings.com/home_news.aspx