Ms Dynamite LP

Woebot

(sing it with me)

"Dynamite-LP"

I saw what subject matter she was covering somewhere (young muvvas and alla that) and have to admit it sounded kind of brave and interesting.

But I just checked here:

http://www.msdynamite.co.uk/

and it sounds like sloopy (didnae say sloppy) R'n'B.

She was a mighty might rapper. The bars she dropped on So Solids "You Dont Know" were electrifying. And "Ramp" well its a classic.....

gumdrops

she sings a bit too much now. which is strange to me cos her singing was always a bit questionable. most of the new album is kinda like a poor man's lauryn hill unfortunately. im not sure why she/her label decided that she should make inoffensive americanised urban-MOR rubbish (her accent on 'father' is pretty dodgy) intead of something a bit more daring. its not exactly paying off - the new album is already selling for £3 on amazon! i miss hearing her MC on uptempo beats (that's where she was best IMO). i know she still keeps talking about making a garage album in the press, but i doubt thats going to happen.

gabriel

The Heatwave
agree it's a shame she doesn't rap much any more, but her new single (fall in love again) is really good though - nice reggae beat

gumdrops

really, dynamite is just another example of how the british music industry has absolutely no clue about how to handle its 'urban' talents. i know everyone here seems to hate her, but MIA's album is kind of the album i would have liked to hear dynamite make.

gumdrops

actually, i love lauryn as a singer! ex-factor is one of the best R&B/soul songs of the past decade!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
She built up a lot of credibility with her mcing. Am I right in thinking that her single with Sticky ‘boo’, got to number 1 in the charts? That was such a dark underground track, and it makes me wince thinking about what could cut it back then (2001) and the failure today of Roll Deep’s crossover sound (I mean No 24 for ‘Shake a leg’….. tho I’m quite liking the Scoobay riddim rmx).

Dynamite’s first album was very poor (fourth-rate r’n’b), but her underground credibility, and the fact that she provided a useful diversion (for the marketing of ‘uk urban’) away from the So Solid thing, seemed to work in her favour in winning plaudits and getting some sales.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
bun-u said:
Dynamite’s first album was very poor (fourth-rate r’n’b), but her underground credibility, and the fact that she provided a useful diversion (for the marketing of ‘uk urban’) away from the So Solid thing, seemed to work in her favour in winning plaudits and getting some sales.

Totally agree.

I still find it weird that she won a Mercury Music Prize for it (ok, music prizes go to all kinds of crap, but still).

Tim F

The first album was a disappointment compared to "Boo", "Ramp" etc. yeah, but "Dynamit-e" at least was an awesome single. There were some pretty good remixes of some of the tracks by JD aka Dready from So Solid which featured more of her rapping.

DJ Lioness

I dont like it, preferred her first album. I actually agree with Logan and his thoughts on her singing [now], shes trying so hard that the album sounds like a nervous X Factor audition. I think the trial and error process Polydor adopted needs to be thrown out, tracks like Put Your Gun Away & Self Destruct were dying for some spitting to make them complete but as a result flopped, and the whole "im bringing back my roots" stance shes going for with covers needs to stop! Its ruined a part of my childhood, what on earth was she thinking when she picked up the Ken Boothe track?!

"Please pass the mic.."

atomly

atomiq one
This music is horse shit.

Comparing her to Lauryn Hill is a joke. Lauryn is a better rapper AND a better singer.

Seriously, who thought these tracks would sell? This music is all overproduced fluff. There's not even a really hook or drive to any of these songs.

"Boo!" was a jam, though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bun-u said:
She built up a lot of credibility with her mcing. Am I right in thinking that her single with Sticky ‘boo’, got to number 1 in the charts?

Surely not...

Check this for a horrifyingly inaccurate assessment of the merits of her career path (second column): http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article315951.ece

In a connected observation, heard 'Boo' out at a club on Friday and it still sounded remarkably fresh; as a comparison I put on some So Solid tunes today and they sounded HORRIFICALLY dated to my ears. Now why is that?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
That would be due to the production.

Although the few "hits" that they had on the underground still hold up. Tracks like Oh No, They Don't Know and Rap Dis still sound decent today.

Badmarsh

Boo was just mucky when it first dropped - holdtight early sticky vibes!

oris jay has done a dutty remix with her - but i dont think that will see the light of day as its quite old now.

she was embarassing at live8 - but ive seen her buss up fwd one time - she should really come much rawer than she does...