Monopol - A german question....

Woebot

monopol.jpg

Anyone know anything about this band, or failing that can anyone give me a rough translation of this:

http://www.backagain.de/ndw/monopol.htm

redcrescent

Roughly:
"This great LP by Monopol was pretty much overlooked during the NDW hysteria and the flood of releases in 1982. However, it is now a sought-after and expensive collectors' item among fans of NDW and minimal electro, but that doesn't do the band much good anymore. And so they were destined for disappearance. But the LP would've had all the ingredients it needed for commercial success: German lyrics, often sarcastic, nice little synth melodies and alternating male-female vocals. I'd compare it to Fee, who had great success later on, but also Nichts, Ideal and Neonbabies, without the rock instrumentation, come to mind. To a lesser extent also Jawoll and the Swiss band Frische Farbe. As mentioned above, very much of its time, but still likeable/lovable. Actually, every song is a hit, but I'd make special mention of "Anarchie", "Gib Liebe Her" and "TV", and especially of the hectic "Sag wer ich bin", which came out as a single and is probably the reason for [the LP's] cult status amongst fans of minimal electro. In my mind, it is a very big NDW classic which belongs in every collection. Maybe the lyrics, which do veer very much towards the cynical, were a bit too strong for a mass audience. Although the sound is very accessible, it is never superficial, unlike the Schlager-NDW bands who quickly conquered the field."

Tempted?

Woebot

redcrescent said:
Roughly:
"This great LP by Monopol was pretty much overlooked during the NDW hysteria and the flood of releases in 1982. However, it is now a sought-after and expensive collectors' item among fans of NDW and minimal electro, but that doesn't do the band much good anymore. And so they were destined for disappearance. But the LP would've had all the ingredients it needed for commercial success: German lyrics, often sarcastic, nice little synth melodies and alternating male-female vocals. I'd compare it to Fee, who had great success later on, but also Nichts, Ideal and Neonbabies, without the rock instrumentation, come to mind. To a lesser extent also Jawoll and the Swiss band Frische Farbe. As mentioned above, very much of its time, but still likeable/lovable. Actually, every song is a hit, but I'd make special mention of "Anarchie", "Gib Liebe Her" and "TV", and especially of the hectic "Sag wer ich bin", which came out as a single and is probably the reason for [the LP's] cult status amongst fans of minimal electro. In my mind, it is a very big NDW classic which belongs in every collection. Maybe the lyrics, which do veer very much towards the cynical, were a bit too strong for a mass audience. Although the sound is very accessible, it is never superficial, unlike the Schlager-NDW bands who quickly conquered the field."

Tempted?

Wow. Thanks for that redcrescent.

Sounds pretty cool! "Cult status among fans of Minimal Electro" (Licks lips)

As you may imagine my complete lack of German makes scouring for NDW extremely complicated. Its funny how the 70s Krautrock Canon has a translated discourse which people *COMPLETELY* take for granted and yet with the 80s stuff- its all still in German.

Whats needed is a translation of the "Vershwende Deine Jugend" Book at the very least....

Last edited:

Woebot

sapstra said:
If you really want to dig deep into NDW, i'd say, first explore everything on Zick Zack, Ata Tak, No Fun and Monogam, and maybe then look further.

Hmm. I do have it on pretty good authority that they're a great band! But I've taken heed of your comments...

I combed through here a while back very thoroughly:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/RaFuchs/ndw/

and came to the conclusion that the following labels were interesting:

(obviously!)

AtaTak
ZickZack

but also:

3Klang Records
klar80
konkurrenz
purefreude
rondo
schall
Tausend Augen / Ink Records
Welt-Rekord / EMI Electrola

I know No Fun and Monogam are hotly tipped but to be honest they didnt really catch my eye. Very superficial survey I am aware based on acts I know/connections/sleeve art.

It struck me quite forcibly that the most interesting labels were Dusseldorf-based.

Woebot

sapstra said:
I think Dusseldorf is nr 1 (in qualitly but also the first in time), Berlin no 2 and Hamburg no 3, and after that a long time nothing

I don't have their music for you, but i do have some pictures. I wonder if you're still anxious to hear them after you've seen them. (There might be a thread there, bands that make good music, but look like they never will)

monopol1m.jpg

monopol2m.jpg

lol! sapstra you're too harsh. they look ace!