Danger Mouse and MF Doom-Danger Doom

mms

sometimes
Dr.Doom said:
What do you guys think?
i like it, it gets better as it goes along - it sort of warms up really.
not into the skits ....why???
i still think dangermouse is a pretty average to good producer who got lucky with the brilliant grey album concept . Not that i don't like him though, he's got a strange talent.

Last edited:

monkeysblood

born to cry
more doom is fine by me.

re: dm. i prob wouldn't have paid much attention to jay-z had he not done that rehash. which would have been a shame 'cos i was missing out. did you not feel for the gemini colab either, mms?

mms

sometimes
monkeysblood said:
more doom is fine by me.

re: dm. i prob wouldn't have paid much attention to jay-z had he not done that rehash. which would have been a shame 'cos i was missing out. did you not feel for the gemini colab either, mms?

wait a minute i've never ever said i'm not feeling his stuff..

of all the things he's done this is my favorite - i really like this one but i don't think he's incredible -
the grey lp was good for a few plays and an incredible idea - i like the weirdness of the gemini lp tho

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
i got the single, mince meat and sofa king, and i was really impressed. i've never been a danger mouse fan, but the beats sounded great, kinda reminded me of early Dan the Automator... and Doom sounded great... he does so much stuff that some of it is kinda blah, but he sounds great on those beats. now, i can't wait to hear the Doom/Ghostface stuff...

zhao

there are no accidents
I thought the DM / gemini collab was ace... "do you do drugs? we do no drugs..." with the swinging 20s (dixieland?) jazz sample... dope!

still ain't heard this dangerdoom shit though

mms

sometimes
petergunn said:
i got the single, mince meat and sofa king, and i was really impressed. i've never been a danger mouse fan, but the beats sounded great, kinda reminded me of early Dan the Automator... and Doom sounded great... he does so much stuff that some of it is kinda blah, but he sounds great on those beats. now, i can't wait to hear the Doom/Ghostface stuff...

doom/rza thing out at the mo - very nice and rza is doing an album with a bunch of guest mcs . The single is good and the album looks promising - rza cutting his own path .

petergunn

plywood violin
mms said:
doom/rza thing out at the mo - very nice and rza is doing an album with a bunch of guest mcs . The single is good and the album looks promising - rza cutting his own path .

see, i heard that and thought it was really weak and i am a big rza fan...

DonRuba

Stocktown man
This is a question that almost belongs in the "questions I'm scared of asking because of music nerd cred"-thread: I'm confused, isn't there also a UK MC, somewhere between uk hip hop and grime that calls himself Danger Mouse? And the two got nothing to do with each other, right?

monkeysblood

born to cry
the dm we're discussing is british, but i don't think he really mc's. he got kinda known for all that 'bootleg' behaviour and he has some other more live, less sample based projects. i reckon yr thinking of the same guy anyhoo.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Ok, I thought the Grey Album guy was American. But I'm not sure if it's the same person.

Kano's "We Have A Problem" features a guy called Danger Mouse, and when I saw Kano at the Vice party in Stockholm a few weeks ago I think he introduced his backup rapper as Danger Mouse, although it was kinda hard to hear what he said because the whole place was going nuts and he only said it once. But someone told me that the Grey Album guy was white, and this guy was black?

(If you mix the black and the white Danger Mice, would there be a grey Danger Mouse?)

tom pr

confucius said:
I thought the DM / gemini collab was ace... "do you do drugs? we do no drugs..." with the swinging 20s (dixieland?) jazz sample... dope!
They did an EP either before or after the album called Ghetto pop life... i got it as a free gift with a ughh.com order once, outside that i'm not sure how you'd get hold of one..but if you liked the album they did you should have a look for this, it's only 9 or so tracks, but got a bunch of new stuff and remixes (or i guess original versions, if it was done before).

mms

sometimes
tom pr said:
They did an EP either before or after the album called Ghetto pop life... i got it as a free gift with a ughh.com order once, outside that i'm not sure how you'd get hold of one..but if you liked the album they did you should have a look for this, it's only 9 or so tracks, but got a bunch of new stuff and remixes (or i guess original versions, if it was done before).
there is also a record by him pre 'fame' called pelican city =we've got a few in the shop still i think
yep
http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=pelican01
got that ep too i think
http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=lex022 - 26 inch

got a few of those excellent andrew broder modern hits hand printed cds where hes versioned up r and b and mainstream hip hop bits in his own manner too.

gumdrops

i think dangermouse is kinda overrated as a producer - is he really that much better than half the unknowns littering the hip-hop underground? the dangerdoom album is alright but ive heard better stuff by doom on the other albums hes done in the past few years, i hope he takes a break now. maybe just cos ive heard so much of him in the last couple of years, anything he does now seems to be on auto pilot.

datura

white collar loafer
I'd take 10 Doom albums a year against most of the b/s that gets released these days..even on autopilot he comes off fresher and more interesting than most mc's..

Dangermouse is from the US..he lives in the UK these days as far as I'm aware, hence the confusion..prior to the Grey album and Ghetto Pop Life he also did a few remix 12's..think they might have been limited release though..wish I'd had the foresight to pick a few up!

Finn

The thing that always gets me is I think Doom is a much better producer than these guys he teams up with (DM and Madlib both). His flow is impressive in a certain way but I've grown tired of it over time, which is why the Ghostface / Doom collab seemed so exciting ...

gumdrops

i agree - doom's best when he produces himself (king geedorah, operation doomsday, mmmfood).

Last edited:

robin

in general i think doom is hugely overrateed,he seems to have replaced jurassic five or whoever as token rap for people who don't like rappers...
i do quite like some of the danger doom tracks though,for a reason i'm surprised no one has mentioned-the adult swim content
all the skits on the album are from various cartoons on the adult swim network,all of which are great...well worth checking out if you've never seen them,particularly aqua teen hunger force and the braq show...

the track with ghostface is quality too-i don't see how people can claim doom is much better than most other hip hop,or that he's fresh or interesting-his own tracks with rza and ghostface prove that thats not the case!

as for dangermouse,that ghetto pop life album is pretty much the only underground rap ive heard that i really liked-its extremely derivative but has an enthusiasm and freshness that allows it to get away with ripping off all the people it rips off..
grey album was a good laugh as a gimmick,but not really deserving of all the attention it got