Da Crunked Up Southern Rap thread

zhao

there are no accidents
ok. who in de know 'bout dis? I want a show of hands. no holding out allowed. peeps from Atlanta, I'm talkin' to you. peeps from Mississippie, Dallas, Houston, I'm talkin' to you. journalists from the UK, you bet I'm talkin' to you too:

is Lil' Jon over and out? is he nothing more than a clown now?

who's hot? who's got staying power? Lill Scrappy? Bun-B? David Banner?

list of top current crunk artists:

and

list of all time crunked up classic recordings:

let's see 'em.

Whoa-B

Brüt Force Family
BIA BIA!!!!!!!! I think Lil Jon is kind of a one trick pony, but the trick is still hot. See "Presidential" by Youngbloodz.

And right now I'm really feelin Three 6 Mafia's "Stay Fly Remix"... Its got Trick Daddy, Slim Thug, and Project Pat on it, plus that hook is genius. FLAAH-AH-AH-AAH-AH-AAH-AH-AAH-AAOW!!!!!!!!!

After ATL blew up, all these other states came out of the woodwork (North Carolina, Kentucy, Tennesee, TEXAS!) with many flavors of crunk... especially the whole Chopped up Houston thing --have we moved into a POST-CRUNK era already?!?

Crunk For Thought.

petergunn

plywood violin
Whoa-B said:
BIA BIA!!!!!!!! I think Lil Jon is kind of a one trick pony, but the trick is still hot. See "Presidential" by Youngbloodz.

And right now I'm really feelin Three 6 Mafia's "Stay Fly Remix"... Its got Trick Daddy, Slim Thug, and Project Pat on it, plus that hook is genius. FLAAH-AH-AH-AAH-AH-AAH-AH-AAH-AAOW!!!!!!!!!

After ATL blew up, all these other states came out of the woodwork (North Carolina, Kentucy, Tennesee, TEXAS!) with many flavors of crunk... especially the whole Chopped up Houston thing --have we moved into a POST-CRUNK era already?!?

Crunk For Thought.

KNUCK IF YOU BUCK!

"stay fly" is the shit... the transformer scratch on that hook is so ill... viva serato!

alot of people don't consider Triple 6 crunk, but to me they are, especially early shit like "tear da club up"...

anything Lil Jon produced from like 96-01 is crunk... Bia Bia, Put Yo Hood up, Who you wit, uhh ohhh, are all jams...

"tight whips" by 504 Boyz kills me everytime i hear it...

zhao

there are no accidents
y'all kin do better n dis? 2 players in the big big game room?? all y'all good teefed pimpin muthafukkaz repreZENT!!!

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

bun b is the don, i wouldn't really classify him as an up n comer or anything, he's been doing his thang for a while now... go to any online vendor and check out this one 3 CD set called "the best of bun b" or something like that, it's a comp of guest spots and original material.... absolutely flooring in his consistency.

the houston shit is running it for me right now, especially a lot of the dark codeine sippin stuff, for some reason all the tunes bigging up drank are really fucked up and dark, lots of chopped up orchestral fanfares and bells (reminds me of some wiley 'colder' type material at times). the best mixtape i've heard out of houston in a while has got to be the grit boys "on the grind", i would seriously recommend it, it's also got this one tune they did dizzee rascal that's too much....

lil jon seems pretty consistent still, even if his production style doesn't quite have the shock of the new.... for me though atlanta is too much of a force to discount, they have such a developed industry i can't quite see them falling off anytime soon, and lil jon's productions are always kinda interesting to my ears

also excited about the new david banner material, anyone check out that tune he did with rodney p and durrty doogz (i dunno about this 'goodz' stuff)?

C

captain easychord

gumdrops said:
not all southern rap is crunk music....

this is very true, i was gonna mention this as well. 'crunk' is pretty much a slang term (i remember hearing it on old cash money shit) that lil jon exploited for branding purposes. it's kind of a questionable genre, not as clear cut as say, screwed music.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
captain easychord said:
the houston shit is running it for me right now, especially a lot of the dark codeine sippin stuff, for some reason all the tunes bigging up drank are really fucked up and dark, lots of chopped up orchestral fanfares and bells (reminds me of some wiley 'colder' type material at times). the best mixtape i've heard out of houston in a while has got to be the grit boys "on the grind", i would seriously recommend it, it's also got this one tune they did dizzee rascal that's too much....

Ny track names for dark sizzurp tunes that are big right about now, as your description sounds great?

Also, is there anywhere I could get audio of those sets Dizzee did on Houston radio back in April or whenever it was?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just found this comment on one of the Houston blogs too:

"If you all feeling that Dizze stuff, u should check out DJ Semtex's last mixtape on BBC 1Xtra's website. Some sick grine & crunk mixes with like Mike Jones over some Wiley beats...BIG.

bbc.co.uk/1xtra/hiphop and click to listen to semtex's show"

Sounds incredible...

gumdrops

xxpost, plus, a lot of the aggressive, ultra rowdy, bar-brawling stuff branded crunk was being made by guys like 3-6 mafia before lil jon too (not saying lil jon copied them, just that 'get buck' music was already an established style in the south before lil jon decided he would credit himself as the inventor of crunk). most rappers these days say lil jon is the only one who makes actual 'crunk music' as in Crunk The Genre (TM)

mikemac

The spark right now is coming from the kids of ATL.

Check Maceo's "Sit Down" & "Nextel Chirp", D4L's "Laffy Taffy", BMF, Mac Bre-Z & GA Girls.

Noah's Destiny's Child rerub "Decatur 2 U" is fuckin hilarious.

Also Alabama's 334 Mobb, recently signed to Def Jam.

petergunn

plywood violin
laffy taffy sounds like grime if it was made on a commodore 64 instead of a play station...

don't forget "white tees"...

zhao

there are no accidents
mikemac said:
Maceo's "Sit Down" & "Nextel Chirp",

the lyrics to "Sit Down" made me laugh... shit is funny. "nextel chirp" is just a hot track. the others I will have to check.

C

captain easychord

baboon2004 said:
Ny track names for dark sizzurp tunes that are big right about now, as your description sounds great?

a few that i'm feeling right now are:

frayser boy feat paul wall, mike jones - "I got dat drank"
grit boys - "drank in my cup"
paul wall feat bun b - "drank in yo system"

you'll wanna check out the screwed versions of those tracks...