The Wire's Covers Thing

Loki

Anyone else think that The Wire magazine's lcurrent cover story about cover versions is suspiciuously like a thread I started here a month or so back about covers that change DNA (can't remember the exact title and can't be arsed to go look for it)?

The contributors to that thread (who all came up with much better examples than the few miserable crumbs I laid out) at least ought to read the piece to see what's been nicked off them and then they should join hands in some kind of Shamanic Depressive Invocation of Holy Guardian Angel Fury and send The Wire scurrying back in time to that nasty paper and articles about Jazz-Polka syncopations...

I recommend the library.

Good article though

Woebot

Loki said:
Anyone else think that The Wire magazine's lcurrent cover story about cover versions is suspiciuously like a thread I started here a month or so back about covers that change DNA (can't remember the exact title and can't be arsed to go look for it)?

The contributors to that thread (who all came up with much better examples than the few miserable crumbs I laid out) at least ought to read the piece to see what's been nicked off them and then they should join hands in some kind of Shamanic Depressive Invocation of Holy Guardian Angel Fury and send The Wire scurrying back in time to that nasty paper and articles about Jazz-Polka syncopations...

I recommend the library.

Good article though

hey Loki. maybe there is some similarity, but i've a suspicion they're just working through a set of alternatives. wasnt the last one about song?

they asked me to contribute to that, but none of my selections made the grade apparently :) to be honest i kind of scrambled my list together:

Grace Jones: She's Lost Control
Minutemen: Dr Wu
Hector Zazou: Strawberry Fields Forever

jed_

Rambler said:
The real irony is that the cover to the magzine itself is its worst ever:

i came on the thread to post that exact thing! i haven't read the atricle yet but it looks like another chance for the Wire to write about 50 artists they write about all the time anyway. I do love the mag so i'll hold off judgement til then.

Raw Patrick

I think the Wire's regular leaning on these best of lists is an admittance that it doesn't know where it's going anymore. That and those editorials where Chris Bohn has a comedy encounter w/Biba Kopf - talk about knowing that yr talking to a closed circle.

I'd have liked to hear Woebot on The Minutemen's vers. of Steely Dan's Dr Wu though (even though the Minutemen's cover of Van Halen's Ain't Talking 'Bout Love is better.)

(how many entries do Nick Cave and Neubauten get?)