Maximo Park

Woebot

Feel almost like a rat doing this seen that I suppose WARP is practically on level pegging with loads of cottage level enterprises like the mags I write for and even this forum (...don't laugh!)

Naturally I'm certain they'd think this was a quite preposterous thing to say, because they behave like they're part of the outer stratosphere, and if anything the amount of money they've reportedly thrown at Maximo Park proves this. Maybe it just proves they're nothing if not ambitious?

Wasnt the signing of this lot rather like putting the entire contents of their wallet on red?

Anyway, a couple of thoughts:

a) They sound precisely like Franz Ferdinand. Like Franz Ferdinand Mark 2. Jesus, i mean why bother signing something that's just the same as another band, except to make money (which isnt a safe bet, cos no-ones completely stupid)?

b) Their lead singer looks like such a chump. Now true nerds and geeks I love especially when theyve nailed a distinctive look, David Byrne (love the chicken-head thing), Thom Yorke (gets points for the squiffy eye) but this guy looks like a "muscular geek". A muscular geek like the later Morissey (you knew you'd been had!) and the equally "muscular geek" whose the lead singer for the Kaiser Chiefs. I HATE "muscular geeks", men who think their geeks but instead have lots of friends. I'd add to my "muscular geek" coinage another coinage, "The Alpha Geek"....

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
c) *Maxïmo Park*. Is using an ‘ï’ supposed to be funny or clever? It's neither as far as i can tell; The typographic equivalent of an ironic ACDC T-shirt.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
I don't even like them very much, but for the record:

1. They don't sound all that much like Franz Ferdinand. This is such a Dissensus double standard: if two techno records come out on Ghostly International, or whatever, which are indistinguishable to someone who doesn't closely follow recent techno, then that's the listener's fault - if two indie records come out which are indistinguishable to someone who doesn't closely follow recent indie, then that's the band's fault.

2. They had to change their name to 'Maxïmo Park' because people were pronouncing it as MAXimo park, when it should be maxIMo park, because it's originally Cuban. But of course, because they've been featured in the NME, every unusual choice they make can apparently only be a self-serving publicity stunt, rather than a genuine decision (see also Kele from Bloc Party refusing to talk about his sexuality, etc.)

Oh by the way Woebot we are now sharing space in FACT! I write band profiles as Ned Beauman and occasionally (I'm not really sure why) Adriana Veidt.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I agree that they don't sound much like Franz Ferdinand - they're even worse, more like a jumble sale Pulp (and since Pulp were already jumble sale, well....)

The singer does look like a chump; more precisely, he looks like Alan Partridge --- the hairstyle! the jumpers!

and 'I'll do graffiti if you speak to me in French' is possibly the worst line produced by anyone, ever --- kind of a one-line summation of everything shit about indie....

redcrescent

Ned said:
They had to change their name to 'Maxïmo Park' because people were pronouncing it as MAXimo park, when it should be maxIMo park, because it's originally Cuban.
Uhm, if it is really "originally Cuban" i.e. Spanish, then the people rule supreme because it really IS pronounced MAXimo (máximo). So much for pretentiousness...

tryptych

waiting for a time
I quite like them. And I'm not going to give any sort of defence for it, I just think they make nice catchy tunes.

Is this going to be another indy hating thread? It's such a boring topic...

spackb0y said:
I quite like them. And I'm not going to give any sort of defence for it, I just think they make nice catchy tunes.

Are fiery furnaces indie? I got hold of their new LP today. It features their gran. Blueberry Boat was excellent but I feared they given up or been dropped by their label.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Slightly OT (well, actually very OT) but i was lying stoned in the bath on saturday & had a revelation that Kaiser Chiefs are the new neds atomic dustbin, which was horrifying and funny at the same time.

mms

sometimes
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Slightly OT (well, actually very OT) but i was lying stoned in the bath on saturday & had a revelation that Kaiser Chiefs are the new neds atomic dustbin, which was horrifying and funny at the same time.

well yeah like these bands esp maximo the only thing they will be remembered for is cumbersome greasy hair, difference is ned's atomic dustbin probably cut their own whilst the maximo park bloke pays loads.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
spackb0y said:

Not as boring as indie though...

Given the media acceptance and profile of these embarrassing bands, it is a duty to do what little we can to ridicule them...

S

simon silverdollar

this is going to sound like i'm just being contrary, but i'm really not...
i saw maximo park on top of the pops the other day and i was surprised by how good they actually were- that, 'apply some pressure' is nice song, and it sounds genuinely heart felt, which is very rare with a lot of these new skinny-tie type bands (who, by and large, i HATE).

As for the 'muscular geek' thing...i dunno. did he ever claim that he was a 'geek'? in interviews it seems like he's trying to pass himself off as one of those foppish, confident, literature-types who were annoying (and popular) at Uni...i don't get the impression that he wants to be seen as geeky: quite the opposite, in fact- he presents himself as the type of person who looked down on all the 'science geek' types at university.

his pseudo-ian curtis stage act is annoying tho.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
ha! no peace for the wicked. Arctic Monkeys straight in at number one.
K-Punk and Blissblogger are pushing out the can(n)ons!

If nothing else it's quite a funny little moment,
keeping the 50-milllion pound man at number four.

Am I wrong, but didn't someone (here?!) predict this moment?
I remember someone somewhere saying something (is that vague enough yet?)
along the lines of (now it is)
"it will take only one act to break in this way/using the internet to break through and the music industry will change forever".

Maybe our man from Gang of Yore is onto something then?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Ness Rowlah said:
ha! no peace for the wicked. Arctic Monkeys straight in at number one.
K-Punk and Blissblogger are pushing out the can(n)ons!

If nothing else it's quite a funny little moment,
keeping the 50-milllion pound man at number four.

Am I wrong, but didn't someone (here?!) predict this moment?
I remember someone somewhere saying something (is that vague enough yet?)
along the lines of (now it is)
"it will take only one act to break in this way/using the internet to break through and the music industry will change forever".

Maybe our man from Gang of Yore is onto something then?

but they're on domino - so they are obviously tipped after franz ferdinand and have had loads of press and tv etc.. i don't get it - they're notan internet sucess

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Yes they are on Domino and they have been widely tipped;
but the use of free MP3s, Myspace.com, blogs to build a band to go number one is a first (at least the on this scale).
The marketing budget for the Arctic Monkeys (Artistic Monies?) compared
to the resources used by the Sugababes/Robbie/McFlys of this world must be miniscule.

No doubt the success is anything but "accidental" - but it sure will have the big four
a tad bit worried (although it took only 7000 singles to reach number one -
here is a market ripe for this sort of staged attack).

Or as Jon King (Gang of Four/now The Publishing Agency) would put it
"a unique oppurtunity to use our experience as
a true multi-channel creator of brand stories in all media".
Good news for Mr King then - who knows a bit about (re)packaging.

---

Seems like the kids can't get enough of these sort of bands?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Ness Rowlah said:
Seems like the kids can't get enough of these sort of bands?

well they have no other choices, this kind of bland rock is shoved down their throats, it's all the new music mags cover and radio .
i do admire the way smaller labels have beaten bigger ones at their own game with carefully marketed and planned missions into the charts but when it all comes down to impressing your peers in music week then things are fucked - especially when the quality of the music is so low and established acts actually do much better without all this stuff simply because the music is great and they have a strong valuable identity they have worked hard to create.
it is a lush revenge tho and i hope all this planning and strategy can be used to more exciting means

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I'd certainly stand up for Franz Ferdinand- that first album is extremely good, I reckon. Haven't heard the second one, although I think they'll have become a bit over-ripe. But that one album is extremely tasty.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ha, yeah I know you hate them, and I think there's good reason to dislike this retro trend of guitar rock. However, whereas most of those bands make you feel rather unclean after hearing them, spending time with Franz Ferdinand is more stimulating. "Dark Of The Matinee", that's a really great song about schools, rather Pet Shop Boys esque. OK, it's like talking to a a smart arsed mate of yours, but stimulating nonetheless for me.

I do dislike this whole "edgy guitar" thing has been over-played, to the point where the guitars ar the very opposite of edgy, they're extremely comfortable.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
I do dislike this whole "edgy guitar" thing has been over-played, to the point where the guitars ar the very opposite of edgy, they're extremely comfortable.

well yeah its got owt to do with post punk or anything there and more to do with steely dan which would be better if this was admitted

stelfox

Beast of Burden
do people here hate arctic monkeys? i don't. in fact, i think they're great. they're totally honest, exuberant and sound like they're having real fun with what they're doing - making brilliantly hooky garage rock. they're all about 12 and you genuinely believe they're just thrilled to be in a band. this is a good thing, obviously. of course, they need to split up after one fabulous album, but for now they're totally welcome on my radio. maximo park sound, on the other hand, arch, calculated and absolutely NOT geeky in any way whatsoever.

Last edited: