at the tate

jenks

thread death
Just got back from a visit to Tate Britain, ostensibly to see the Sickert et al exhibition. That was all preety much first class - lautrec, degas, bonnard, whistler - genuinely thrilling stuff , finishing off with 'ennui' as the final picture reminded me of just how good sickert could be and how wonky things are at present, as if to confirm this....

then went to see the Turner prize - couldn't quite work it all out - paintings were nice but not remarkable, the shed was a good shed, the video installations ok but not half as moving as they'd like to be and the final room of kitch birds a bit naff

however

all was redeemed by the new ofili space 'upper room' which was just amazing - put me in mind of the rothko room that used to be in a very similar space.

it's a series of 13 images - 12 very similar images of a monkey with varying coloured backgrounds - the usual elephant dung is involved but theyare lambent works of striking originality which put the mundane attempts of the turner prize to shame.

be interested to hear what others have to say about both the turner and upper room

finished off with a trip to the british museum to see the palmer exhibition but that's another story...

jenks

thread death
these are from the tate website - they give an impression of the chapel like atmosphere but the light effects are difficult to convey.

each picture is of a macaque monkey with a wild swirling background of glitter, some kind of varnish, acrylic dots, dung etc but each is primarily one colour - your eye just hits these whooshes of colour. and like a lot of these series paintings the effect is accumulative, the effect grows as you work your way round this darkened wooden room.

it's almost as if you have wandered into a place dedicated to god you know nothing about - a monkey spirit from a culture you know nothing about.

strangely emotional and spiritual whilst also remaining witty.

i am aware there has been some backlash about the money the tate has spent on this but considering this is free access whilst you have to pay to see the turner prize i know where i would rather wander

owen

hmmm curious. i do like the idea of having specifically designed rooms rather than the usual white wall tedium (taken to a risible extent in the kabakov thing at the serpentine at the mo, incidentally) but i'm a little unsure about ofili- so often his stuff just seems like mere decoration, like its designed to be on the wall in some obnoxiously bijou brixton eaterie. nonetheless i may go and have a look at this.

am (predictably) going to this also if anyone fancies popping along...

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/eventseducation/talksdiscussions/davidkingrevolution3950.htm

Last edited: