scanning in 12" covers - How do YOU do it?

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm a bit baffled as to how people do this. Matt Woebot's scans, especially.

My scanner is A4, so I could in theory, scan it various parts of the cover and then put it all together in Photoshop, which is like a jigsaw puzzle and takes quite a long time.

On the other hand I could take pics of them with my digital camera, which seems to come out fairly pants also. The main trouble is the flash - which then reflects back into the lens and appears on the photo. Ok, so you can get round this by angling the cover, but then it looks rubbish.

I've tried taking shots outside, but I dunno, it still all seems to have shadows or shading or whatever on it.

So.... over to you good folks - any tips?

Woebot

john eden said:
I'm a bit baffled as to how people do this. Matt Woebot's scans, especially.

My scanner is A4, so I could in theory, scan it various parts of the cover and then put it all together in Photoshop, which is like a jigsaw puzzle and takes quite a long time.

On the other hand I could take pics of them with my digital camera, which seems to come out fairly pants also. The main trouble is the flash - which then reflects back into the lens and appears on the photo. Ok, so you can get round this by angling the cover, but then it looks rubbish.

I've tried taking shots outside, but I dunno, it still all seems to have shadows or shading or whatever on it.

So.... over to you good folks - any tips?
ha ha! people always ask me how i do this! funny to see you're "nearly there" grasshopper.

you have to use a digital camera, otherwise youre stitching stuff together (that is unless you have access to an a3 scanner). best way is to put the record sleeve in strong daylight square on, this is usually more hard to predict (especially in the uk, and youre blogging in the wee hours). so:

a) if you're using a flash YES take the photo on an angle.
b) THEN take it into photoshop and use the free transform function to skew the perspective
c) i usually mess with the levels and bung on a sharpness filter.

hey presto!

ambrose

WOEBOT said:
a) if you're using a flash YES take the photo on an angle.
b) THEN take it into photoshop and use the free transform function to skew the perspective
c) i usually mess with the levels and bung on a sharpness filter.

hey presto!

bloody hell, some of those posts must have taken you 30000 hours!