A lifetime spent on Music

D

droid

Anybody catch this last week?

£21,000 - the average lifetime's bill for music

Oct 19 2005

Tryst Williams, Western Mail

IF MUSIC be the food of love, pay on.

Because the record-buying habit is costing the average consumer an astonishing £21,000 throughout their lifetime, new research reveals today.

The equivalent of about 2,000 CDs may seem out of tune with most people's spending, but that figure includes everything from music equipment, concerts, festivals, downloads and the cost of nightclubbing.

Story continues Continue story

Roger Ramsden, a director at insurance company Prudential, which carried out the survey, said, "Most people would describe themselves as a music fan of some sort or another, but what is really amazing is just how much money people find themselves spending on it - £21,000 is a staggering amount of money."

Yet while that may seem excessive, real enthusiasts end up spending more than double this figure.

Of the 1,188 people surveyed last month, about 11% described themselves as diehard fans who will spend more than £44,000 during their lives.

That figure is made up of £1,432-worth of equipment overall, as well as up to £550 on CDs, £291 on gigs and events and £46 on magazines during each of their peak record-buying years.

For the typical music fan, researchers said the spending amounted to £891-worth of music-playing equipment and up to £425 a year on CDs, gigs and magazines.

Meanwhile the 50% of the population who claim they do not spend much on music still manage to get through nearly £250 a year.

Ellen Davies, marketing manager for Welsh record label Sain, said, "Those figures wouldn't surprise me taken across a lifetime. On average I buy about two CDs a month and then there's concerts and weekends and so forth."

And forget the stereotypes - it's not just teenagers and twenty-somethings who are spending their cash on the latest tunes.

Sain's records are bought by the slightly older music fans of singers like Bryn Terfel and Aled Jones, in addition to the younger crowd catered for by the company's sub-labels Crai and Rasal.

"Record sales are still the main part of our market - the CD is the main product we sell," she said, before adding that the company was looking to expand into download services and ringtones in the near future.

Meanwhile, the survey also revealed that seven out of 10 people go to a musical event every year. Nightclubs were most popular among the under-34s, while people aged over 55 preferred concerts and musicals.

Original Article

£21,000 Sterling. Thats about 28,000 euro. About the price of an early Hyper-on-E 12" on Ebay... :D

Anyone get the feeling youve already passed the average? Got rooms full of vinyl? Boxes of tapes? Tripping over piles of CD's? What about all those walkmen youve bought and promptly killed down through the years? Personally Ive spent fuck all on gigs and magazines in comparison to equipment and vinyl for DJng, but I truly fear the result of a more detailed calculation....

henry s

Street Fighting Man
a bargain at ANY price

we're all entitled to at least one addiction, anyway, and music isn't physically debilitating...

I'm well over the mark...and if time really is money, how to attach a figure to hours/days/months aggregate combing through dusty music stores, record fairs, blogs, etc.?

time was, I was a bit ashamed of the sheer amount of music "stuff" I'd accumulated...(I purged boxes and boxes of music magazines several years back, saving only back issues of The Wire)...now, not so much...there are far worse things to surround oneself with...it's probably a lot cheaper to cover your walls with stacks of records and the like than a few really cool paintings, anyway...

D

droid

Cmon people. I know that some of you high rollers have got shameful tales of extravagant musical opulence to share with the rest of us - so hurry up and spill the caviar!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I keep a careful accounting of all the records I buy and so far I have spent $1932 on vinyl. I figure around $200 on live performances and another $400 on cd's. Add $1000 for music equipment, blank cd's etc. and my total lifetime consumption of music is around $3600. I am guessing most people spend the majority of their music budget on concerts/nights out. I don't go to clubs regularly and only attend about 3 live performances a year.

Raw Patrick

I've probably spent about the national average already but luckily I'm going to make up for it by grabbing everything free from the internet from now on.

(Not really.)

zhao

there are no accidents
well over the past 30 days I have spent about $150 on psych and improvised folk stuff like the Jewled Antler Collective... including this 3 CD box of Norwegian improvisation...

about $100 on Southern hiphop.

about $200 on other CD's, jazz, classical, dancehall, etc. (just last night spent $86.00 at a record store)

so far it's around $450... fuck! I need to be careful!

"hi, my name is Confucius and I'm a music addict..."

soundslike1981

~2800 CDs, though I've traded in/sold about 500 of those. Most shows have been quite inexpensive, I can't imagine they add up to much. I'd imagine I'm already past that supposed average. Sad part--I'm only 25.

soundslike1981

I'm fairly certain it qualifies as an addiction in a literal sense. But frankly, I'm ok with it. It's not hurting my health, I don't have any other "vices" (no drugs, no smokes, no alcohol, etc.) and I don't really buy anything else but food, and I can freely "push" the drug of choice without hurting people.

I'm feeling proud of myself because I think I've only managed to buy about 5-10 albums in the last five or six weeks.