iphoto wackness

tryptych

waiting for a time
Arg. I'm really pissed of with iphoto. Im using version 2.1 (that came free with my ibook), and despite Apple's supposed claims that it sorts photos by the date they were taken, it insists on sorting photos ive imported from a PC by the date they were modified, not taken (iphoto itself will display the correct dates if you ask for the properties, but it puts them in folders titlted with the date of last modification).

add to this the fact that the apple finder windows dont show thumbnails, unless you've already modified them in iphoto, makes it really unwieldy.

anyone recommend any other photo oraganising programs for OSX, or should I just upgrade to iphoto 5? is it worth it?

Woebot

spackb0y said:
Arg. I'm really pissed of with iphoto. Im using version 2.1 (that came free with my ibook), and despite Apple's supposed claims that it sorts photos by the date they were taken, it insists on sorting photos ive imported from a PC by the date they were modified, not taken (iphoto itself will display the correct dates if you ask for the properties, but it puts them in folders titlted with the date of last modification).

add to this the fact that the apple finder windows dont show thumbnails, unless you've already modified them in iphoto, makes it really unwieldy.

anyone recommend any other photo oraganising programs for OSX, or should I just upgrade to iphoto 5? is it worth it?

iview is brilliant.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/index2.php

domtyler

Teasmaid
I second that recommendation for iView. Also, Photoshop CS has an inbuilt file browser function which can sort images by date created, date modified or any other variable. I use it a lot and it's very functional especially for things like editing multiple IPTC fields, but you might not need this.

If you want something with bells on and are running a mac, Apple just launched Aperture which has had me salivating for a while, I don't think it's out here in the UK yet buy you can get a preview here:http://www.apple.com/aperture/

It'll cost you but it looks fine....

There's a very good piece of software called fotostation which I've used in the past which might do the things you want, I seem to remember it had very useful functions to re-organise sets of images.

Hope this helps.