Bloc Party vs. Moose

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I just saw the video to the new Bloc Party song. Earnest, trendy, 'intelligent' fluff, but they are liberally pinching from the shoegazer ethic, especially the fetishisation of guitar fx pedals - the unheralded tech-trademark of the whole shoegazer early 90s shtick...ANYWAY I've recently downloaded some stuff by MOOSE, those neither here-nor-there shoegazers, that in hindsight and the typical fermentation of 'art' seem to have emerged in 2005 as the best of the bunch. 'Suzanne' pretty much being the best distallation of the 'dream pop' sound by any band - the House of Love/Pale Saints/Sonic YOuth stylings all nicely in check and undated.

In some ways MOOSE were the ECHO and the BUNNYMEN of the shoegazer scene that celebrated itself. Original, pretentious and desperately trying to find some 'roots' to hang their indentity on, for MOOSE it was some sort of Tim Buckley 'Starsailor' thing via that early 70s LA-space-country whatever, they were outmoded by Merc rev.. When you think of bands like Wilco, Sigu Ros, Bloc Party and any other 'post rock' over-rated twerps that come along, Moose really weren't 'over-rated' but actually pretty good, and even had some decent choons to boot!

And BLoc Party, I mean what are they? Thing is they're really commerical and big and hyped, people comented on the 'scene that celebrated' itself, but compared to the dreck today, at least they had some semblance of of a SOUND worth celebrating for the 6-12 months that it lastest...

Last edited: