R.Meltzer digs...SCRITTI POLLITTI?!!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
They get bandied about a bit by SR, all I remember of them is 'Wood Beez' and once Mili Vanilli did a talksohow here in Australia, and one of them said they got their name from 'Scritti Polliti'!

But I nearly had a coronary when I read that R.Meltzer, the unsung 'Godfather' of rock is a fan!

More recent Brit shit?--OK. Scritti Politti, 12-inch 45--what's this even called? 4 A-Sides? Pre-Langue Release? How postmodrin. One "side," which?, I'm never sure, makes ref to Mussolini.

Read more here:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/covers/vinyl.html

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I love the early Scritti Politti singles, before Green got rid of everyone and became slightly famous

Skank Bloc Bologna / Is and Ought the Western World
Peel Session EP
4 A Sides

all great :)

D84

I recently picked up "Cupid & Psyche" and the recent one "Anomie & Bonhomie" at a 2nd hand CD shop - my curiosity was piqued with all the discussion here and on the blogs.

So far I prefer Cupid but it's rather sickly sweet at some points - some excellent rhythms too. I'm not sure about the more recent one though: I like the cool pads etc and esp. when he lets the rappers do their their own thing - not sure about the guitars and vocals yet though ... I'm curious about the earlier stuff though.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
subvert47 said:
I love the early Scritti Politti singles, before Green got rid of everyone and became slightly famous)

couldn't agree more, all that ghastly soft pop and falsetto bollox from Green mid 80s, eurrrgh, :mad:

jed_

Buick6 said:
But I nearly had a coronary when I read that R.Meltzer, the unsung 'Godfather' of rock is a fan!

]

i dunno why this is the least bit surprising.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
surely nobody here gives a rats ass about "Provision"...nobody except a fool like me, of course...I was getting dumped by a gal back when "Provision" came out, and I took a weird kind of solace in all that stuff about being "lovesick"...still consider this album to be the aural equivalent of comfort food...is this the stuff of guilty pleasures?

owen

i got a reason girl, it was immanuel kant's

hmm, i thought 'cupid & psyche' was as canonical as the rough trade stuff--dissensus in pop doubting shocker.... but much as i love 'absolute' and so forth, i was mortiified discovering in a junk shop t'other day an old copy of Blitz with a pic of Green with the most ghastly mullet and look of total self-satisfaction, with 'Green Gartside's World of Words' as the headline. ewww.
in fact, just to weaken my case further i myself currently have a not dissimilar follicle disaster to 80s green...

So I just checked out 'White Bread Black Beer', nice album. For some reason I expected Green to sound older/different/more mature. Pleasant surprise to find out he still sounds like 'Cupid and Psyche. Incidentally on a quick google I was surprised to note Heaven 17 members Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh having production and programming credits on 'Shes a woman' with Shabba Ranks of which I had the vinyl of back in the day. I think it was the tautology business mix I felt most.
Also surprised to note the Heaven 17/Human League connection.
http://www.sheffieldvision.com/aboutmis_bands_h17.html

swears

preppy-kei
Cupid and Psyche 85 is one of my fave albums, not one duff track on it. I love the spooky high pitched voice thing and the chiming synths. You can tell it must have taken them ages to get those tunes arranged. Not too keen on the early noisy stuff or the lame attempt at hip hop on bonhomie. He's best just sticking to glossy, hi-tech pop.
The videos and photos from that mid eighties era are great too, so preppy and un-rock n roll.