Richie Hawtin DE9: Transitions

ryan17

i picked this up today.

it is halloween and watching the dvd of hawtin's head rotating 360 degrees with that awful haircut is something quite similar to a horror movie, but on the up side it really is a masterpiece.

its a continuation of his 'pushing the boundaries' of techno decks/effects series and it is pretty much doing just that.

i have listened to it a few times but it really hasn't sunk in yet.

it definitely has a more of an album feel to it then a mix.

anyone else heard it?

mms

sometimes
yeah i know what you mean about sinking in .
i'm kinda resistant to straight 4/4 these days but then like you've just come up on a drug, this cd starts to make sense when you least expect it .
lots of the amazing 0 tracks on sahko i have mentioned before and everyone should own - on it .
http://www.warprecords.com/?mart=sahko06lp

i wish he would cut his hair tho he looks like prussian blues' trendy press agent

Moodles

I'm looking forward to checking it out, although I thought DE9: Closer To The Edit wasn't as good as the first one. It seemed like the computer editing made the overall mix less smooth than when he was mixing with turntables. It's like every minute or so, there is an abrupt transition to the next track, like he has severe ADD or something. I liked the first DE9 because it was super smooth and sounded like one continuous piece even though he was mixing in dozens of different tracks.

I hear he used some super-secret new technology to make this latest one. How does it compare to the first two?

mms

sometimes
atomly said:
God I love that CD. I also am a big fan of the Sleeparchive stuff that was a direct descendent of it.

it's the first time it's out on vinyl - just the dancey bits tho
there is an amazing remix of a regis track by them going around at the mo called asbestos - its all grainy crackles and grey scale soul - excellent

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
mms said:
it's the first time it's out on vinyl - just the dancey bits tho
there is an amazing remix of a regis track by them going around at the mo called asbestos - its all grainy crackles and grey scale soul - excellent

That will be the Re:Group one, pretty cool stuff as is Hawtin new album...