Kray Twinz

Woebot

Everywhere I look these Sikh production dudes:

http://www.kraytwinz.co.uk/

This is Desi as opposed to Bhangra.

Its a distinction that has become clearer in the last year or so. Desi is "Asian version of..." This lot (who used to produce stuff with a more straight Bhangra flavour- I think they were Punjabi MC's team behind the Jay Z "Mundian Tu Bachke" record) were more Bhangra - but the latest tune "What We Do" a mildly tabla-fied version of Low Deep's Str8 Flush with Twista on top, doesnt have much Bhangra flava at all.

Me I like Bhangra but this is OK too.

Apparently they've loads of money behind them.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i think Str8 Flush was a remix of the Kray Twins, something Lowdeep failed to mention when making his name off it.

gumdrops

from the bits i heard of it, the album's pretty much straight down the middle mainstream 'urban' fare, but with a few little desi touches and flourishes scattered about...

Fiddy

Blackdown said:
i think Str8 Flush was a remix of the Kray Twins, something Lowdeep failed to mention when making his name off it.

dont think it was intentional cause at that point the Krayz had no intention of releasing it... was only when Straight Flush got big and Twista picked out the original beat as something he wanted to vocal that What We Do came about... I'm looking forward to hearing stuff they've done for DMX's album

Woebot

Blackdown said:

REALLY! Thats pretty impressive then.

gabriel

The Heatwave
apparently kray twinz have signed sticky to their label (what's their label?) and their album features gappy ranx and lady stush, both of whom are on sticky's dancehall riddim the charleston - so there's obviously some link there...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
actually matt, they're defiantly NOT desi. i inbterviewed them a couple of weeks ago and they say they're straight-up hip-hop. they never really listened to bhangra and the panjabi mc track was the very first production they ever did, more as an experiment than anything else. most of their other stuff is, indeed, straight-up hip-hop and they're pretty adamant about not wanting to be seen as "asian" artists and insist that they don't use asian motifs any more than, say, timbaland. i dunno quite how far i agree with them but i certainly would go along with their statement that they are not desi producers. and as for money and a publicist doing wonderful things, there's a little more to it than that. they've been on the grind, getting to know the right people for years, are totally hooked up now (dmx went to record his verses for their album at jaz's place in coventry etc etc) and are pretty nice, honest, enthusiastic dudes who really enjoy what they're doing and are into bigging up and promoting british music, not moaning and grumbling and actually doing nothing to help.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Money and a publicist can do wonderful things when it comes to making the public believe what you want them to believe.

D

droid

stelfox said:
does anyone know how to do an eye-rolling emoticon?

The smilie icons on the right of the reply window

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He looks more angelic than contemptuous though...

gabriel

The Heatwave
stelfox said:
does anyone know how to do an eye-rolling emoticon?
and which original track, martin?

the low deep str8 flush one

re: another track - the panjabi mc one - if the kray twinz produced it, and the vocal is by someone who isn't panjabi mc (can't remember the name, but it's credited on the record), then what exactly did panjabi mc have to do wtih the whole thing? (I'd always thought he produced it)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the lowdeep str8 flush track i have no idea about. i always figured that was lowdeep for obvious reasons.. mundian te bach ke is definitely, definitely a kray twins production, though. i always assumed that panjabi mc was on vox.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Kray Twins aren't credited anywhere for the production of Mundian Te Bach Ke apart from interviews they have done.

Which would be ironic considering Low Deep isn't credited anywhere for the production of What We Do.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
logan, do me a favour and would you please EXPLAIN what you're on about. i don't really have time to decipher a bunch of cryptic one-liners today.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
If I were to hypothetically pay you for a beat outright, and you were to agree to let me claim the credit for creating it in it's entireity, and then I publicised the agreed fact, would money and a good publicist not be doing wonderful things for my musical career if said track was a success?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
is that what you are saying happened, though, and in which instance with which tune and which producer?a straight answer is a good thing sometimes!!!