Speed of Dissensus

Woebot

Bit of behind the scenes wrangling between me and the hosts of Dissensus.

I've found there to be a hang when it comes to posting threads. Have other people experienced this???

I think its down to the speed of the host server. The problem, if you can call it that, is that the board has been getting busier and busier.

Looking at the stats there's been a steady growth of the traffic on the board. As I check in only once a day I've also noticed that there's also been quite a marked increase in the amount of new threads daily (which I'm really pleased about...) It used to be about 25, now its more ususally about 40.

Unfortunately I'm already on a "Large" package (with a 6GB monthly bandwidth limit- within megabytes of being exceeded this month)- the next step up is a Virtual Server, and I just can't afford the $90/month fees.

Problem?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Tried to send this private Woe, but your message limit has been reached
(I thought you guys gave yourselves a hefty limit?).

I am quite pleased with Dreamhost after having hosted my podcasting
experiment there for a year or so.

8 dollars for 120/GB month. A high profile website
like zeldman.com (which must get a millions hits a day?) is hosted there.
Unlimited number of domains as well -
so I am in the process of consolidating my "web empire" to dreamhost.

Disclosure: I will get a signup fee if you use this Dreamhost link to sign up.

Nessie

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Is Dissensus in need of a hosting fund?

Or you able to pay for it as a business expense and set it against tax? (You probably should...)

Woebot

2stepfan said:
Is Dissensus in need of a hosting fund?

Or you able to pay for it as a business expense and set it against tax? (You probably should...)

They've moved it onto something better specced so there may be an improvement.

And yes its all claimed back against tax.

Somewhere down the line i may have to set up a fund which people contribute to, that is unless some white knight shows up with a bit of server space- this incidentally is what happened with ilm)

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I'd probably be up for a bit of hosting fund cash.

I haven't had too much of a hang posting threads, but I do sometimes get a timed out message when opening threads.

Woebot

ha! also just fixed something on the software (relics of earlier versions of vBulletin) which seems to have speeded everything up too...

john eden

male pale and stale
yeah it's slow for me - I just had to refresh 3 times to get it to work and I have (not great) broadband.

Dreamhost - there are complaints about their service getting worse and things slowing down if you use up mysql.

Hang tight and see how it holds I think. Then ask people to stump up / add a paypal button.

The only alternative is make it available to registered members only - i.e. you can't see it unless you have signed up. this is a bad idea usually - puts off casual browsers. Plus I don't want to log in at work as such things are now frowned on.

nomos

Administrator
Dreamhost - there are complaints about their service getting worse and things slowing down if you use up mysql.
They've just double-billed me for my renewal :mad: And of course the panel and even their main site are down.

EDIT: Though they were very good and quick about fixing it.

Last edited: