PDA

View Full Version : Todd Edwards

craner
26-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Hello, I'm Oliver, and I'm a Todd addict. I just got his latest Cd, which I saved up for by not drinking wine or smoking for a week. It's called 'New Trend Sounds - Classics, Remixes and Beyond' - a dismal, unappetising title, and not one his best collections, but it should keep me fixed until January. It has a gorgeous remix of 'Winter Behaviour,' which is nothing like the original. I had quite a lot of personal investment in the original, and this didn't remind me of any good/bad memories, <em>that's</em> how different it is. All Todd sounds the same. But if you love it, you love it. You never get bored of it. On a pirate show last week, some DJ played 2 hours of Todd tracks, and said, half way through, "I was about to say, this is one of my favourites, but they're all my favourites!" I knew exactly what he meant.

Any fellow sufferers? If so, what makes Todd 'Jesus Juice' Edwards so addictive? And why do I find this predilection slightly perverse, like liking Jess Franco films, for instance? (Oh, and regarding the latter, I do, by the way.)

gff
28-11-2004, 01:30 AM
yes, I love Todd Edwards. I've only heard Full On 2 and the Nervous tracks thing, and about an equal amount of d/l'd stuff, but yes, he's unreal. His vertiginous mesmerizing detail has been well commented on ("ooer microsampling"), but what i love abt him is a) changes keys mid-phrase with a felicity very much like prime stevie wonder and b) that totally unique warm metallic palette of percussion sounds that are neither snares nor hats that populate his interstitial beats. I can't listen to him for too much too long, but I think that's the tempo getting to me.

I've never heard him out, but then, I don't go out, at least, not to hear anything where someone should be playing him and isn't. There is a track of his on a ukg comp I have and it does stick out a bit, he's a singularity.

blissblogger
28-11-2004, 02:13 AM
the weird thing about todd is that he's not god over here, in this town (new york), not at all

some years ago i went in Dance Tracks which is the deep house store over here, got some kind of connection to the Body 'n'Soul lot, and asked for a Todd 12 inch and the guy gave me a sneery look almost as if i'd asked for something by Tiesto

Todd E played a rare dj set in manhattan a year or so ago, i got to meet him -- very nice, as you might imagine. has this weird glow about him, perhaps people who've been saved all have this vibe -- his skin seemed very fresh, you couldn't imagine him with five oclock shadow -- the set was good but got a bit wearing after a bit, all that gasping rapturous breath

still yes he's great and if i'd thought it had a hope of getting in there, i'd have proposed one of his tracks for the Wire's Great Riffs of All Time spread, probably push the love or alabama

DavidD
28-11-2004, 06:20 AM
For the neophyte - what ARE his best collections? I've only heard his remix of "Loveshy" and that cut "Shut the Door." Is it like those two, like Akufen or something?

xero
28-11-2004, 03:51 PM
the weird thing about todd is that he's not god over here, in this town (new york), not at all

Is Edwards a New Jersey denizen? I! records, his label is based there I think - is that the reason for the slight disdain from manhattanites? I'm just speculating, don't know much about New York prejudices. I guess that Metro Area are looked on more favourably by the Dance Trax clique though & they're New Jersey based. Perhaps its just that Edwards is seen as spawning a commercial sound, not serious enough for the dad-house beards. I love his stuff tho, even if he is a one-trick pony, it's a mighty trick

dubplatestyle
28-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi, my name is Jess, and I've been a Todd sufferer for four years now. My favorite Todd Edwards trax are "Push The Love," "Incidental," "Never Far From You," as well as the remixes of "Alabama Blues," Mantra's "Away," and Hakan Lidbo's "Walk Away." For me, "Push The Love" might be his most sublime moment as well as one of his simplest. Yeah, yeah the crosshatching, BUT the real shiver up the spine moment is when the fairly untreated femme vocal goes "keep on pushin" and her pushin is smeared by echo into the middle distance, a fairly common house technique but executed goose-pimply perfectly. It's gorgeous late-nite neon longing business. My favorite Todd album is actually a mix cd he put together which features only a handful of his actual productions called "Tales From The Underground," which rides that brief 1998 interzone between speed garage and 2-step. (Btw, I think his influence on 2-step has been massively overstated.) It's a little more swingy/shuffley than his usual boogling bassline/skipping hi-hats preset. (As great as the Nervous stuff and the "Full On"s are, that endlessly sizzling, tsssching hi-hat can burrow right into your skull.) (Though all bets are off if I am driving.) The difference between Edwards and Akufen is one of speed (Todd rarely slows down or switches it up) (i.e. he's shooting specifically for the dancefloor every time) and one of force (his kicks really KICK, you can feel them in your chest.)

appleblim
28-11-2004, 10:51 PM
my name is laurie, and Todd the God first affected me when i started work at MVE in London....all the house boys there loved him, and it was contageous.... all about the Sample Choir 12" on Nervous, and his remix of Moloko...can't remember the tune, but i had a total epiphany to it in a mates car listenin to one of those 4x4 garage stations.......

also, all about the one Dan Bell drops on "the button down mind..." mix cd, remix of a Tuff Jam/RIP track i think.......sick tune....sick mix cd! anyone remember that? i rinsed that EVERY morning for about 3 months when i worked in the camden dance basement.......aaaah memories....!

xero
29-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Ha Ha I guess the road to recovery for todd addicts would be just two steps instead of twelve eh?

Matos_W.K.
29-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi. I'm Michaelangelo, and I'm heading into my eighth year of Todd-mania. It all began with his remix of Mantra's "Away," which I heard on Tuff Jams Presents Speed Garage, a 1998 mix. I think that one's still my favorite. I saw him in 2001 (was that the same one you were at Simon? or are you talking about a different appearance?) at a NYC 2step night and he seemed . . . touched is I think the right word here. not stupid or anything, just kind of savant-like, as if he were answering to a different call than the rest of us at any given moment. (the "God is a DJ" shirt he wore didn't hurt either.) when he spun it took about a half-hour for the crowd to move en masse; most of 'em just stood there, bewildered. he played all his own tracks except for one I can't remember, which is exactly what I'd hoped he'd do.

favorite Todd-not-Todd fact: a LOT more techno people are fans of his than I'd have thought. I wrote a piece about Full On Vol. 2 and Akufen's My Way in the Village Voice last year (in which I was one of those people who overstated Todd's effect on 2step--sorry about that, kids, though he did have a good-sized effect on it if not like a fatherhood type one, and as that 2step night in NYC demonstrates he did get his props from that scene) and expected opprobrium from every direction. instead about a half-dozen people, all of whom I'd pegged as techno-not-house folk, asked, "Where the hell did you get that Todd Edwards CD? I had no idea there was one! I LOVE Todd Edwards!" it's still one of the nicest responses I've ever gotten from a piece.

fave trax/remixes: Mantra, "Away"; "Never Far from You"; "Beckon Call (2003 Remix)"; "Savior Tonight" ("You saved my life! YOU SAVED MY LIFE!"); Daft Punk, "Face to Face" (love that early '80s AOR vocal!); St. Germain, "Alabama Blues" (his masterpiece?); Kristine Blond, "Loveshy." search Full On Vol. 1 & 2.

this post is dedicated to Spencer Chow, Todd-ist supreme.

Ach!
29-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Matos_W.K.:
Mantra, "Away"; "Never Far from You"; "Beckon Call (2003 Remix)"; "Savior Tonight" ("You saved my life! YOU SAVED MY LIFE!"); Daft Punk, "Face to Face" (love that early '80s AOR vocal!); St. Germain, "Alabama Blues" (his masterpiece?); Kristine Blond, "Loveshy."

Agree wholeheartedly with that Todd selection! I've got the cravings now, got to get a fix...

run_time
01-08-2005, 10:28 PM
anyone check out the Richie Vibe Vee show from last week - has Todd Edwards doing a guest mix which includes his own personal take on the lords prayer in a ukg stylee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/tracklistings/richievee/richietracks.shtml

Keith P
01-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Todd has always been the premiere 4X4 producer.

DJ PIMP
01-08-2005, 11:58 PM
The soul masseur.

Melchior
02-08-2005, 01:52 AM
For the neophyte - what ARE his best collections? I've only heard his remix of "Loveshy" and that cut "Shut the Door." Is it like those two, like Akufen or something?

I'll second this. If you could only have one Todd CD which would it be? I've liked everything I've heard, but I haven't heard very much.

Omaar
02-08-2005, 10:28 AM
One of my fave tunes is 'never far from you', buy there are bits in it that musically make no sense to me whatsoever - I think it's maybe the bassline, it just sounds really random - still really like it though. This happens in other tunes too, there are passages that I hear that make me wonder what on earth kind of key he's playing in - its not the modulation that throws me, its the key he uses within sections - it just sounds very weird to me. Sometimes everything seems normal and then he modulates somewhere into a new passage and all the tunefulness and harmony seems to disappear temporarily. maybe this makes me like it more, not sure. Anyone else get this feeling?

boosted
04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm here to proclaim my Todd addiction as well :) Lucky for me, there's a shop here in South Beach that gets i! releases quite regularly. Actually, last time I looked there were still 3 or 4 copies of Nu Trends 2004 in stock.

My current favs from TTG:

Walk With Me
Shut The Door
Stop the Fighting
Stormy Day

hoping for some new stuff to hit the shops soon. Saw a listing on the last Vibe Vee show that there's a new Todd white label out there. Anyone got it yet?

Paul R
12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi I'm Paul and also a huge Todd fan,

I realised Todd was God when I first heard 'Sample Choir - The Praise'

and I agree with whoever remarked on his Key changes, they are so extreme and happen when you least expect them - what makes them so aurally arousing

i think my personal selection would b something like;

Heavy Weather - Love Can't Turn Around
Wildchild - Jump To My Beat (chorus is sick)
Can't You Believe
The Praise (God In His Hand)
Push The Love
Winter Behaviour
You Don't Want To Lose It
Forgiven
Radio Thing
You're The One

DJL
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
30min Todd Edwards mix recorded today:

http://idisk.mac.com/rupertread1-Public

1. Todd Edwards - Can't Live Without U
2. Todd Edwards - Dancing For Heaven
3. Todd Edwards - Never Far From You
4. Songstress - See Line Woman '99 (Todd Edwards Remix)
5. Lonyo - In Ayia Napa (Todd Edwards Perfect Dub)
6. Sound Of One - As I Am (Todd Edwards Mix)
7. Todd Edwards - Push The Love
8. Tuff Jam - Need Good Love (Todd Edwards Main Mix)

DigitalDjigit
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
thanks for the mix. todd edwards is one of those acts I heard about but never got a chance to check out. Did you forget to adjust the balance control on the mixer? It's heavily panned to the left.

DJL
12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
thanks for the mix. todd edwards is one of those acts I heard about but never got a chance to check out. Did you forget to adjust the balance control on the mixer? It's heavily panned to the left.

Yeah I dunno why its done that - bit annoying. Has done this before - only thing I did a bit different on this one compared to other recent mixes was increase the volume. Think that might be the problem as its done it before. My decks are in a different room to my computer so I have to record on minidsic and then plug that into my mac. I'm also using some pretty lame sound editor called Sound Studio that crashes all the time :mad:

Terror Danjah Australis
13-08-2005, 10:22 AM
talking about Todd as a substance and an addiction makes total sense, all his stuff really sounds like it's made from the same delicious goo, and overlistening really does seem strangely irresistable yet unhealthy at times, makes you queasy, delirious, you can't believe you can listen to something so cheesy and seemingly monotonous for so long. When a track by him comes in in the middle of a mix it's like some parts of the brain get suddenly switched on that you forgot existed. So it's the key changes and the microsampling, so many different emotions crammed into a bar, but what else, who here that knows about the technicalities of production can tell us? Akufen's stuff is deliberately disjointed like most IDM, but Todd's connects wild disparities into a single squiggly line. I wouldn't call it his best track but the one I've listened to most and have the most special connection to is 'Shut the Door' simply because it was at the start of a CD I had in my car, and I listened to it before and after I rang this girl and got rejected. It makes me melt.

DigitalDjigit
13-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Akufen's stuff is deliberately disjointed like most IDM, but Todd's connects wild disparities into a single squiggly line.

Yes! Isn't the latter so much better than the former (not that I don't like Akufen, only his "disjointed" parts)?

So can anyone point out any of those weird keychanges in the mix DJL posted?

mpc
14-08-2005, 05:53 PM
never really liked todd edwards. a few kids in my school used to collect his records, which i found funny at the time.

ALTHOUGH, i once remember listening to a mix of that kind of stuff my friend had done while i was off my face and thought it was fantastic. reminded me of click house with all the micro sampling and stutters.

his remix of phoenix is amazing.

DJL
15-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes! Isn't the latter so much better than the former (not that I don't like Akufen, only his "disjointed" parts)?

So can anyone point out any of those weird keychanges in the mix DJL posted?

Its weird - that mix is the first time I've played all those tunes together and it really takes away some of the disjointedness of the tunes. It's much more noticable when they are played on their own or next to regular UK Garage.

Sarki
20-08-2005, 05:32 PM
it's great to hear that there are fans from all over the globe, it's always good to see Todd when he comes over the UK!

Grievous Angel
22-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I love Todd but I don't have any of his records, sadly.

Can someone repost / email me DJL's mix? It's expired...

And if there's a Todd CD recommendation here I missed it, can someone point it out for the hard-of-thinking?

DJL
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Todd Edwards mix with levels fixed:

nomos
16-02-2007, 09:02 PM
i'm really late, i know, but i think i'm catching this thing, which would follow, since i've been discovering all of this stuff backwards from the present. it has everything to do with falling more and more for itchy 2step with the mashed up vocals.

anyway, am i right in noticing a religious streak through his music? i've found at least one christian pop music site that bigs him up (http://www.christian-lyrics.net/community/discussion/324/check-out-todd-edwards-latest/) for this. "god will be there (http://www.juno.co.uk/products/68580-01.htm)" is a good example of tune that i think is musically fantastic but which i wouldn't want to play out or put in a mix. it's jarring, this sound that i associate with london pirates and a bit of hedonism next to this image of ardkore fundamentalist ravers peaking on G in the american heartland.

a little contextual help...?

and is "the best of i! records - 10 years of garage" a good entry point?

reactiv.cd
17-02-2007, 12:16 AM
anyway, am i right in noticing a religious streak through his music?

Yes. He is apparently a true blue born-again church-going Christian.

It's a bit mystifying to me as well. Call me a God-hater if you want but platitudes about Jesus in the middle of dance tracks make my dancing penis go soft.

DJ PIMP
17-02-2007, 05:05 AM
It's a bit mystifying to me as well. Call me a God-hater if you want but platitudes about Jesus in the middle of dance tracks make my dancing penis go soft.Anyone inside... that restless soul?

A welcome return of this thread. I love Edward's stuff, the way it shifts up and down in movements, like classical music painted in smeary pop disco watercolours. Great b-lines.

swears
17-02-2007, 12:43 PM
I got this Akufen CD "My Way" a few years back and the liner notes had this little essay going on about "microsampling" and the death of author, how nobody is really creative, etc, etc...
Well, yeah, especially people who rip off Todd Edwards as blatanly as you mate!
Not a bad album, maybe a bit dry and academic.

mms
17-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I got this Akufen CD "My Way" a few years back and the liner notes had this little essay going on about "microsampling" and the death of author, how nobody is really creative, etc, etc...
Well, yeah, especially people who rip off Todd Edwards as blatanly as you mate!
Not a bad album, maybe a bit dry and academic.

the music is fine, but yes that attitude of complete disregard for a strong linage, from hip hop sampling thru to any other street music and without a shadow of a doubt todd edwards, is pretty grim.

craner
20-02-2007, 07:00 PM
It's nothing to be ashamed of. I love you all!

swears
20-02-2007, 08:38 PM
His remix of "Show me love" by Robyn S is crap, don't think he was into all the microcuts yet then.

mixed_biscuits
14-03-2007, 01:09 PM
His latest album, Odyssey, is the very quintessence of cheese and all the better for it.

The second track, Next to You, sounds like it has Bjork on vocals. :)

henry s
14-03-2007, 04:01 PM
there's also a track that features a Michael McDonald clone, and a cheesy sax shows up on yet another...I want to hug this record!

MATT MAson
14-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I first heard the dub mix of Alabama Blues on a Ministry Sessions CD by Frankie Knuckles in 1995 and promptly stopped going to jungle dos and started going to Twice as Nice and buying garage records as a result.

He does indeed live in New Jersey, he's a really, really nice guy. I've had the pleasure of interviewing him and hanging out with him a few times. I think its actually pretty exceptional that he manages to get hie religious message out through his music without alienating the listener. I mean think about it - he's a total God-botherer from Jersey (influenced by the work of Enya no less) yet a pirate DJ in London can play a two hour set of just his records and no one bats an eyelid. Imagine if the Jehovah's Witnesses figured out how to do that!

I think the reason is he doesn't ram it down people's throats, he conveys spiritual ideas a lot of the time that cross boundaries and even though he uses words, the messages that come through his music aren't in the language as much as they are the sounds, and they are only religious ones to him. If he put out "Gay Marriage Is Evil" (The No Stem Cells dub mix) he'd probably lose me, but he sticks to very primitive ideas of spirituality, which isn't unusual in house music. He has talked to me about the ultimate spiritual experience for him being working in the studio and feeling like God is there with him. He's a pretty intense guy, in the nicest possible way.

As for Todd the DJ - I've never thought he's the best guy for the job. He's a great producer, but if you really want to hear a DJ bring out the full potential and energy in his stuff, listen to EZ doing a live Todd set if you get the chance. He's really the only man up to the challenge. He used to do it a lot at Twice as Nice and people would be crying and shit.

My all time favorite Todds are the aforementioned Alabama Blues dub, Don't Turn Your Back On Love by Jay Collins Super 20, Accident, Winter Behavior and Fly Away. He also sings the vocals on a lot of his stuff (like Fly Away) and even vocalled a track for Daft Punk called Face to Face which is very Toddy and worth a listen.

mixed_biscuits
14-03-2007, 05:27 PM
He has talked to me about the ultimate spiritual experience for him being working in the studio and feeling like God is there with him.

Not wanting to appear too pretentious, the ease with which T E smoothly joins the ostensibly ill-fitting suggests the aid of a divine hand. As the devotional poet, George Herbert, said of the Almighty's crucial role in the creative process:

When thou dost favor any action,
It runnes, it flies;
All things concurre to give it a perfection.
That which had but two legs before,
When thou dost blesse, hath twelve: one wheel doth rise
To twentie then, or more.

TE = GH - quill + garage :cool:

Ulysses
16-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Sadly I've never heard him dj, but I hold his work in really high regard. I can hear his influence from Akufen to UKG & 2Step. The religious aspect of his tracks doesn't bother me either, puts him in the deep house camp, somewhere near Boo Williams, even Tea Dance house. For me, its about hearing his heavy bouncing basslines and staccato sequencing. Yet another great producer out of Jersey.

viktorvaughn
16-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Slight diversion, but does EZ still regularly DJ in the UK? Never remember seeing much about him.

turtles
16-03-2007, 07:39 PM
For whatever reason, I've been listening to the todd-mixed, 90% todd-content second cd of this (http://www.discogs.com/release/261666) at least once a day for the last week. And let me tell you, it is a joy to listen to.

MATT MAson
16-03-2007, 08:26 PM
That is a great CD.

owengriffiths
21-03-2007, 04:41 PM
originally from this topic: http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=206739#206739

I've uploaded the Locked On Vol 1 Mix here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wikgac the tracklisting is here:
http://www.discogs.com/release/22805

I've also uploaded an old skool mix Oris Jay did for 1XTra. The second hour of the show was mainly early zed bias & el-b, but my SD card was faulty so I only got the first hour, which is mainly well known tunes from 96-98
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hl3ud4

The tracklisting is: Oris Jay on the Basement, 1Xtra, 2004

Scott Garcia- Music Takes You (Buzz Bomb)
Unknown- Unknown
Big Bird- Flav (City Dub Traxx/ Nice ‘n’ Ripe)
Livin Large ft Colonel Abrams- Love is what we need (unknown mix) (probably Nice ‘n’ Ripe)
New Horizons- Find the Path (In your Mind) (Tuff Jam remix) (500 Rekords)
Underground Distortion- Everythin’ is Large (Boom City/Satellite)
4 Deep Connextion- Twisted Future (DFL)
New Horizons- Inspiration (500 rekords)
Colonel Abram- So Confused (The Bootleg) (Great Jones)
New Horizons- It’s My House (bassline mix) (500 Rekords)
Somore ft Damon Trueitt- I Refuse (What You Want) (Industry Standard Mix) (Locked On)
Tuff Jam- Track No Name (Unda-Vybe)
Mike Dunn presents the MD Express- God Made Me Phunky (various labels)
Nu-Birth- Anytime (Locked On)

nomos
21-03-2007, 07:25 PM
thanks owen :D

Guybrush
21-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Looks great. *downloading*

DJL
22-03-2007, 04:27 PM
30min Todd Edwards mix recorded today:

1. Todd Edwards - Can't Live Without U
2. Todd Edwards - Dancing For Heaven
3. Todd Edwards - Never Far From You
4. Songstress - See Line Woman '99 (Todd Edwards Remix)
5. Lonyo - In Ayia Napa (Todd Edwards Perfect Dub)
6. Sound Of One - As I Am (Todd Edwards Mix)
7. Todd Edwards - Push The Love
8. Tuff Jam - Need Good Love (Todd Edwards Main Mix)

Had a couple of requests to re-upload this mix:

gumdrops
22-03-2007, 04:28 PM
thanks for that....

gumdrops
26-04-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/todd-edwards-the-stylus-interview.htm

swears
26-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks DJL

mms
26-04-2007, 12:21 PM
It's amazing that he's remixing the klaxons. i mean that in a 'i'm amazed way' not it's great :)

elgato
26-04-2007, 12:45 PM
have you heard it? as the interview indicates, it feels very different from his usual stuff. i like how bold it is though given the context of the scene which surrounds it and which will recieve it

they should've given him Golden Skans though, i would've loved to hear him go at that

drilla
26-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Had a couple of requests to re-upload this mix:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtU2VwY3lFc0kwTVE9PQ

Could we have it one more time? I am always late for the good stuff.

Grievous Angel
26-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Pretty please!

DJL
26-04-2007, 07:55 PM
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhVWGJKMGtubHcwTVE9PQ

Immryr
26-04-2007, 08:57 PM
you should upload it somewhere that doesnt expire so easily :p

DJL
26-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Permanent link:

drilla
27-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I love him, but I was reading this article (http://www.garagemusic.co.uk/toddedwards.html) and his comment about 2step kind of threw me: "Todd: 'It reminds me a little of Latin freestyle that was over here. I respect it, but it's kind of simple for me.'" They don't follow up on it, which is weird... 2 step simpler than his 4x4? I want to know in what way he meant.

On another note, latin freestyle is beautiful music

Logan Sama
27-04-2007, 11:00 AM
It is amusing cos his only 2 step tune was a blatant rip off of Destiny.

It is actually on the Tales Of The Underground mix CD. Track 1 - Thank You

Grievous Angel
27-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks Rupert.

borderpolice
27-04-2007, 12:56 PM
On another note, latin freestyle is beautiful music

But what is "latin freestyle"?

mms
27-04-2007, 01:30 PM
But what is "latin freestyle"?

this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_music

borderpolice
28-04-2007, 08:17 AM
this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_music

thanks. pretty liberal genre definitions if it includes:

Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler
Samantha Fox - Touch me

MATT MAson
30-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I just found this transcript of an interview I did with Todd in March 2003 for RWD. Thought it might be of interest...

So tell us about the new album?

It's a collection of some of the singles I've put out since the last 'Full On', some of the 'New Trends' tracks and some fresh stuff with different elements coming through. I spend a lot of time on sampling, on average I spend about a week just gathering samples and a week or so building a tune. Even when it's something like a remix I put my all into it and it can be very draining. I know I was blessed with a certain amount of talent. But it's not just me. I'm doing it for God. I believe God is using me as an instrument to spread love, I'm not in control. I don't want to force it down anyone's throat, I try to keep the positivity out there and keep the message there, but it's subliminal. It's only there if you need it.

Was it always a conscious thing to put spiritual messages in your music?

Yeah pretty much from the start. From my mid twenties, when I was 27 I guess, I got bolder with it. I'm proud of who I am and my relationship with God. It's not about preaching to people or making them follow rules, it's about having hope, having a friend and someone to turn to. The messages I put in tunes like 'Shut The Door' are very religious, very personal, but you don't need to hear that to enjoy the tune. I'm trying to put something positive back, there is so much hostility in the world, in the clubs, and what with the war building up...

Talking of clubs you were recently over here for EZ's 4 by 4 event. How was that and what did you think of the scene in the UK?

4 by 4 was brilliant. It was very humbling. I was... beside myself. I knew I had a following in the UK, but being in New Jersey you don't realise... I have friends in Jersey who like dance music but here I'm just Todd! It was very re-affirming. The garage scene in the UK is really interesting. There is definitely a power there, there is so much energy it borders on hostility. I went to a few clubs with EZ, and we saw some fights even break out. There are two types of energy, spiritual energy and hostile energy, I saw a bit of both in the UK but in both cases the DJ interaction was there.

Your music is so inspiring to so many. What music inspires you?

Recently it has been soundtrack music and orchestral music. I love sampling orchestra. Orchestra has chord changes that really change, that doesn't happen so much in dance music. I don't like doing the same thing. I've always said Mark Kitchen (better known as house producer MK) was a big inspiration, a lot of '70s music, disco, pop, everything inspires me. I'm not sure what genre the music I make is, I don't think it's my place to say where I fit in. I don't consider myself a house producer, even R&B and hip hop influence me, I don't know if you could tell but the Beckon Call remix was influenced by stuff Timbaland and the Neptunes are doing.

You get bootlegged a lot. Does that bother you?

It kinda sucks that people are stealing, I work hard, it's not all about the money but it's not really fair. It's also a form of praise though, if someone thinks my stuff is worth the risk of pressing up that's good, when you stop getting bootlegged is when you've got a problem!

A lot of it is down to your stuff not getting an official release. Like the 'Fully Loaded' project and several mixes which have only come out in Japan etc. Why does that happen?

Fully Loaded just got really complicated, what with everyone having their own really tight schedules as individuals; I don't think anything will be happening with that this year. With things like Bonnie Pink and M-Flo, who knows why people do what they do, just because you're a record exec it doesn't necessarily mean you know what the right thing to do is. But what are ya gonna do?

What is your favourite piece of studio kit?

The Akai S6000, it's a quality sampler, it's not without its bugs though... Also the Ensoniq EPS sampler which was the first one I ever used, it's a keyboard sampler with a really good swing feature. I bought it for $1400 and built an entire studio with the money it made me!

What can we expect to see from you in the future?

I want to do some more singing like on Beckon Call 2003 and Face to Face (with Daft Punk). I have a whole bunch of tracks that need vocals, plus I have some very interesting remixes on the horizon. 2002 was a very inspiring year for me, I felt I made some really good tracks and I'm looking forward to DJing more after New years Day. It looks like it will be a really good year.

Mr H
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm doing a bit of research on Todd the God at the moment so thought I'd bump this up a bit.

So it's the key changes and the microsampling, so many different emotions crammed into a bar, but what else, who here that knows about the technicalities of production can tell us?

Terror Danjah from Down Under's question appears to be unanswered and I wonder if there is a tendency to avoid a discussion of what is actually happening rhythmically in dance music criticism even in the work of Simon Reynolds & Kodwo Eshun. Kodwo starts More Brilliant than the Sun with a criticism of those who think that analyzing the groove kills its bodily pleasure but there doesn't appear to be much talk of things like tempo or time signatures.

I'm not familiar with this language myself but I wonder if someone with a better grasp of music theory can explain what it is that makes Todd's 4/4 style so infectious? I'm guessing its got something to do with syncopation and semiquavers...

swears
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
All I'm listening to at the moment, really.

Is it true he's a really devout christian? I guess "Shut the Door" is a bit of a giveaway, lol.

Still haven't heard his "No Scrubs" mix. :(

Logan Sama
09-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Yes he is. Born again.

'No Scrubs' was finally released on i! last year I believe.

He has a new album out on CD now as well

Mr H
09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the No Scrubs (Dub Mix) is on Full On 3 which came out last year:

http://www.irecordings.com/releases/release.html?idRelease=352

Possibly the weakest in the series though. I thought a compilation of his remixes would have been better but its maybe too costly in terms of licensing for I Records to do it...

mistersloane
10-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm not familiar with this language myself but I wonder if someone with a better grasp of music theory can explain what it is that makes Todd's 4/4 style so infectious? I'm guessing its got something to do with syncopation and semiquavers...

There's a good thread on beat science here Mr H, not especially with ref to Todd Edwards but it may help

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6569&highlight=producer

DJ PIMP
10-01-2008, 01:14 AM
i think its more the way the tracks work and the melodic content that make them so catchy. lots of different samples cut up in a lively fashion... regular variation on the loops or sample arrangements creating movements every 8/16 bars. the melodic disco bass lines switching up and down in conjunction with the samples. his basslines are GREAT.

the timing in the drum beats isn't really any different to a lot of house producers, but the use of crunchy, lo-fi samples pitched up or down a bit is distinctive. simple tight punchy sound accentuates the swing.

his stuff is kind of under-produced but it has so much character and is so distinctive that it works really well.

lazybones
10-01-2008, 10:47 PM
owen , could you upload that locked on mix again please?? woudl be very grateful indeed, finding it very hard to get some quality mixes of edwards stuff and i've just got the bug.... !!

love this stuff so much ... big fan of 2 step (old and new) , dubstep , bassline and villalobos , false , 0 etc so this is rather a nice..... to say the least

Chuu
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
owen , could you upload that locked on mix again please?? woudl be very grateful indeed, finding it very hard to get some quality mixes of edwards stuff and i've just got the bug.... !!

I'm not Owen but I re-upped these on DSF and they're still alive, get em while they're hot:

Streaky v Todd Vol1 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/kwq9bb)
Streaky v Todd Vol2 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/i40g6s)
Streaky v Todd Vol3 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vexea)

TRACKLISTING

Streaky's Todd Mix Part 1

Dunno tracklist.

Streaky's Todd Mix Part 2

The Belvoed "1000 Years From Today" (Todd Edwards Dub Mix) - East West Records UK
The Sample Choir "Feelin' Lonely" (Todd Edwards Mix) - Nervous Records
Mantra "Away" (Todd Edwards Mix) - Ultra
Todd Edwards "Rite Now" (The Soul Party Project EP) - Grassroots
Todd Edwards "Saved My Life" (Original Mix) - i!Records
Nicole "Runnin' Away" (Todd Edwards Mix) - Locked On
Todd Edwards "Winter Behaviour" (Original Mix) - i!Records
St Germain "Alabama Blues" (Todd Edwards Dub) - F Communications
Todd Edwards ft Nicole P "FOT" (People Join Hands Version) - i!Records
Utah Saints "Power To The Beats" (Todd Edwards Street Soul Dubified Mix) - Echo
Todd Edwards "Saviour Tonight" - i!Records
Hakan Lidbo "Walk Away" (Todd's Tell Someone Dub) - Loaded
Todd Edwards "Shut The Door" (Open Up Vocal Remix) - i!Records
Nio "Do You Think You're Special" (Todd Edwards "Think So Vocalised Dub") - Echo
Todd Edwards "Walk With Me" - i!Records
Todd Edwards "Hold On To Me" (Main Mix) - i!Records
Bonnie Pink "Sweet" (Edwards Extended Vocal Mix) - Warner Music Japen
Todd Edwards "Moved To Tear" (New Trends Sounds Part 3) - i!Records
Space Cowboy "Crazy Talk" (Todd Edwards Spiritual Dub) - Southern Fried

Streaky's Todd Mix Part 3

The Messenger "End This Hate" - Nervous
Lenny Fontana ft Carole Sylvan "Everything You Do" (Todd Edwards Vocal Dub) - Kult Records
Todd Edwards "Radio Thing" - i! Records
Heavy Weather "Love Can't Turn Around" (Todd's Love Turned Around Mix) - Pukka Records
Todd Edwards "Dancing For Heaven" - i! Records
JTR ft Xavier "Just Gets Better" (Todd Edwards Underground Version) - Multiply
Todd Edwards "Shut The Door" (Original Vocal Version) - i! Records
Moloko "Pure Pleasure Seeker" (Todd Edwards Pleasure For Dub UK Dub) - Echo
Todd Edwards "A Song For You" - i! Records
Todd Edwards "You Came To Me" - i! Records
Utah Saints "Power To The Beats" (Todd Edwards Power Chord Mix) - Echo
Todd Edwards "I Hear Him" (Listen Remix) - i! Records
Todd Edwards "Do You KNow Why?" - i! Records
Todd Edwards "My Family" - i! Records
Boniface "Cheeky" (Todd Edwards 'Time Like No Other' Remix) - Colombia
Richard Les Crees "The Sign" (Sunshine Bros The UK Sign Remix) - i! Records
Paul Johnson "She Got Me On" (Todd Edwards Club Remix) - Promo

SHOUT OUT TO STREAKY FOR THESE, ULTIMATE BADMAN!!!

lazybones
11-01-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks very much!

swears
21-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Two remixes of the last Justice single up on his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/toddedwards.

I always sort of suspected their edit-crazy style was influenced by him, even indirectly.

craner
21-05-2008, 10:53 PM
What's Glory Boy up to these days? I don't like his latter style much; a bit too hysterical and Nutrasweet.

michael
21-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Two remixes of the last Justice single up on his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/toddedwards.

I always sort of suspected their edit-crazy style was influenced by him, even indirectly.

Todd collaborated with Daft Punk, hence Justice must be into him... :p

SIZZLE
22-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Just got on a bit of a Todd binge for a few hours via youtube. Man.... Not much to say about this guy besides that he's really really great. Really intense vibe and emotion in these tracks not to mention the ill ill technical/musical dimension.

For the non-musicians: what he's doing is really hard. Finding, chopping and combining all those disparate samples is not easy at all. A lot of people think that working with samples is easy, which it is if you're taking whole loops from a piece of music and chopping/playing them against each other. Bringing together different pieces of music in different musical keys and tempos is really hard to do well, and boy does he.

Corpsey
22-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I like the one that goes ''I want you day and night''

I don't like the one that goes ''I love JEsus''

Chuu
22-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't like the one that goes ''I love JEsus''

Yet in his crazy love "save your crys" remix the vocal is apparently saying "murder christ"

conflicting messages Todd, what do you want from us!

swears
31-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Pretty nifty remix of new-jack French maximalist Surkin's "Next of Kin":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yncsiPJHjiQ

straight
01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm not Owen but I re-upped these on DSF and they're still alive, get em while they're hot:

Streaky v Todd Vol1 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/kwq9bb)
Streaky v Todd Vol2 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/i40g6s)
Streaky v Todd Vol3 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vexea)

TRACKLISTING

Dunno tracklist.

The Belvoed "1000 Years From Today" (Todd Edwards Dub Mix) - East West Records UK
Nio "Do You Think You're Special" (Todd Edwards "Think So Vocalised Dub") - Echo

Lenny Fontana ft Carole Sylvan "Everything You Do" (Todd Edwards Vocal Dub) - Kult Records
Heavy Weather "Love Can't Turn Around" (Todd's Love Turned Around Mix) - Pukka Records

SHOUT OUT TO STREAKY FOR THESE, ULTIMATE BADMAN!!!

anyone for a re-up?

Chuu
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
anyone for a re-up?

Streaky Vs. Todd Vol1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z1az8o

Streaky Vs. Todd Vol2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5wk2js

Streaky Vs. Todd Vo3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/amfre4

Correct tracklists:

Veda Simpson “Ooh Baby” (Todd Edwards Dub) - Nervous Records
Todd Edwards “Push The Love” (Original) - i!Records
DJ Disciple “When The Music Stops” (Todd Edwards Remix) - Muzik Pushers
Indo “R U Sleeping” (Todd Edwards Mix) - Azuli Records
Todd Edwards “Forgiven” - i!Records
Tuff Jam “Need Good Love” (Todd Edwards Dub) - Locked On
Todd Edwards “Light Of The Sun” - i! Records
Faylene Brown “You Know I Missed You” (Todd Edwards Remix - Azuli Records
Kim English “Tomorrow” (Todd's Dub) - Nervous Records
Todd Edwards “Can't Live Without You” - i!Records
Todd Edwards “Wishing I Were Home” - i!Records
Gintare “Trancenavigation” (Todd's Vocal Of Praise Navigation) - EMI Records
Todd Edwards “Time To Care” - i!Records
St Germain “It's A Sure Thing” (Todd Edwards Deepline Remix) - Blue Note
Todd Edwards “You Are My All (God Only Knows Version)” - i!Records
MJ Cole “Crazy Love” (Todd Edwards Underground Remix) - Talkin' Loud
Todd Edwards “You're The One” (2003 Remix One Version) - i!Records
Todd Edwards “I'm Hopeful” - i!Records
Todd Edwards “Face My Heaven - i!Records
Zoot Woman “Taken It All” (Todd Edwards 'Soul Line' Remix) - Wall Of Sound

mixed_biscuits
02-09-2008, 02:04 PM
*whoops*

mixed_biscuits
02-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Damn - bumping the thread led to more people downloading, thus slowing my file's progress. :mad: :D

mos dan
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
i love these mixes :)

Grievous Angel
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Fuck. I want.

moolac
03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
fuck, i forgot how much i totally love todd edwards. i don't listen to it anymore, things need to change. his stuff was amongst the first house (us garage!?) music i got into. most of my records of his are completely fucked as i used to ruin them by playing through very blunt stanton500's. you can tell his sound a mile away, class.

thanks a lot for the mixes, will need to get checking!

Chuu
03-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Totally forgot about Volumes 4 and 5...

Streaky Vs. Todd Vol 4 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I38SK3Z4

Sample Choir “Love Will Make Things Better” – Nervous
Todd Edwards “Can’t You Believe?” (New Trend Sounds) – i! Records
Gruv’n Disco Affair ft Sharon M Brown “You Don’t Want To Lose It” (Todd Edwards Reconstruction Mix) – i! Records
Da Mob “Fun” (Todd Edwards Cut Up Mix) – INCredible
Sound Of One “As I Am” (Todd Edwards NY Dub) – Cooltempo
Todd Edwards “Every Day” (The Prima EP) – i! Records
Jay Collins Super 20 “Don’t Turn Your Back On Love” (Sunshine Bros Remix) – i! Records
Benjamin Diamond “Little Scare” (Todd Edwards Main Vocalized Remix) – Epic
Craig David “What’s Your Flava?” (Todd’s Underground Flava Vocal Remix 2) – Wildstar Records
Todd Edwards “Not To Worry” (New Trends 2004 pt 2) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Be A Friend” (Original Version) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Like A Fire” (Main Mix) – i! Records
Beyonce “Crazy In Love” (Todd Edwards Remix) – White
Todd Edwards “Show The Way” (The Journey EP) – i! Records
Todd Edwards ft Damon Trueitt “15 Minutes” – i! Records
Todd Edwards “All That Matters” – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Odyssey” – i! Records

Streaky Vs. Todd Vol 5 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G2OLXB31

Veda Simpson “Oohhh Baby” (Todd Edwards Remix) – i! Records
Sample Choir “The Praise (God In His Hand) – Nervous Records
The Messenger “Guide My Soul” – Nervous Records
J.D. Braithwaite “Love Me Tonight” (Todd Edwards NY Dub) – One Records
St Germain “Alabama Blues (Todd Edwards Vocal Mix) – F Communications
Todd Edwards “Scrubless” (Incidental EP) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Never Ever Far” (New Trends Sound EP) – i! Records
The Songstress “See Line Woman” (Todd Edwards Remix) – Locked On
Todd Edwards ft Nicole P “F.O.T.” (Always By My Side Version) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “The Dream” (Isaiah 41:13) – i! Records
Anthill Mob “You Should Have Known” (Todd Edwards ‘You Should UK’ Dub) – Satellite Records
Todd Edwards “Perfect Love” (New Love Remix) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Mystery” (Orignal Vocal Version) – i! Records
Todd Edwards “Heaven” (2005 Instrumental) – i! Records
Urbanomix ft Lauryn Hill “Gonna Be Your No. 1” (Todd & Jam Classic Vocal Mix) – Solo Recordings
Damon Trueitt “Run It By Me” (Todd Edwards Main Version) – i2 Records
Justice “DVNO” (Sunshine Bros Remix) – Ed Banger Records/Because Music
Todd Edwards “Far Away” (Extended Mix) – i! Records

Also, you might be interested in Streaky's Sunship mixes:

Streaky Vs. Sunship Vol 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F71L73LM

The Club Family ft Sybil "When I Fall In Love" (Sunship Vocal Mix) - Manifesto | (2000)
Sunship "Sun Funk" - Filter | (1998)
Robbie Craig "Rescue Me" (Sunship Remix) - Public Demand | (1998)
M-Flo "Prism (Take 2)" - Sunship Vocal) - Labsoul Records | (2001)
Jhelisa "Friendly Pressure" (Into The Sunshine Edit) - Dorado (1998)
Kelle Bryan "I Wanna Know" (Sunship Remix) - unreleased [CDR]
Craig David "Rendevous" (Sunship vs Chunky Remix) - Wildstar Records | (2001)
Sunship ft Anita Kelsey "Heaven" (Smooth Step Mix) - Filter (1998)
Chante Moore "Straight Up" (Sunship Remix Vocal) - MCA Records Inc | (2000)
Morcheeba "Otherwise" (Sunship Remix) - China Records | (2002)
Texas "In Demand" (Sunship Remix) - Mercury (UK) | (2000)
Roachford "From Now On" (Sunship 12" Vocal Mix) - Columbia Records | (2000)
Sunship "Cheque One-Two" (Rockers Dub) - Filter | (2000)
DHL "My Favourite Girl" (Sunship Remix) - Northwest 10 Records | (2001)
Sunship "Try Me Out" (Let Me Lick It) - Filter | (1999)
Sunship "Try Me Out" (4x4 Remix) - unreleased [CDR]
Sunship vs Chunky "Some Kind Of Fool" (Original Mix) - White | (2005)
Sunship vs Chunky "Love On The Rocks" (2 Step Mix) - Stereohype Recordings [2007]

Streaky Vs. Sunship Vol 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XQYFRO7B

Sunship “Ready To Rock” - Filter - [1998]
Sunship “I Request” – Filter - [1998]
M Dubs “Bump ‘n’ Grind” – Telstar – [2000]
Sweet Female Attitude “8 Days A Week” (Sunship Vocal Remix) – Milkk – [2000]
Christina Aguilera “Come On Over Babay (All I Want Is You)” (Sunship Vocal Mix) – BMG – [2000]
Stargate “Wilder” (Sunship Vocal Mix) – Telstar – [2001]
Artful Dodger ft Robbie Craig & Craig David “Woman Trouble” (Sunship Boombastic Vocal Mix) – Public Demand – [2000]
Changing Faces “That Other Woman” (Sunship Remix) – Atlantic Records – [2000]
Basement Jaxx “Jus 1 Kiss” (Sunship Remix) – [2001]
Gabrielle “5 O’Clock” (Sunship Remix) – Go! Beat – [2000]
Lonyo “Garage Girls” (Sunship Remix) – Riverhorse Records) – [2001]
Sweet Female Attitude “DJ Play It” (Sunship Full Vocal Master Mix) – Milkk – [2000]
Craig David “Walking Away” (DJ Chunky Remix) – Wildstar Records – [2000]
Sunship vs MC Ultra “Burning Up” (Original Mix) – C.B.E. – [2006]
Sunship vs Chunky “Some Kind Of Fool” (Original Mix) – C.B.E. [2005]
Sunship ft Cherise “4u 4me" (2 Step Mix) – C.B.E. – [2006]

Streaky Vs. Sunship Vol 3 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZSEYFXX8

Sunship “City Life” (Soul Mix) – Filter [1997]
Sunship ft Robert Owens “Is This Real” – Filter [1998]
E-17 “Each Time” (Sunship Dub) – [1998]
Craig David “7 Days” (Sunship Remix) – Wildstar Records [2000]
Truce “Treat You Right” (Sunship Vocal Remix) Stereohype Recordings – [2007]
The Reelists “Freak Mode” (Sunship Remix) – Go! Beat – [2001]
D*Note “Say What You Mean” (Sunship’s Selecta Dub) – VC Recordings – [1998]
Sunship “Try Me Out” (Chunky Beats) – Filter – [1999]
AKA “Warning” (Vocal Sunship Mix) – Milkk [2000]
Mis-Teeq “One Night Stand” (Sunship Remix) – [2001]
Alsou “Before You Love” (Sunship Vocal Mix) – Universal Records – [2001]
Sunship “Cheque One-Two” (Original Rocker) – Filter – [2000]
Ladies First “Kiss The Sunshine” (Sunship Vocal) – Polydor UK – [20001]
Pretty Boys “Buttas” (Sunship Vocal Mix) – EastWest Records UK – [2000]
Sunship “Love On The Rocks” (4x4 Mix) – Stereohype Recordings [2007]
The Midnight Circus “Complicated” (Sunship Vocal Mix) – [2006]
David Lewis “Hands On Her” (Sunship Mix) – Streetz – [2007]
Jean “Crazy” (Sunship’s Looney Mix) – Stereohype Recordings – [2007]

Let me know if any of these are dead and I'll rup.

It's quite clear that Streaky is an ultimate badman. Give him props: http://www.myspace.com/dj_streaky

straight
03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
its ridiculous how much ive bummed akufen since 2000 or something and never listend to todd until recently. One lives and learns

mnemocyte
13-11-2009, 10:04 AM
No Place Like London (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jclPpdipkBs&feature=player_embedded)

(Hear it out until after the ridiculous Gilbert & Sullivan-esque intro)

Anyone know anything about this one? Release date? Anything?

boo
13-11-2009, 10:05 PM
gosh.

run_time
17-11-2009, 09:22 AM
new Todd Edwards mix

http://soundcloud.com/raspberryjones/todd-edwards-treehouse-mix

Brockolio
18-11-2009, 08:25 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0zngnrpOgSo/Svdyod52uJI/AAAAAAAAABQ/uqPgOWYXulQ/s1600/Treehouse%2B007%2Bflyer.jpg

will definitely be hitting up Todd tomorrow night. thanks for upping that mix.

used to live on DeGraw st. back in the day. solid booking!!! free taboot.

nyc could use more garage parties.

zhao
18-11-2009, 08:37 AM
^^ todd edwards is from New Jersey??

Brockolio
18-11-2009, 09:09 AM
yup.

home of the 0-11 New Jersey Nets.

michael
01-12-2009, 05:59 AM
A couple of free MP3s of recent remixes over here...

http://rcrdlbl.com/2009/11/30/download_two_todd_edwards_remixes_flashing_lights_ contest

Weirdest is that he's remixed Boris, as in the super-hip Japanese psych / metal types. Least weird is that it just sounds like any other Todd Edwards track. :D

zhao
01-12-2009, 06:20 AM
thanks michael.

jackmaster
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but we just booked Todd the God for Numbers @ Fabric.

Friday 8th January - FABRICLIVE

ROOM ONE: NUMBERS

Todd Edwards
Hudson Mohawke (LIVE)
Rustie (LIVE)
Jackmaster
Deadboy
Spencer
Nelson
Goodhand
+ MORE

Plus Numbers VJ Retina Glitch.

ROOM TWO:

Headhunter
dBridge
Instra:mental
Joy Orbison
Jack Sparrow
Sigha

ROOM THREE: 'ELEVATOR MUSIC' ALBUM LAUNCH

Untold
Shortstuff
Hot City
xxxy
Mosca
Vista

SPECIAL OFFER:

Order the 'Elevator Music' CD from the fabric website for just £10, and get FREE ENTRY to the launch party at FABRICLIVE on 8 January.

More info can be found here: http://www.fabriclondon.com/label/misc/Elevator_Music

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189988103666

Richard Carnage
01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Silly line-up, Jack. Maybe even worth popping to London for.

benjybars
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
yeah that is an incredible line-up.

tom lea
14-12-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/images/stories/easygallery/thumbs/21/factmix109-todd-edwards.jpg (http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4161&Itemid=98)

Richard Carnage
05-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but we just booked Todd the God for Numbers @ Fabric.

Friday 8th January - FABRICLIVE

ROOM ONE: NUMBERS

Todd Edwards
Hudson Mohawke (LIVE)
Rustie (LIVE)
Jackmaster
Deadboy
Spencer
Nelson
Goodhand
+ MORE

Plus Numbers VJ Retina Glitch.

ROOM TWO:

Headhunter
dBridge
Instra:mental
Joy Orbison
Jack Sparrow
Sigha

ROOM THREE: 'ELEVATOR MUSIC' ALBUM LAUNCH

Untold
Shortstuff
Hot City
xxxy
Mosca
Vista

SPECIAL OFFER:

Order the 'Elevator Music' CD from the fabric website for just £10, and get FREE ENTRY to the launch party at FABRICLIVE on 8 January.

More info can be found here: http://www.fabriclondon.com/label/misc/Elevator_Music

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=189988103666

Anyone else reaching this?

Benny B
05-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes! My first clubbing-trip to London. I'm hoping there'll be a warm reception for Todd. That Elevator music cd looks pretty good too.

mrfaucet
05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
It's an insane line-up, so yes.

Corpsey
05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Wish I could reach Fabric really :(

Still, get to see Todd in Bristol on Saturday at a much smaller club. :)

continuum
07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/images/stories/easygallery/thumbs/21/factmix109-todd-edwards.jpg (http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4161&Itemid=98)

love the two female vocal tunes one after the other on this from 24:00 onwards

mrfaucet
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Any word on set times?

Benny B
09-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Todd smacked it. He looked so happy! Fabric's a bloody nightmare though, not sure I'd go there again. They let far far too many people in.

mrfaucet
09-01-2010, 10:11 PM
That and 90% of them seem to be moving about constantly. Still, I enjoyed myself although I missed Todd cos I saw Shortstuff and Untold instead who were amazing nonetheless.

Benny B
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
That and 90% of them seem to be moving about constantly. Still, I enjoyed myself although I missed Todd cos I saw Shortstuff and Untold instead who were amazing nonetheless.

Such happy , blissful vibes for Todd, definitely the highlight for me.

Generally though it was better earlier on before it started to get rammed, loads of garage and funky getting played which was so nice to hear through that sound system. Mosca was also very good, that small room seemed to have the best sound.

Hud Mo just didn't work for me, too stop-starty and the main room was so rammed at that point that you literally couldn't move, let alone dance. And I only endured about 5 minutes of Untold before I called it a night.

Honestly, if they let a few less people in in that club it would have been amazing but unfortunately all Fabric seems to be centred around is cramming as many people in as possible and rinsing them for all they're worth.

mrfaucet
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
I didn't realise Mosca was on early so got there too late. Yeah it was just too busy for Hud Mo - it basically turned into a mosh pit when he first came on, which isn't what I really go to a club for. I just room 3 to be not painfully busy so just stayed there although it did mean I missed some sets I wanted to see.

cobretti
10-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Hud Mo just didn't work for me, too stop-starty

Same problem I had with his set in Glasgow a few months back, too track-based for my tastes without enough attention paid to programming for a nightclub audience. I reckon his live shows will come in to their own in a few years if he pursues the production for artists and song thing (as in tracks with verses, chorus etc as opposed to just beat tracks), and has more releases under his belt to flesh out the show rather than just doing a run through of Butter or whatever. I reckon his stuff could work well with a band, not sure how it would work though, would have to use an electronic drum machine and sample bank to make the percussion work...

Benny B
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Biggest tune of the night was this, it got pulled up and Todd started throwing out little neon crosses into the audience

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SACZ28wlmzs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SACZ28wlmzs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Was very pleased to find this pitched up version on youtube, as its meant to sound!

Benny B
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, I picked up that new 'Old Skool must haves' bootleg 12" while I was in London and there's a Todd track on there. Anyone know what it is? (Or indeed the names of the other tracks on there. I think one's an Anthill Mob track)

Edit: Tracked the Todd one down. Its this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yxj-nifkkVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yxj-nifkkVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

paolo
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Same problem I had with his set in Glasgow a few months back, too track-based for my tastes without enough attention paid to programming for a nightclub audience. I reckon his live shows will come in to their own in a few years if he pursues the production for artists and song thing (as in tracks with verses, chorus etc as opposed to just beat tracks), and has more releases under his belt to flesh out the show rather than just doing a run through of Butter or whatever. I reckon his stuff could work well with a band, not sure how it would work though, would have to use an electronic drum machine and sample bank to make the percussion work...

Wasn't at the Butter album launch, but I saw him play with Fly Lo and Rustie last year, he basically played tunes off Polyfolk Dance and a few others and it was absolutely superb. A live band wqould certainly be interesting...

mms
10-01-2010, 02:28 PM

yeah when i've seen him play it's been a mess of slowish hip hopish instrumentals and fucking awful idm splatter fests and there is nothing to grab hold of, found the same with the album, ruined a perfectly good ep there, which is a shame as he's clearly quite talented and he's done some crackers, but when simon reynolds says this :

Special Award for Chronic Gluttage/Clottage

Hudson Mohawke, Butter

he's spot on when it comes to a good half of the album, could be a warp thing, they favour the 'fucked up' over the stuff you can dance to and enjoy on a physical level sometimes.

owengriffiths
10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Also, I picked up that new 'Old Skool must haves' bootleg 12" while I was in London and there's a Todd track on there. Anyone know what it is? (Or indeed the names of the other tracks on there. I think one's an Anthill Mob track

Any clips on the internet, I might be able to id some? I havent went record shopping in London for over a year, am I right in saying
a) Uptown no longer exists
b) Black Market no longer does garage
c) Rythmn Division is the only place for grime mixtapes

mms
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Any clips on the internet, I might be able to id some? I havent went record shopping in London for over a year, am I right in saying

uptown is now inside wylde pitch records
http://www.wyldpytch.com/

yeah it does funky garage house dubstep etc...

think uptown have a few.

Ory
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=MH3

Benny B
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Cheers, I found the tracklist in the end on Rhythm Division
:http://rhythmdivision.co.uk/Old-Skool-EP-Go-Edition/prod_1394.html

Didn't find any garage in Black Market, mainly house and dubstep (lovely staff in there though). Great area for record shopping around there, picked up some nice stuff.

Also found three Zed Bias whites for £2 each and none of them appear to be on discogs. One labelled 'Eric Benet', another labelled 'Associates No 2 - Way you make me feel EP' and one called 'Don't walk away', all of them excellent. Anyone know more about them? This should be on the Great 2step thread really...

The eric benet one appears to have the full vocals he used on 'Been here before' incidentally.

owengriffiths
10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Has Uptown moved back to D'arblay street, can't find a proper address on the net or is it purely mail order now?

UFO over easy
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
uptowns on lexington (avenue, road, street?) now i think, the road off broadwick street. just down from the john snow pub.

nomos
10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
via elgato. clearly aimed at anthem status but probably also a pretty sincere acknowledgment the city that treats him like a god.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jclPpdipkBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jclPpdipkBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

cobretti
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Wasn't at the Butter album launch, but I saw him play with Fly Lo and Rustie last year, he basically played tunes off Polyfolk Dance and a few others and it was absolutely superb. A live band wqould certainly be interesting...

That wasn't a live show per se, as far as I know at that gig he was still playing records mixed with a little bit of FlyLo style Ableton tinkering.

Benny B
10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
My favorite Todd tune I think. That key-change gets me every time

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOeROAwv6zM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOeROAwv6zM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mms
10-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Has Uptown moved back to D'arblay street, can't find a proper address on the net or is it purely mail order now?

uptown is now inside wylde pitch records address on the website
http://www.wyldpytch.com/

cobretti
10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOvEv-pvldg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MOvEv-pvldg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

This is my favourite, that rolling bass sound and the catchy chopped 'ooh' samples :cool:

craner
30-01-2010, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jmvJzuVz0

Ory
30-01-2010, 06:07 PM
anyone know if/when "no place like london" is getting released?

padraig (u.s.)
23-03-2010, 02:46 PM
the original is a pretty solid tune but this is just something else. my tune of the year so far.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H7Qm_nqggkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H7Qm_nqggkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

michael
07-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Free download of Joy Orbison remixing Todd Edwards. Was going to put this in one of the rolling threads, but don't know where fits.

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2010/04/i-might-be-joy-orbison-remix

outraygeous
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
anyone know if/when "no place like london" is getting released?

never, just for him and EZ

UFO over easy
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
its coming out - http://twitter.com/toddedwards3000/status/11442602572

benjybars
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

:)

continuum
26-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Logan's done a Todd Edwards mix > http://keepinitgrimy.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunshine-sunrise.html

drilla
26-05-2010, 05:28 PM
am i mad, i don't see it in his filefront under the name he said it would be

continuum
26-05-2010, 06:02 PM
i never said you could download it just that he'd done one

BareBones
09-06-2010, 01:44 PM

anyone got any more news or updates on this no place like london release? hope he's still planning on putting it out...

Sick Boy
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
He's playing in Toronto tonight in a small club at $5 admission.

I have spent the entire day scoffing at the lines of teenagers camped out in tents around our music television station so that they might get a free wristband admitting them into the music video awards where Justin Bieber, Drake and Miley Cyrus will be performing.

Now I am eating my words as I realize I am so excited I am on the verge of wetting myself. My name is Shaun and I too am a Todd Edwards fanatic.

Benny B
12-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Have fun Sickboy! I saw Todd play at Fabric a few months ago and he was brilliant, one of the happiest guys alive behind the decks, chucking out little neon crucifixes into the crowd and everything. Hearing that packed dancefloor singing along with 'As I am' really set the goosebumps going. I was really taken aback and touched by how well that London crowd knew all his tracks, such a nice vibe.

outraygeous
14-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Have fun Sickboy! I saw Todd play at Fabric a few months ago and he was brilliant, one of the happiest guys alive behind the decks, chucking out little neon crucifixes into the crowd and everything. Hearing that packed dancefloor singing along with 'As I am' really set the goosebumps going. I was really taken aback and touched by how well that London crowd knew all his tracks, such a nice vibe.

sings *dance, makes you dance on pants... dance that makes you dance on pants for reallll*

owengriffiths
14-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I almost forgot about this D&B remix of Todd that came out a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ih8Jo1W8JY

continuum
19-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Logan's done a Todd Edwards mix > http://keepinitgrimy.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunshine-sunrise.html

the link to download this is now available. i'm listening at the moment, its good

Corpsey
19-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Saw Todd DJing in Bristol earlier this year, was bloody great. As someone said above, such a happy guy and such happy tunes.

Sectionfive
23-06-2010, 04:44 PM
toddedwards3000 Every Tuesday I will be posting a new free download on Soundcloud until all the out of print remixes are posted

http://soundcloud.com/todd-edwards

Benny B
23-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Shit, thats probably the best mp3 giveaway Ive ever seen!

The Logan mix is great too btw

benw
23-06-2010, 10:09 PM

wow! never heard the beyonce or robin s mixes, and been wanting a proper mp3 of tlc for ages.

Sick Boy
24-06-2010, 04:37 PM
You know what? I was a little disappointed by the gig I went to, though I suspect this is because of the trend in British DJ's to "tailor" their sets to North American audiences. All the tunes of his own that he played were great, and I was thankful to hear them over a nice system delivered by the man himself, but anything else he drew for was paint-by-numbers electro house. Between the audience's unfamiliarity with his work and their total lack of enthusiasm for his electro selections (as well as his desperate shifting of gears between the two as he apparently tried to gauge the lesser evil), he cleared the floor out pretty quickly. I stayed for the whole thing, mind you.

Ory
24-06-2010, 05:38 PM
but he's not british

Sick Boy
24-06-2010, 06:19 PM
but he's not british

Oh yeah, duh. :rolleyes: Slipped my mind for a second there as I tried to conflate him with a lot of similar sets I've seen from British DJ's this year. What could be the cause of this then? Perhaps he is just out of touch.

Sectionfive
24-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Didn't cop the US date when I saw this. Thought it was an old one. :slanted:

http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2010/06/todd-edwards

01 Todd Edwards "Fabric" (NU Trend)
02 Illusive "Make It Up 2 U (GM Remix)" (2tuf4u)
03 Todd Edwards "The Praise" (Nervous)
04 Uffie/Pharrell Williams/Armand Van Helden "Add SUV" (Ed Banger)
05 DJ Dan "Chop Shop (Hot Mouth's Rubber Remix)" (Nettwerk)
06 Phoenix "If I Ever Feel Better (Todd Edwards Vocal Mix)" (Virgin)
07 Utah Saints "Power to the Beats (Todd Edwards Power Chord Mix)" (Echo)
08 Bjork "Desired Constellation (Todd Edwards Remix)"
09 James 'Eighth Note' May "Just Bump"
10 Ellie Goulding "Starry Eyed (Darren Campbell's Vocal Mix)"
11 Alex Zelenka "Specials (Clique Talk Remix)"
12 Sentinels "Love Rhythm"
13 Aaren San "Apes From Space (Dirtyloud Remix)" (Aelaektropopp)
14 Dmitriy Bamboviy "Sweet Jack Out" (Starblocks)
15 Lizzie Curious/Lazy Rich/Hirshee "Blast Off" (BugEyed)
16 That1Guy "Mustashes (My Dear Disco Remix)"
17 Todd Edwards "I Might Be (My Dear Disco Remix)" (Scion A/V)

Sectionfive
05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Live on Rinse now, ridiculous grin across my face for the last hour.

bandshell
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
The set on Rinse last night was sick.

His tunes are very samey but if I'm in the right mood, there's nothing better.

Sectionfive
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/ToddEdwards051110.mp3

Mr H
15-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Also, I picked up that new 'Old Skool must haves' bootleg 12" while I was in London and there's a Todd track on there. Anyone know what it is? (Or indeed the names of the other tracks on there. I think one's an Anthill Mob track)

It might be one of Todd's remixes of Anthill Mob's 'You Should Have Known':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lis_7mMH1Zk

Definitely one of my favourite Todd tracks.

I posted on this thread a few years ago when I was doing a bit of writing about Todd's microsampling techniques. An article has ended up in a book and there's a shorter version online: http://www.culturessonores.org/2011/sampling-spirituality-the-sound-of-todd-edwards-and-uk-garage/

He was supposed to be playing in Glasgow on Easter Sunday but according to his Twitter page it looks like he was recovering from a neck injury and might not have made it over to the UK.

Benny B
15-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Nah, that tune on the 'must haves' 12 turned out to be the Todd mix of Bonny Pink's 'Sweet' in the end. I'll check out that link you posted though.