Sa-Ra "Second Time Around"

Woebot

Double 12" business. The most attractive piece of vinyl I've come across in ages.

The title track is one of the best things I've heard in ages. The term "fat " is overused, but this literally wobbles right out the speakers with alarming physicality. The most truly solid piece of music I think I've heard since Zapp's "More Bounce to the Ounce". The tunings are all warped and smeared and I reckon it can lay claim to making a nonsense of the distinction between HipHop and R'n"B by merits of the overpowering individuality and strngth of the sonix.

i was a fan of their earlier birds tune which was on a devo/prince new-wave funk tip via nona hendryx's "skin diver" and the francois k remix of ashford and simpson's "babies" - but this one is totally unique.

gumdrops

check out death of a star, downtown, hollywood, bitch, double dutch, sa-ra space theme (if you havent already).... i reckon those are their best tracks.

spotrusha

this is a great double pack. the instr. sounds great with with that 50 "outta control" acapella over it. that's how i'm playin it out.

Woebot

gumdrops said:
check out death of a star, downtown, hollywood, bitch, double dutch, sa-ra space theme (if you havent already).... i reckon those are their best tracks.

thanks gumdrops. theres one high-profile one, may be the sa-ra theme, which i heard and didnt rate....

gumdrops

butterscotch (kinda kraftwerky) is another good one... i dont know the titles to a lot of their stuff cos its only on cd-r but i think thats the name. if youre not familiar with the producer jay-dee/jay-dilla, he's where sa-ra ahem, borrow quite a lot of their drum programming ideas from (particularly on their more downtempo tracks)

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
butterscotch (kinda kraftwerky) is another good one... i dont know the titles to a lot of their stuff cos its only on cd-r but i think thats the name. if youre not familiar with the producer jay-dee/jay-dilla, he's where sa-ra ahem, borrow quite a lot of their drum programming ideas from (particularly on their more downtempo tracks)

he is the best - fat sub bass tracks with abstract shape throwing samples - it's a detroit thing i'm sure you can hear it running thru theo parrish too
j ay dees playing in jazz cafe soon too

some one gave me a cd of something like 28 instrumentals i can listen to it all day

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
never heard of Sa-Ra until now, but there's a free legal download of
"Second Time Around" at download.com -
http://music.download.com/sa_ra/3600-8544_32-100808056.html

--

It is great, hints of the late Billy MacKenzie/The Associates as well
- the echo, the way the second vocalist comes in just after "the second time around"
(or is it the same one? in which case it makes it even more Associates-like).
Sa-Ra might never have heard of Billy though.

Last edited:

dubplatestyle

"glorious" is their best tune, i think. one of the best things i've heard this year at any rate. like the more minimal moments on the d'angelo albums crossed with the better n.e.r.d. stuff. (there's something about it that reminds me, weirdly, of ar kane too.)

i like a lot of the stuff in this orbit; a lot of it skirts stuff i would say i was suspicious of if asked in public. (but maybe more of my mother's influence is cropping up in my listening habits as i get older.) it does slightly trouble me however that the best collection of it as a whole that i've come across is a dj language mix put together as a promotional tool for nike. so much for that neo-soul purity.

i was initially put off by how "undeveloped" a lot of their work (and their contemporaries work) felt as tunes/songs. i still don't think they really work that way (that's weed as part of the creative process for you), but i've gotten over it by realizing that this is, essentially, trip-hop (finally?) made by african-americans. (don't run away, matt.) it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of them being signed to kanye's vanity label. i can't really see them burning up the us rnb charts.

Last edited:

gumdrops

spacek might not be american but as far as a post-trip-hop combo operating in modern R&B/soul, they definitely fit the mould. theyre another group who sa-ra really make me think of.

dHarry

"Second Time Around" dl'ed - I'm hearing El-P's Cannibal Oxtrumentals with a Bootsy Collins/Prince vocal and maybe a hint of Herbert, as well as the afore-mentioned Billy McKensie/AR Kane, though I'm not hearing the trip hop at all... deliriously ramshackle, barely hanging together, deliciously in/out of time.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
SOme nice grooves going on here. Nice call who ever did it first? Reminds me a bit of that WordSound stuff from a few years back, but better. And love the name, is it a typo on SunRa? Do you pronounce it 'sah-rah', sarrah, or 'Say Ray'?

Is this sound 'crunk'? Is Edan 'crunk'?

Woebot

Buick6 said:
SOme nice grooves going on here. Nice call who ever did it first? Reminds me a bit of that WordSound stuff from a few years back, but better. And love the name, is it a typo on SunRa? Do you pronounce it 'sah-rah', sarrah, or 'Say Ray'?

Is this sound 'crunk'? Is Edan 'crunk'?

it's sah-rah (as far as i can fathom)

this isnt crunk:

sa-ra: nearest approximation psychedelic new soul
edan: back-pack "undie"
lil jon++++++: crunk

mms

sometimes
you heard koushik be with on stones throw ?
you might like it. its kind of sixities ish psychedelia mixed up with hip hop, sounds better than that description.i i've got this sa-ra on order right now,looking forward to it, i enjoyed their mixes of dwight tribble.

jay dilla's got a new one out soon, he's very very ill with kidney problems and has a poor life expectancy, i think he needs a replacement kidney. this is very sad.