apollo heights

stelfox

Beast of Burden
saw them a while ago in nyc. i'd say the ar kane comparison is a bit off, though. they're not that good.
i love the fact that two of the members are twins called danny and daniel.

dominic

Beast of Burden
doesn't help that new material is produced by robin guthrie -- makes them sound too derivative

but i like them live, their stage presence, style, vibe

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I haven't heard them/of them, but it would be nice to have another AR Kane...perhaps they will succeed where others (The Veldt, Dr. Phibes & the House of Wax Equations) have failed...

dominic

Beast of Burden
errr, they're a successor band of the veldt = danny and daniel chavis

other members are honeychild coleman (rhythm guitar), hayato nakao (bass), and a fifth person

stelfox is right to say that they're not at the level of ar kane -- not as rhythmically or melodically inventive

even so, i can't think of too many current bands that i like more

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
on the AR Kane tip, whither Alex?

I liked Rudi's Sufi project (up until Lovers And Trippers), and heard some thing Alex did with some Mexican guy called Fax (it was on one of those Wire magazine CDs) that was promising...other than Kevin Dobson, there's no other musician I'd rather see come out of the woodwork...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
which is my 20...I'll put out an APB on these guys...

is it safe to say the noisepop revival is taking root?...(laptoppers nothwithstanding)...seems like every week brings either another comp of various early 90's shoegazers, or a retrospective of some Creation band or another...I know this topic is frequently bantered about, but I can't think of too many new bands that are clearly inspired by that era (other than the perennial crop of MBV copyists)...

dominic

Beast of Burden
there's actually an organization called Loveless Music Group -- they promote acts in the MBV tradition, if you can believe this

www.lovelessmusicgroup.com

there next event is . . . .

November, 9 2005 at To Here Knows When@Scenic
25 Avenue B (between 2nd and 3rd), New York, NY 10001
Cost: FREE!

• 8pm - Sparks Fly From a Kiss - Sparks Fly From A Kiss present direct, elemental rhythms with angular and haunting melodies• • 9pm - Apollo Heights• - Apollo Heights is loud, exploring color, space, sensuality, and beat driven melodies with rhythmic and dynamic tension. Daniel’s falsetto vocals cast a contrast upon the wall of sound created by Danny’s heavy rock dreamscape guitar and Hayato’s pounding and licentious beats. Fans of Bloc Party, My Bloody Valnetine and The Secret Machines, take note. Apollo Heights have appeared on stage with Oasis, The Pixies, The Cocteau Twins, The Manic Street Preachers, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and most recently completed a U.S. tour with TV on the Radio. In 2005 they will release the ep “Amoeba”, produced by Robin Guthrie of The Cocteau Twins. • 10pm - Rob Montejo• • 11pm - Proton Proton - "You could put these guys in the same camp as fellow NYC'ers, Death From Above 1979 or, thanks to their excellent rhythm section, Interpol. But, Proton Proton are in a totally different tent. In fact, the rough and raw sound of the former mixed with the sophisticated structure of the latter is a decent summation of their sound. Now picture such a band being led by Peter Wagner of Choking Ahogo. "What?", you say. Good, download a track." - Bang Up Job•