Romanian Music

Woebot

Dissesnsoid Photographer domtyler has been working on a project called "Foaie Verde".

He sent me a promotional pdf which has this little spiel attached to it:

"Foaie Verde is an unique fusion of photography and music. Award-winning photojournalist Dominick Tyler, violinist Joe Townsend and Romanian folk singer Dana Cordorean-Berciu join forces with the musicians of Opera North to create an extraordinary musical and visual journey across Romania. In the Spring of 2005, Tyler and Townsend visited Romania. In the company of musicians, shepherds and schoolchildren they travelled by road, rail and on foot, deep into the heart of the country. As they went they recorded what they heard and saw, creating a compelling document of a time, a place and a people. Foaie Verde fuses Townsend’s arrangements, compositions and sound design with projections of Tyler’s breathtaking photographs to evoke their journey. This is a timely portrait of a country on the edge of Europe and on the cusp of change. Romania is due to join the EU in 2006 and yet the dense forests of this complex country still hide secrets and treasures."

If you live in Nottingham, Leeds or Salford Quays (or anywhere oop North) you should go and check out the show, more details of which are here:

http://www.operanorth.co.uk/ontperformanceinfo.aspx?productionid=25

I think it looks like it'd be really nice and I was completely blown away by the photos Dom sent me. He has a knack for getting right in there and a genius for taking glowing pictures (as his incredible shots of the Modern Eskimo settlements taken last year attested). Dom's said I could put some of the Romanian photos up here. I was really struck by the way they resembled my minds eye vision of the Deep South of the fifties. Powerful stuff.

Last edited:
C

captain easychord

A couple of months ago I DJ'ed at at Romanian wedding. The bride's father was, hm..., intimidating to say the least (he had been a democratic agitator back in the 80's) and very particular about his tunes. He have me a bunch of CD's to play stuff off to accompany all the Michael Jackson and ABBA. I'd never heard music like this before, the most manic doubletime folk music, all done with crappy MIDI, and huge reverberating vocals. The resultant dancing was astonishing, I swear up and down I've only seen moving like that at d&b parties, old women getting all red in the face from two-stepping. Crazy shit. Just my Romanian music anecdote.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i hate to keep making nublu-related plugs . . . .

however, bato's electric gypsy boogie is worth checking -- dark and delirious psychedelic guitar playing -- with a gypsy backing band

domtyler

Teasmaid
Cor..

Thanks for the plug. Hope some of you can make it along to the gigs. Southerners may be glad to hear that there's plans afoot to bring the show to London next year.