Ce'Cile and gyal dancehall

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well, is this lady making some of the most amazing music anywhere right now (in tandem of course with the leagues of on-fire Jamaican riddim-makers) or what? Just found this track 'Me No Want Dat' (on the 'Bad Man Ting' riddim, apparently), and it is just staggering - the chorus is bizarrely Bananarama-goes-dancehall, Ce'Cile weighs in with a few gorgeous vocal licks, and the piano breakdown is fucking beautiful. Next level shit, f'real.

I now tend to keep up with the dancehall scene by getting hold of as many of her versions as possible. Maybe it's personal preference, but her sexy and oh-so-pop counterpoint to the baritone gruffness of most male MCs is so refreshing. To mention just a few, she does amazing things on Chrome, Violin, Cure, First Class and Safe Sex, not to mention Coolie Dance.

Really, by all rights, Ce'Cile should be a HUGE pop star.

Hadean

10 below
the sexiest voice

"Wine & Dine" is my fave on Spanish Fly (and in my Top 5 of the year?)

"man hav fi wine & dine me
tek out checkbook and sign me
im haf fi gi-we-wah-we-want
or im nah get di nnany"

her voice is so irresistible on the track
that a lot of men probably reacting "I say I won't go low, but for CeCile I just don't know..."

Hadean

10 below
Macka Diamond (ex-Mackeral), of course

makes men quake in their boots (haha image!)
cos they won't measure up to her quite basic standards

"Pum Pum Finger", on Kasablanca, is a riot - sounds like The Slits or something

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I've interviewed Ce'Cile a couple of times and she's a great person as well as a superb artist

(If anyone's interested http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/story.jsp?story=563944 and http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1120799,00.html - the last one from The Guardian was given a real wack edit, repeated words and shit everywhere, but it was a good piece before it got fucked about with. You'll just have to trust me on that and I'm surprised they ran it at all, anyway.)

My favourite tunes by her this year are "When We Are Seen" on the Military rhythm and "The Thing" with Beenie Man on the Dancehall Rock...

Hmmm, I'm a bit iffy about Macka Diamond. She's okay but has less balls than Lady Saw and none of Ce'Cile or Tanya Stephens' smarts. Tanya's definitely the wittiest, most creative female lyricist right now and I'm loving "Female Pimping" and "Gangster Ride", on the Katana and Indian Summer rhythms. Although she has a long way to go i kinda like Ms Thing, too. Her album was way too early and didn't stand up, but she's wicked on the Tighty Tighty and "Modelling" is a pretty fab track. For pop/dancehall crossover, you really can't beat Nina Sky. She absolutely rules Black Chiney's Kopa rhythm.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Must reiterate - Ce'cile's 'Love U Got' on Kokane is coming across as the 'Southern Hospitality' of dancehall - or is this one of those records I go crazy over that no-one else gets?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
baboon2004 said:
Must reiterate - Ce'cile's 'Love U Got' on Kokane is coming across as the 'Southern Hospitality' of dancehall - or is this one of those records I go crazy over that no-one else gets?

it's good, but just a bit old now. people might welll have been going similarly nuts about it a couple of years ago.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeh, I kinda ignored dancehall for a few years back there, so missed out on hundreds and hundreds of riddims, until the time Diwali blew up. Are there any similar dancehall-goes-techno riddims I should know about?

MolexRoots

switch!
New female vocalist Tami is going to be big. Check Stepz and Highty Tighty for a couple great pieces. Macka is slowly creepy up my leaderboard of favourite deejays. The chune on Wine Your Waistline (see my site if ya want a taster) with Capleton is superb. Capleton's bits seem a little off key, dodgy recording it seems?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Update please!

I've over-listened to my 2002-5 Ce'cile collection (actually, that's not possible), and am seeking some more female sass over hypnotic riddims...

john eden

male pale and stale
Avoid Tanya Stephens' "Rebelution" is all I can say.

Queen Ifrica is worth checking tho, but more rootical less bashy.

zhao

there are no accidents
on a UK nostalgia tip, anyone feel some of those old school steppa sounds femcee's like Aisha, Christine Miller, Sister Audrey, Donette Forte, Mada Nile, Sister Rasheda, Audrey Hall, Dayjah and the Disciples, Debaura Star, Deborah Glasgow, Empress Ayeola, Sistah Joyce, Jennifer Lara, Malika Madremana, Sis Nya, Jennifer Romeo, Sis Sanae... ?