Test -icicles ... Love/hate?

killuridols

Change the game
Whats the general opinion the test - icicles? There seems to be a blatant love/hate devide. After seeing them live at LSE last week, I can honestly say there are one of the most important bands out at the mo. They've got a lot of energy!

Check the test - icicles review @ www.styleslut.blogspot.com

Noah Baby Food

We (Yes Boss) supported 'em in Leeds the other week. They're bang into grime and have been working with some big names...which is a good look, coz this may encourage some of the trendy yoofs to listen to some other stuff. They are nice lads and kinda remind me of DFA 1979, with maybe some early Beastie Boys chucked in, maybe.

it was a strange gig. rammed with fashionistas (Leeds is fashionista as hell). we played (we are kinda grimey sounding), then Killa Kela did his stuff with a live band ( no hip-hop heads in there but they went down well), then Test Icicles. 'twas a good 'un though

killuridols

Change the game
You can def tell they are beastie fans, there is also a track on the album with a heavy grime influence. 'CATCH IT!' starts off as some hyper fast metal, then slows down to a wicked grime/rock dub. Their stage performance is crazy, their lunatics!The album is essential though.

S

simon silverdollar

i can't really deal with them- but i think i'm just getting
old...

boomnoise

♫
really rate the sam e dangerr remix of lethal bizzle's fire.

but i have to say they are failing to inspire me despite being very reminiscent of my former band.

shudder

killuridols said:
You can def tell they are beastie fans, there is also a track on the album with a heavy grime influence. 'CATCH IT!' starts off as some hyper fast metal, then slows down to a wicked grime/rock dub. Their stage performance is crazy, their lunatics!The album is essential though.

"catch it" is pretty awesome and FREAKED OUT.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Their remix of Lethal B's single was mind boggingly bad.

It sounded like a chubby dread/Platinum 45 production from 2001 that had been thrown away.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Can't say I'm really that into it, apart from the grime-style drumming at the end of "Catch" - which, btw, is producer James Ford (of Simian/Simina Mobile Disco) on the drums.

boomnoise

♫
Logan Sama said:
Their remix of Lethal B's single was mind boggingly bad.

It sounded like a chubby dread/Platinum 45 production from 2001 that had been thrown away.

haha. i'm just sucker for that overloaded kick sound. for me it was an improvement on the original.

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
Not heard them on record yet, but they are pretty amazing live, super energy, and stupid hair cuts too.. but i can imagine that would be very anoying if the crowd looked as 'fashionable' as well..

alo

They certainly LOOK the part, and are tearing up the style mags/ sunday supplements with gusto. Accordingly, and according to popular legend, their gigs are now hipster central. ie: a lot of money spent on hair.
On a similar hype related tip, did anyone see that east london special in i-D a couple of months ago? It featured young. inter-related hipster groups (largely bog-standard: paddingtons etc) and ran to roughly seven thousand pages of blurry rock and roll pictures. Smugness/press coverage based on limited talent but close approximation to the London based style media - abounds! :cool:

killuridols

Change the game
I did catch that iD feature, very nice to look at, shame about the bands(test – icicles not included)! The abstract haircuts and tight jeans of the so – called ‘scene-sters’ are all part of the London rock scene and definitely adds to the whole mystique of the music. Like it or not image is important, but hopefully the next cycle of ‘hot’ new bands will concentrate on the music more.. .

shudder

it's always funny when people are resentful of UK annoying hipster trendy bands... since so often, they have no exposure or hype on this side of the atlantic.. so the only place I hear/read about them is from disgruntled brits hating on them! obviously, this doesn't apply as much to franz fizzle/bloc party/maximo park, etc., but i'm quite sure that test icicles are not gonna exactly explode state side...