pure fire grime in nyc

petergunn

plywood violin
no guests this week, tho i am finally starting to get the hang of mixing grime instrumentals with crunk acapellas...

Broklyn Beats and Axis Chemicals presents:

Pure Fire

grime/crunk/reggaeton/breakcore/dancehall/jungle/etc

Every Weds at Subtonic
107 Norfolk
LES
9 til late
FREE

w/ DJ's

Criterion
Peter Gunn
Reaganomics

petergunn

plywood violin
it's getting there... the challenge as dj's, as is discussed in a similar thread in the Music section is how to combine all the genre's in a way that's unique, funky, and an expression of your own personality, not on some ethnomusicologist tip... and it's starting to happen... now, we just need people to come down!

tate

Brown Sugar
hmm i sent a friend of mine to this a couple of weeks ago but he complained that it was all US hip-hop, said that the advert about grime et al seemed like a gimmick to get people in the door. (that's just fyi.) with any luck you'll turn it into a big night with the diversity you're striving for. best of luck with it

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
Tate said:
hmm i sent a friend of mine to this a couple of weeks ago but he complained that it was all US hip-hop, said that the advert about grime et al seemed like a gimmick to get people in the door. (that's just fyi.) with any luck you'll turn it into a big night with the diversity you're striving for. best of luck with it

hmmm, good to know, i would say that in a bar in nyc, grime is an anti-gimmick (i.e if we wanted to do a night of just US hip hop, we could get way more money in a mainstream club!)
i def. play almost all grime during my sets, (last week i did mostly "classic" grime, 2003 style, with a set of stuff like Ice Rink remix, Shanghai, Tinman, Eskimo (devil's mix), Sky Dive, Pied Piper (tinchy strider version is pretty fucking rad), Bounce, etc)... crito and reaganomics play more of the crunk/reggaeton/breakcore/dancehall stuff... like i said, we are getting better at integrating all of it into a coherent hole, so i hope your friend stops by again... thanks for the feedback...

tate

Brown Sugar
petergunn said:
hmmm, good to know, i would say that in a bar in nyc, grime is an anti-gimmick (i.e if we wanted to do a night of just US hip hop, we could get way more money in a mainstream club!)
i def. play almost all grime during my sets, (last week i did mostly "classic" grime, 2003 style, with a set of stuff like Ice Rink remix, Shanghai, Tinman, Eskimo (devil's mix), Sky Dive, Pied Piper (tinchy strider version is pretty fucking rad), Bounce, etc)... crito and reaganomics play more of the crunk/reggaeton/breakcore/dancehall stuff... like i said, we are getting better at integrating all of it into a coherent hole, so i hope your friend stops by again... thanks for the feedback...

yeah the friend i sent to yr night was a producer/DJ, so his notion of 'gimmick' was a little bit different :) But it's great that you are doing this. how was the turnout this week?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
petergunn said:
it's getting there... the challenge as dj's, as is discussed in a similar thread in the Music section is how to combine all the genre's in a way that's unique, funky, and an expression of your own personality, not on some ethnomusicologist tip... and it's starting to happen... now, we just need people to come down!

ive been trying to do something like that for a while. i think the main why i keep from sounding just like some pretentious music snob is by relying on my instincts. i know that my next musical selection is based on 1) the track before it 2) my reaction to the crowd 3) some sort of mystical force that pops up ideas in my head ( :p ) and 3) my own tiny attention span-after about 3 or 4 tracks, im already bored with a genre.

ive done it poorly in the past. losing my audience b/c they didnt get into a groove. but my goal is to do a whole set focused on the wickedest basslines out there.

if youve got any suggestions for how to mix up genres of bpms, that wouldbe appreciated (beyond the double-time trick of hip-hip/jungle).

petergunn

plywood violin
besides the old 70 bpm/ 140 bpm (alias: crunk/grime ) trick, everything else is on a track by track basis... i.e. one track ends with acapella, throw an inst. underneathe... i just spun on the radio tonight and put these practices in action... hopefully i will have an mp3 to post soon!