Right/Left Red/Blue Forward / Back

polystyle

C'mon guys
What a load of silly name calling , baiting, teachers from on- high instructions and wishful stinking on here lately .
What is this tone of 'right wing ' is this , 'liberals' are that , 'read this' , 'anarchy' and
general stance that seems to come down to 'my way or no way' ?
Come off it , you don't talk like that to people in real life do you ?

Reading here recently it feels like some do think that here in the US we are all only Blue or Red by now .
Have our party affiliations tatooed on , and must be all the 'same' (and of course must be stupid for not agreeing with you ) .
Day to day we may support pieces of what both (*hit) parties are foisting on us ,
but it's mostly about survival ...
I say this as a musicmaker and producer who doesn't mind filesharing as the
major and indie record labels I've dealt with over the course of 20 years have almost all done more to rip me off then filesharers have.

Now, to push back a bit / bite of fun :
File sharing AND anarchy ? Oh no , not anarchy (again)
The very wurd reminds me there used to be this guy down in the E Village ,
hizzoner Peter Missing and had the Missing Foundation in his heyday ,
stating 'the parties over' because yuppies were moving in and same time he got beat up and thrown out of his Ave. C squat house by a bigger crustie and so a broken bitter lad he was .
Loved to wrap himself as an Anarchist.
Sometime we could overhear his yak and gassing , not even good for a laugh the second time.
Thought to myself he couldn't have dealt with anarchy if it came up and bit 'em in the ass .

Ditto for those who seem to 'think' that Mao T shirts or Che G is a cool emblem -
those ol' icons would have mercy killed these cats in a minute.

That stuff is possibly attractive from a distance and when you rd it in books ,
but I've never heard an enjoyable memory from a survivor of either .
These days 'ol Peter can be seen skrulling up and down Ave. A every day , daubing 'paintings' to sell
(to yuppies ?) for his crack and jam . 'Anarchy' ? yeah right 'we mean it man'

Would I love to see the Governments of the world torn down - and would lend an active hand ?
surely it needs to be done , yes.
Are the talkers the ones who would be up on the front lines ? have seen no evidence of that -
but they might make good sonic cannon fodder .

Maoists ? seen /zine any lately ? Did meet some on the trail in Nepal a few years ago,
one scared boy with a big manly man and others behind him in the shadow on the thatched hut from which he sprang .
Wanted me to pay for walking on that Khumbu mountain trail . Wasn't HIS trail , mind you .
I was sorry then the boy's choices had been made so thin by the kings corrupt politi$ system that he either joined himself or more likely was uh, pressed into Maoist service .
But it was freezing , a snowstorm coming and we had to move on .
Now that boy is probably still pressed (can't get out once you are in apparently) and big enough to carry that machine gun the Maoists use on village teachers (teachers being prime targets of these) .

We are in the trenches here ...
In Tue's elections here we got the 'Intelligent Design' folks all getting tossed out the School Board in Penn.,
but winning over in Kansas.
Bush sputtering ( we don't just hate him 'cuz he's a Repuglican , we have counted the ways so many times, here , elsewhere and in daily life / he is not us ),
Cheney smug somewhere off the TV screen lately thanks to the BS puddle he made and is sitting in (still suparich tho' Mr. Halliburton Golden Parachute retirement plan intact),
Arnie lost his propositions out in LA ,
but aha Bloomborg won here in Gotham - ok no problem , while being on paper a Repug still made a better choice then Ferrer .

We all know it's the politiCorps who continue to win in all of this , quarterly business as usual .
Have the factions fight and name call , above it all they extrude it out and rake it in.
We hate this *hit .
It's possible that you would too if you lived here .
So yeah, we hear you out there barking and foaming
Turn it into something productive
Work and think together and take that stand ?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
polystyle desu said:
C'mon guys...Reading here recently it feels like some do think that here in the US we are all only Blue or Red by now .

nail on head- discussions here have desended into fox news style nonsense, with lots of abuse and next to no evidence or coherent thought (although mainly from a couple of individuals) :(

D

droid

polystyle desu said:
C'mon guys
What a load of silly name calling , baiting, teachers from on- high instructions and wishful stinking on here lately .
What is this tone of 'right wing ' is this , 'liberals' are that , 'read this' , 'anarchy' and
general stance that seems to come down to 'my way or no way' ?
Come off it , you don't talk like that to people in real life do you ?

Heh - ive probably been a bit guilty of this myself in the past :eek: - but yeah - Ive been thinking along similar lines for a while now.

False assumptions of positions and combatative labelling is totally unconstructive. What exactly is the point of having a discussion if all youre interested in doing is 'winning' it? Proper debate should involve at least some level of engagement with your opponent.

Personally - I think its a good (if sometimes frustrating) thing when your views are challenged with a decent argument - thats how you learn and develop new ideas. Plus - the idea that anyone can be inherently and purely (and thus should be judged as) 'liberal' or 'right-wing' is nonsense - people change and adopt new positions every day.

Its your knowledge, framing, rationalisation, sourcing and discussion of your points that you should be judged on - not your assummed (or even declared) political affiliations.

polystyle

Keepin it chill

Yes, arguing can be a wonderful thing.
Being dictated to or presumed guilty first is a pain and a time drain.
I like it here on Dissensus ...
We only got one planet and the politCorps got us where they want us -
bickering tit for tat amongst ourselves (on this Board and others through the webverse).
Let's head it somewhere interesting >

Guybrush

Dittohead
The Videos from the New Yorker Conference are up. All of the three that I have watched so far have been very interesting—especially the one where a rambunctious Barry Diller discusses the web in 2012 with Arianna Huffington and Craig Newmark. But one in particular caught my interest, to wit the one where social and cultural psychologist Jonathan Haidt discusses morality, and in particular why liberals seem to have a problem in convincingly arguing for their version of it. I kept nodding my head throughout.

Morality: 2012