Goldie Looking Chain v the whole of UKHH (minus R. Manuva)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is it me or do GLC have more to say than 95% of all of UK hip hop? ;)

all those on-point references to r&b girls, shitty early 90s radio records like Enya etc, far more relevant than this post-Premo 'keeping the old school alive' parody stuff.

killuridols

Change the game
Blackdown said:

all those on-point references to r&b girls, shitty early 90s radio records like Enya etc, far more relevant than this post-Premo 'keeping the old school alive' parody stuff.

Is this a joke?! Do u listen to hip - hop? GLC are a shitty comedy act that was funny for about a week. They have nothing credible or of any substance to say. Try listenin to Skinnyman or Klashnekoff( and countelss underground acts) and educate yourself to social - politically aware artists rather than unfunny imbecils.

Last edited:

DJL

i'm joking
GLC are alright. Depite being tagged as novelty they still have more concious lyrics then most other acts imo. 'Soapbar' is one of my favourites.

Last edited:

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
sov (the mona lisa of grime) may be a great lyricist one day, but she's only 19!

having said that roxanne shante was slaying new york's finest on wax aged 13...

outraygeous

qwerty south said:
sov (the mona lisa of grime) may be a great lyricist one day, but she's only 19!

having said that roxanne shante was slaying new york's finest on wax aged 13...

well hopefully sov will get some books for xmas this year

blissblogger

Blackdown said:

i've only heard the first GLC album, and just the once, but i thought it was great

and barely monitor uk hip hop

but instinct tells me you're onto something, martin

what do people think of Hot Chip? not that it's rap as such but it's of this vague area -- brits respond to R&B/hip hop/bling but bring some authentic English bathos'n'pathos plus local colour to it

in a weird way (cf Skinner) i think it's all of the tradition of Stiff Records -- ian dury (esp with the funk'n'disco meets bacon rind of the second album Do It Yourself)

pub rap c.f pub rock

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
blissblogger said:
pub rap c.f pub rock

Following on from that I'm wondering if there are parallels between UK Hip Hop and Trad Jazz - a romance with a specific and time-locked style of Black American Music in opposition to less *real* usurpers and later variations of the same? But then would Northern Soul maybe fit into this sort of lineage?

Not particularly sold on GLC myself, they aren't *that* funny...

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
LRJP! said:
Following on from that I'm wondering if there are parallels between UK Hip Hop and Trad Jazz - a romance with a specific and time-locked style of Black American Music in opposition to less *real* usurpers and later variations of the same? But then would Northern Soul maybe fit into this sort of lineage?

If I thought that UKHH actually sounded like a specific time in USHH, maybe you'd have a point.

But UKHH has always seemed to me to have a fairly distinct sound and there is plenty of interesting production going on, even if you do take out the scene's shining light in Roots Manuva. The dancehall element, which has only really been a 'flavour' element in the US is omnipresent in UKHH. It's really quite a different thing.

gumdrops

i think GLC are brilliant and very funny but theyre hardly a serious contendor for best UKHH act. if you want a quaintly british take on hip hop, the mitchell brothers, despite the boring production and OTT cockney accents, probably do the job

im not sure people will ever accept british rappers doing straightforward hip hop unless its tongue in cheek a la GLC or someone (and say what you want about grime being 'the real uk answer to hip-hop, i dont see people running out in their droves to embrace that either)

the UKHH bashing on these boards really gets tiring to be honest - im not saying UKHH is perfect, its not, i get frequently tired of its misteps myself, but do any of you guys actually listen to it at all? london posse's debut is singlehandedly better as an album than all but two albums released by any grime MC

and even roll deep praise klashnekoff and skinnyman for their london-centric lyrics - both those two, fallacy, roots manuva and guys like that - they dont sound like american rappers in the slightest and roots' production for one doesnt aspire to sounding american at all - unless people simply dont want anything vaguely resembling the pattern of a pre-timbaland/neptunes hip-hop beat

brit-rappers like klash and skinny might stick to the slightly traditional boom-bap template but i can name various ruff sqwad tunes that are basically the heatmakers' beats redux but no one seems to bat an eyelid about that (a lot of people also seem to like thuggish ruggish feat d double but thats just a hip hop beat, ditto half of kano's album)

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's the tyranny of the boombap which kills UKHH, though, isn't it? The lyrics might be good, if you sit down and analyse them, but to do that you have to put up with beats so predictable they might as well not be there. Plus, the delivery of UKHH artists sounds so uniform- regular, flowing rhymes, inexpressive macho delivery, it's like listening to a school teacher giving a lecture on safe-sex (which Black Twang's G.hetto C.hildren S.ex E.ducation more or less is).

As regards subject matter, for me there's NO FEEL of the streets at all in UKHH. It has the feel of the studio, of tightly crafted rhymes, of trying to make it sound convincingly generic enough to get radio play next to US hip hop. It sounds so insular. As for sexuality in UKHH, forget it! It's much too concerned with peer prestige to woo the ladies. An exception is Klass A's pretty wicked Ching Ching, but then again that's on Dizzee's label.

Compare to GLC, who despite being a total mess, are chaotic enough so that their references to binge drinking and fit girls can at least take you by surprise, create a mental picture for you of them sitting in a room chatting a girl up in between hits off the bong.

I dunno, Martin is onto something here for me. I don't want to hate on UKHH, some of it is quite good, but there does seem a undeniable general trend towards mediocrity/conformity.

Hot Chip are a strange one. I know them, vaguely, and don't particularly like their RnB type stuff, the lyrics sound so silly. But I'd totally defend their right to get stoopid talking about driving their mum's car around Surrey. But something in it doesn't work for me. Strangely, their first EP release was a masterful bit of Will Oldham esque alt:country, it's wonderful.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Hot Chip are a strange one. I know them, vaguely, and don't particularly like their RnB type stuff, the lyrics sound so silly. But I'd totally defend their right to get stoopid talking about driving their mum's car around Surrey. But something in it doesn't work for me. Strangely, their first EP release was a masterful bit of Will Oldham esque alt:country, it's wonderful.

some of em worked for me till they go signed to emi - they're smart music bods and they don't try and be anything they're not.

Fiddy

Logan Sama said:
Yes, and Lady Sovereign tracks contain more social commentary than the rest of the grime scene.....

:confused:

You're obsessed with her, did she reject your advances back in the day when you'd never had hits

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Well, I say know, I've met them several times through my mates who put out their first record. They're totally lovely chaps, with a palpable enthusiasm for music.

More power to their arm, I say. Just don't let them hog the mic, that's all.

tryptych

waiting for a time
PeteUM said:
That's funny. I know Hot Chip too.

Weird. I know Hot Chip too. Well I know the brother of one of them. And the people who put out their record, and their lawyer.

It's like six degrees of separation in the UK indy music biz.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Decent analogies aren't used in the grime journalistic field. Don't baffle the girl with your fancy words. :D

Last edited: