Jay Dee/Jay Dilla

Woebot

What stuff is worth checking out?

Currently:

D'Angelo: Voodoo
Common: Like Water for Chocolate

seem to stand out.

Just a few recommendations- the best stuff- would be helpful.
ie The Jaylib thing looks crap....

Thx

hint

party record with a siren
Q Tip - Amplified LP (pretty ahead of its time production-wise)

Jay Dee - Fuck The Police

Steve Spacek - Dollar

Slum Village - I Don't Know

luka

yeah the fuck the police 12 is really good.
i'm not a fan though, otherwise really.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
don't sleep on the champion sound

I don't know about u guys but I really dig the jaylib album... seriously... u should give it a couple spins before you write it off woebot, it's not some quick-cash dangerdoom collabo. There's a new jay dilla dropping on stonesthrow soon or maybe already called "donuts" or something I'm keen to hear.

Speaking of Stones Throw... anyone else feelin OH-NO's production? Madlib's little brother and one of my favourite hip hop producers lately, plus his "disrupt" album was straight up dopeness... great rhymes, great beats & no bullshit posturing.

Last edited:

gumdrops

he didnt really do anything on the voodoo album as far as i remember - the essential stuff he's produced is:

slum village - fantastic vol 2 (try and find the vol 1 bootleg too though)
j88 - ep
a tribe called quest - the love movement (he co produced virtually all of it)
a tribe called quest - beats rhymes and life
j dilla - welcome to detroit

also worth finding -
common - like water for chocolate
common - electric circus

theres various productions like de la soul - stakes is high that are great but the quintessential 'dilla' sound is basically fantastic vol 2

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I reckon the Jaylib album is great too. I was never that big a Madlib fan, so was pleasantly surprised by how this turned out. Tracks like 'The Red' are just huge.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Sad

This is a sad day for hip hop. When we learn the news yesterday, we spent a whole hour trying to confirm if he had indeed passed or not...that made finding out EVEN WORSE. Rest In Eternal Peace, J Dilla. One.

joeschmo

So how exactly did he die? I haven't heard anything more than "liver complications."

Anyway, new one Donuts is pretty sweet. It's more about cutting up lots of old soul samples than heavy beats (the heaviest of which, to third others, can be found on Jaylib)

Octopus?

joeschmo said:
So how exactly did he die? I haven't heard anything more than "liver complications."

Anyway, new one Donuts is pretty sweet. It's more about cutting up lots of old soul samples than heavy beats (the heaviest of which, to third others, can be found on Jaylib)

"Donuts" is fantastic, sounds like everything the last Quasimoto album should have been. This is incredibly sad news, though.

BareBones

wheezy
shit, is that how jaylib started then? never knew that either.

dilla is such an amazing dude, you can imagine how aggy other producers would get about something like that. Donuts is one of my favourite things ever.

optimum

Poochie
I read somewhere that Dilla did some ghost production/playing on 'Voodoo', sounds that way...His remix of 'Me and those dreaming eyes' is sick.

STN

sou'wester
I think I heard that on Voodoo he was continually in the studio and would make ideas for beats, which would then be replayed.