help find trancey disco

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I went to see DFA/Juan Maclean live yesterday and they had DJ Shit Robot open for them. I couldn't find his email anywhere so I am asking here. At one point he started playing these records that had these smooth Moroder-type basslines that would just go on and on with a disco kick-snare beat. It was really trancey and disco at the same time like some italo tracks from around 1980. I don't think there were any vocals. I am pretty sure these are new tracks. Does anyone know where to find this stuff?

mms

sometimes
DigitalDjigit said:
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about. Any more stuff like this? Labels, compilations, online mixes?

try the lindstrom lp on eskimo and box jams #1 on clone for that sorta thing :)

kingofcars

you probably know about alot of this stuff already, but:

a lot of the stuff from the creme/viewlexx/bunker/clone camp is in that vein, esp. alden tyrell and bangkok impact.

i definitely second/third/whatev the recommendation for basically everything lindstrom and prins thomas have done.
also check out luke vibert's lp on rephlex as kerrier district.
some of justus kohnck's stuff on kompakt is pretty much 'disco-trance'....
some of betty botox's re-edits... (the kraut ep is disco-fied edits of can and neu - pretty trancey)
maybe some stuff on rong music, some stuff on environ...maybe some of chicken lips stuff...

and a few recommendations for older stuff:
check out magnifique - 'magnifique' (THE ultimate disco trance song - avoid the jersey devil cover version on environ)
anything by ganymede, laser, space, tantra/azoto, patrick cowley...

mms

sometimes
try black devil disco club and also the automan series of dodgy bootlegs as well for italo and electronic disco stuff .

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Hehe...nice to see all these recommendations but these really cover a very broad spectrum when I am looking for a very particular sound.

Like Alden Tyrell for example is great but his stuff has all these big melodies while this was just a smooth simple synth bassline (not a buzzing sound but a very "rounded" synth sound) and some very subtle bits on top. He played like 3 or 4 tracks like that. Surely it's more than just Lindstrom that makes this kind of stuff.

I won't rest until I track down at least one of these tracks.

mms

sometimes
have you heard unit 4 body dub, the pigna stuff, putch 79 and bancock impact - all those guys are great
also the lindstrom remix of violent group on outer gaze is ace.

run_time

could be some of the stuff off Kelley Polar's new album on Environ. Not trancey in the 'big room' sense and a rather different take on disco to the Dutch

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
mms said:
have you heard unit 4 body dub, the pigna stuff, putch 79 and bancock impact - all those guys are great
also the lindstrom remix of violent group on outer gaze is ace.

Yeah, it's good stuff but not what I am talking about here. Ok, I am gonna try to recreate something approaching what I am talking about and put up a sound clip.

mms

sometimes
run_time said:
could be some of the stuff off Kelley Polar's new album on Environ. Not trancey in the 'big room' sense and a rather different take on disco to the Dutch

that record has really grown on me - i liked their singles but this is a much more pop affair - it's lovely except i spilt cough medicine on the cd

dHarry

mms said:
it's lovely except i spilt cough medicine on the cd

Does it work like yoghurt, which allegedly fractalises the sound when a thin film dries on a CD? Haven't tried this, yet...

mms

sometimes
dHarry said:
Does it work like yoghurt, which allegedly fractalises the sound when a thin film dries on a CD? Haven't tried this, yet...

nah it just wastes everything and makes it smell of malty liqourice

matte

you could try stuff on Bear Funk - Idjut Boys, Brennan Green

DJ Spun and Greg Wilson always plays shit like this as well.

not sure if anyone's mentioned the I-F mixes....Mixed up in the Hague. classic stuff.

O

Omaar

was just listening to Gino Soccio's 'there's a woman' today from 1979 - it s abit odd, some disco, italo, beatles, and bits that sound like something by the orb, and lots of trancey synths .. not really what you're looking for, but interesting in terms of this continuum anyway .. not his best work imho, but pretty interesting ...

had a listen to that kelley polar album after someone mentioned it on this thread ... there are some amazing tracks on it i reckon. some of it didn't sound great on a first listen, but 'Cosmological Constancy' and 'black hole', i think, really blew my mind. an earlier track by him, astrid & julia (live) or something is real good too.

ta for the 'i feel space' recommendation too, whoever that was.

and that shirley lites track on the box jams comp is amazing!