worst musical experience?

zhao

there are no accidents
wasn't a bad experience at all but... this girl requested the Dubstep Allstars vol. 1 once. I was like "huh? wow... ok... I can deal with that" and she wanted it turned up LOUD. I usually like quiet, slow building music to freak to, but this was good too.

Last edited:
I prefer fucking in silence - I like to hear all the cool bodily noises :p

I once had a wank whilst playing Throbbing Gristle's 2nd Annual Report at full volume. But that was actually quite enjoyable. Can't think of any particulay bad musical experiences. Maybe the forth gig by my band many years ago. Jesus we were fucking awful!

yeah me too gutta :p

I was in a shitty band once. We sucked so hard i used to turn my keyboard down and pretend i was playing cos I sequenced most of my parts anyway...

...made me realize i didn't belong on stage

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I've never been in a band, but it's always an awful experience seeing a friend's shitty band and having to lie through your teeth afterwards ("yeah dude, it was, uh, really great.")

C

captain easychord

Pearsall said:
I've never been in a band, but it's always an awful experience seeing a friend's shitty band and having to lie through your teeth afterwards ("yeah dude, it was, uh, really great.")

that's the number one shitty musical experience across the board

mms

sometimes
i djed in some place in paris with some others which clearly hadn't told anyone we were coming it wasn't even on the door or anything.
it was half full, the place was full of rude no dancing paris people and management turned the music off whilst i was b2b with a mate djing and we were warming the place up - so we got sent upstairs to their bar where the equipment was crap and you couldn't hear it etc -and they refused to apologise or even give us any drinks.
Some locals invited us to a party including some rather lovely ladies and we didn't go cos we oddly felt obliged to finish up there, when we should have stuck two up and had some fun..
made up for it the next week in lyon when i was actually forced to stop djing due to six police in riot gear turning up at the venue !!

secretagentgel

music related, i just recently had a girl at a party get in my face about music. treading lightly cos i never know if people even know what electronic music is, it came up that i produce electronic music and she asks me, "like paul oakenfold?" i said, "no, he's too mainstream for me..." and she steps to me like she's going to hit me, going, "that's fucking stupid that you wouldn't like something just cos it's mainstream!" and uses the little finger gesture to put "mainstream" in quotes. she would not back down - not even defending oakenfold, just getting really mad that i would dismiss anything based on commercial success. i asked, "what if i just said i didn't like his music?" and she spits out, "BULLSHIT!"

i'm laughing nervously, looking around trying to find an out, but no one else was paying attention and i couldn't get out of it. so i just stop talking. after a while she does too and is just standing there glaring at me. finally she storms off.

put me off of oakenfold forever. :)

Leo

putting a plant on top of a crate of somewhat-rare 80s post-punk 12-inch singles and realizing months later that the plant pot leaked. the vinyl was in ok shape but a dozen picture sleeves were water logged. didn't even want to think about the drop in value as a result of one stupid move.

Charagmatic

Mong Tribe
Seeing a friend's shitty band and having to lie through your teeth afterwards is pretty bad.

On the other hand, I ended up at someone's house late one night and they put a tape on. I was quite possibly drunk and made some amusing comments about what dismal rubbish we were listening to and how it sounded like the world's lamest Sonic Youth tribute act. My friend started kicking me until I got the message. This is Nick's band. We're in Nick's house, remember? And that's Nick over there.

In spite of my devastating critique of their utter uselessness, they had some minor success after that and I always cringed when I saw their name in the music papers.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Fucken THE DICTATORS were terrible, beyond camp pedestrain shitty rock and Ross the Boss didn't even turn up. I threw an empty plastic beer glass at them, and got ejected by a big bouncer..

The DANDY WARHOLS were worse. Too stoned, playing their songs at half-speed made them even worse. I yelled at them 'lazy american cunts' but didn't get ejected.

NERD they had some fucken Chrisitan Rock Ben Folds5 dhiarrea who was their backing band. Possibly the WORST hiphop ever, except for Ozzie hiphop!

blunt

shot by both sides
Tricky playing live in 1997 - I've never seen anyone so skull-fuckingly stoned, and he went on to play the most meandering set imaginable. At one point, he says to the audience - "Did you actually pay to see this?" Maybe he was riffing off that old Pistols line - "Ever feel like you've been had?" But I think not.

Things looked up when he fucked off the stage for the last half hour of the set and left Martina Topley-Bird to it. She is sublime on so many different levels :)

Other than that: pretty much any time The Go! Team come on the studio's stereo. Makes me want to go postal.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
the fridge club in brixton, london at a 'psychedelic trance' night, with a hangover starting to kick in...

hell on earth.

the tyranny of the 4/4 beat...

tom pr

Buick6 said:
Fucken THE DICTATORS were terrible, beyond camp pedestrain shitty rock and Ross the Boss didn't even turn up. I threw an empty plastic beer glass at them, and got ejected by a big bouncer..
He was probably just jealous that he wasn't as cool as you. that'll be the ticket.

bassnation

the abyss
Pearsall said:
me? having to fuck to Ani di Franco. ewww.

yours?

listening to ceephax acid crews' screeching trebly idm at ear splitting volume with a migraine at bangface the other week has to be up there as one of the worst experiences for me.

i've been suffering from tinnitus recently, too many nights in very loud environments - just an occupational hazard with djing. but what i really resent is having my ears further damaged because a dj or artist can't keep away from the mid and treble.

mms

sometimes
Buick6 said:

The DANDY WARHOLS were worse. Too stoned, playing their songs at half-speed made them even worse. I yelled at them 'lazy american cunts' but didn't get ejected.

NERD they had some fucken Chrisitan Rock Ben Folds5 dhiarrea who was their backing band. Possibly the WORST hiphop ever, except for Ozzie hiphop!

i saw that handsome dick manitoba from the dictators sing with the mc5's and he was not handsome but he was a dick - it was rubbish.

Lichen

Bonnie Tyler, Reading '88.

Hairy provincial rockers formed human pyramids the better to hurl piss-filled cider bottles at the stage.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
not a terrible musical experience, per se, but an odd one: I was djing at a club once and a girl came up and asked me if I could play stuff that was 'less bassy'...wtf?