Lethal B & the Test - icicles start Camden riot!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's not LOL, at all actually. Dissensus' music section is for music writing, and "it was an amazing/crazy event to bring the genres/fans together" doesn't really fall into that category, you're just advertising your blog writing.

In fact, in your blog you say "all true grime heads know that ‘Fire’ is a pile of pants". I don't know this tune, and I'm a true grime head. I'm not convinced you know what your talking about to be honest, Killyridols, there's very little discussion of Lethal's music on your blog and a whole lot of PR speak.

If you've got something to say about the event, say it here, and leave the link to your blog as your signature. That's what I reckon anyway.

gumdrops

Diggedy Derek said:
In fact, in your blog you say "all true grime heads know that ‘Fire’ is a pile of pants". I don't know this tune, and I'm a true grime head. I'm not convinced you know what your talking about to be honest, Killyridols, there's very little discussion of Lethal's music on your blog and a whole lot of PR speak.

to be fair, lethal's 'fire' is that track that samples the spinners' its a shame that monie love used in the early 90s... and it IS a pile of pants!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ah, apologies. I haven't heard that! Whoops.

Nevertheless, let's not regress into NME speak, people. We can have better discussions than just posting hype about our blogs.

gabriel

The Heatwave
no need to be so high & mighty about this - the opening post included the following leaders into discussion and no one has picked up on them at all, despite this being quite an interesting event (rock/grime together)

- Did anyone attend the barfly show?
- It was an amazing/crazy event to bring the genres/fans together
- Mostly indie kids in attendance, but they were still rowdy!

Diggedy Derek said:
We can have better discussions than just posting hype about our blogs.

true, but we can also have better discussions than ticking off people for posting links to their blogs when they start a thread which has the potential to become an interesting discussion

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Okay, fair points. I'm suspicious that killyridols is just on a hype thing, and so far, he hasn't seemed to suggest otherwise.

Anyway. Let the discussion begin. I'm actually always incredibly surprised/pleased to hear rock referenced in grime. It's not unknown for grime MCs to send things out to "the rock crew" (after they've bigged up everyone else). Perhaps this is a mark of grime/hip hop or other lyric-based music feeling it's not a black CNN types "underground" so much as a set of mainstream musical alternatives, but whatever, it's nice.

3underscore

to be fair, check ur idols has had a bit of posting a very short leader and "check this at" link to his blog.

I don't really care about the promotion of blog / non promotion of blog thing. My problem is it is leaders about things that could be interesting, and could be easily summarised in the post without giving the link for the information.

Oh, and my firewall here blocks pretty much all blogs.

Yours posting out of self-interest only, 3underscore.

gabriel

The Heatwave
gabriel said:
but we can also have better discussions than ticking off people for posting links to their blogs when they start a thread which has the potential to become an interesting discussion

maybe we can also have more interesting discussions than those about what kind of interesting discussions we might have. argh!

actually i think maybe this last bit is untrue, i'm finding the meta-discussion more interesting than thinking about the signifcance of lethal b playing at the barfly... lol

and yes, 3_, summaries with links (if people want to click) are better than just a link

gumdrops

at this stage, i think it would be more surprising/interesting to hear rock bands actually incorporate a bit of grime into their music than vice versa. rock needs some new inspiration and i thought that statik remix of bloc party was the best thing BP have done.

3underscore

gumdrops said:
i thought that statik remix of bloc party was the best thing BP have done.

argh!!! I am afraid that this sort of thing is one of my bugbears! Yeah, the remix by statik was better than anything else Bloc Party have done. I can deal with that. But the whole ownership of a remix as their piece of work, rather than being seen as the work of the remixer? I have a real problem with that, as Bloc Party really didn't have any recourse to comment, design or anything of the remix. Maybe this is for another thread!

gumdrops

i did think of rewording it when i typed that - maybe i should have said 'its the best thing bloc party have allowed someone more interesting to do to their otherwise incredibly shite work'

3underscore

gumdrops said:
i did think of rewording it when i typed that - maybe i should have said 'its the best thing bloc party have allowed someone more interesting to do to their otherwise incredibly shite work'

s'alright gumdrops. It is something everyone falls for once! Just I am in a rotten mood, and that could be exactly how I will vent it!

tryptych

waiting for a time
Talking of this sort of thing, have you heard the Shy Child remix of the Futureheads "Decent days and nights"? Its kinda dancehall-y. Pretty good.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
As generic and middle of the road as "Fire" was, it was infinitely better than the frankly dreadful attempt at remixing it the Test-Icicles made.