Made-up languages in music

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I updated my list of acts singing in made-up languages last night after reading the Enya sometimes sings in "Loxian".

It's not that I recommend any of these, I just find it interesting (do they make dictionaries and stuff? Do their kids learn it?)

In fact I have never heard Circle from Finland, but apparently they are Magma-inspired and still going strong. Magma probably didn't want to give away the secrets of Kobaian, so the guys in Circle thought "fuck it, let's roll our own language" (not that most of the planet understand Finnish anyway).

So my little list now counts six - anyone caring to add to the list?
Band (first release, country) - name of "language" if known
  • Magma (1970, France) — sings in Kobaian
  • Cocteau Twins (1982, UK)
  • Ruins (1986, Japan)
  • Enya (1987, Ireland) — sings in Loxian
  • Circle (1991, Finland) — sings in Meronian
  • Sigur Rós (1994, Iceland) — sings in Hopelandish

Last edited:

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
On The Big Bubble, The Residents made some songs in Mohelmot, the language of the "Mole People". If the songs on Eskimo are supposed to be in some inuit-language, then I'm pretty sure it must be a made up inuit language.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
There are other Japanese groups who do this, e.g. the Boredoms (at least on their old records, now there is often something resembling English). They called it 'boago' (Bore language). I think there were others too but nothing springs to mind at this moment. Probably the number of Japanese groups who sing in invented languages has something to do with listening to lots of Western music without understanding much/any of the English.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Frankie Smith's "Double Dutch Bus" (1981, US), was an early rap hit that had choruses comprised of a funkified pig latin inspired by the secret languages kids construct to confound their parents/teachers, etc.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
thanks all (and keep'em coming), that list is now doubled.
I bow before the awesome powers of dissensus.

I doubt there's a single person (or even institution?) on the planet
having all these.

Immryr

i dont know if this counts, but in a song by renaldo and the loaf entitled "Hambu Hodo", they sing in a language consisting of the titles of books, with loads of letters missing.

the song was inspired when they saw an old hamburger and hotdog van that had several letters missing from the sign, so it just read hambu hodo.

gabriel

The Heatwave
R Kelly sings a bunch of made-up words on Quit Actin' by Ray J, though i guess it's more like scat singing than an actual structured language etc

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
gabriel said:
R Kelly sings a bunch of made-up words on Quit Actin' by Ray J, though i guess it's more like scat singing than an actual structured language etc

Doesn't count. "Do-do-ahh, ap-ap", stream of consciousness-stuff, "my voice is my language etc", improvising etc are all invalid.
It has to be a proper "language" with words that can be translated.

Singing in dead languages like Aramaic does not count either - ie Lisa Gerrard (who also sometimes sing in an improvised language).

nick

A Day in the Life
What about the Cocteau Twins then?

"What they are [pre-Four-Calendar Café lyrics], are words that I've taken from...maybe seen written down...in a language that I don't understand, and liking them...and maybe...making new words as well out of them. I mean I've got reams and reams of words that I don't have a clue what they mean, but...I wanted them because, I knew I'd be able to express myself without giving anything away." [NPR Interview, 1993].

"See, I find that mine [lyrics] don't have any meanings. They're not proper. Although I've got a great dictionary of them. It's like the Cockney rhyming slang or something. Writers like John Lennon. Writers that just kind of made up their own portmanteaux that caught on and people still use them. They don't mean anything, though, that's the thing. You know all the transcendent sounds. It's all sound all the way through." [Mondo 2000, 1993].

I found these Liz Fraser quotes here: http://www.cocteautwins.com/html/dynamine/lyrics.html

Admittedly, these quotes are ambiguous in places, as to whether the lyrics "mean" anything or not, but I don't think it's controversial to say that vocalisations can have meaning, whether emotional, "expressive" etc, or in terms of their relationship with real words, without this making them "language". Is there some term like "paralanguage" for the kind of nonsense word that sounds right because it borrows some aspects of its form from familiar words?

There's another quote where she's disparaging about other people's attempts to decipher the lyrics. I haven't had time to look at these attempts - although the Intentional Fallacy suggests that it is possible that a person should speak a coherent made-up language without actually having sat down to work out the grammar or a dictionary, and without fully understanding it themselves.

I also found this:
http://www.cocteautwins.org/analysis.htm

- which is an analysis of the lyrics in terms of "Peircean semiotics" - as far is I can tell, he concludes that the vocals are sort-of language-like, in that they're richly suggestive, but not quite a language.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
nick said:
What about the Cocteau Twins then?

"What they are [pre-Four-Calendar Café lyrics], are words that I've taken from...maybe seen written down...in a language that I don't understand, and liking them...and maybe...

Hehe - exactly. I just realised that as I was posting ... :eek:
Seems like the list will have to be split then, in "real fake" languages
(seems like these are more likely to have a name) and
"improv-fake languages" ...
The latter has obvious advantages for vocalists who cannot remember their lyrics.

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
"improv-fake" languages would seemingly include the various scat-singers...the stuff Bill Cosby did with Quincy Jones in the late-60's ("Hikky Burr", et al) immediately comes to mind...

and this one is way off base, but I have to mention it anyway, if only to get it on a thread: "Clear Skin", by Insides...40 minutes of rapturous moaning, meaning nothing but signifying everything...

clappa

Aka Skrewface
Addis Black Widow, i dont think they are active anymore but DaCream used to make up her own language/words etc.

Ps. I always thought Enya was singin in Welsh or some Gaelic language of some sort.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
clappa said:
Ps. I always thought Enya was singin in Welsh or some Gaelic language of some sort.

She was and is - Latin, Japanese, Gaelic, English etc - whatever suited I reckon (there's some Clannad in the house, but no Enya, so I cannot tell. Well - not that I could tell if this or that song was sung in Latin anyway).

Judging by a piece in the Guardian today "Loxian" was made up to suit her better since she couldn't express herself in the languages so far known to mankind.

Three tracks on her latest release, Amarantine, are written and performed in Loxian, "a futuristic language from a distant planet".

Loxian was created by Enya's lyricist and collaborator Roma Ryan, who has also crafted a new alphabet and a historical background to lend her invented dialect some depth.

"Malkorrheeay onakoul ve pirrro" translates as "It's raining in Ireland." Or, if you wanted to offer a Loxian a cup of tea, you would say: "Hanee unnin eskan?" It's reassuring to know that such home comforts exist even in the farthest reaches of space.

And behold Rambler - Elvish does get a mention,

Enya's team has some experience with imaginary languages after contributing a song sung in Elvish to The Lord of the Rings' soundtrack. Loxian was inspired by that process, but born out of necessity, when the cadences of earthly languages just wouldn't fit the music.

Tweak Head

Damo Suzuki sings in a mixture of English, Japanese and some made up language. More so recently than in Can days I think (on the made-up stuff).

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
Rambler said:
There must be someone writing songs in Elvish and Klingon.

Don't want to hear them though :)
there's this insane swedish (?) band of "ex-black metallers gone dark ambient", singing in Orkish...(!):(
presumably there's an unhealthy obsession with Dungeons&Dragons/Lord Of The Rings going on there...! :confused:

(from the review)
..."Join the epic voyage of the orc leader Uglakh and his compatriots. Their adventure begins in the deep lustrous forest filled with the sounds of the wild and the roar of a great fire. Around it sit the Uruki Uglach, awaiting the mysterious primal dance of their shaman. The morning after, the uruks, compelled by their mystic shamans advice to Uglach, attack an old castle. After the raid, the subservient Golug Fachtal and his more adventurous kinsmen Yagui forage the forest, and set out to build a watch tower. After a frustrated argument about a toadstool, the wet Yagul and the other orcs begin building a tower, while the dagalush Knish and his kapuli friend go further afield, and find a deep sea beach, where the melodious elves are making sweet music. Later, we join the clans march during a night filled with wonder. They press constantly on, sometimes marching, sometimes sneaking. After a short stroll in the forest, Uglakh and his clansmen happen upon the dark, brooding castle of the dreaded vampire Ismael. The journey through his dark castle has two parts, with mysterious subterranean chanting and majestic orchestral sounds. They face many perils there, and end in the final battle with Ismael in his greatest chamber."