The demise of rock

tatarsky

I had feared that my continual disappointment with contemporary rock music was nothing more than a symptom of my entering my mid 20s. But, after reading of so many others writing rock’s eulogy (e.g. http://www.cinestatic.com/whorecull/music/2005_11_01_archive.asp#113147304508265198 ),
it’s clear to me now that there is something more to it. Frankly, I don’t know which is worse. A change in my outlook would at least of been something I could have got over, and allowed me to settle down to the task of completing my Morton Feldman collection, and be content for my own musical output to focus on achieving an accurate portrayal of my own anus. As it is, it appears that there could be more to be done.

All of which leaves me wondering how this has happened, and whether anything can be done to improve the situation. This forum seems like a perfectly good place to aid my enquiry, with the hope that you kids may be able to provide some resemblance of an answer (or at least, some more penetrating questions…).

It would seem reasonable to kick things off with a description of what exactly we’re missing in the first place. Excitement is the key, I suppose, from innovation and new-ness, and expressions of genuine creativity, probably derived from a borrowing of ideas from outside rock (of which there are plenty of recent examples that haven’t been used), and a reformatting of them into rock’s idiom. That new-ness envelopes the listener in to a sensation that they are living NOW, which is what is exciting. Agreed? Or is there something more? Is modernity enough? Does there need to be a social and cultural message? What could this be? Not much more than just - boredom, perhaps?

And does there need to be a “scene”. I’ve never put any stock in “scenes” or anything like that, I have never been a part of anything like that, and frankly, the idea repulses me, as more often that not they appear to be the enemy of creativity rather than an aid. Indeed, the rock “scene” of London today could be described as being quite healthy in terms of the size of its membership. I suppose an environment such as that described in Rip It Up… would be hugely helpful, but I wouldn’t describe it as a scene – more a description of the way things ought to be.

To keep it simple, let’s just say that what I’m after is MODERNITY, which includes new music techniques and juxtapositions, and a relevant proposition to communicate.

So, why is there such a distressing lack of anything that comes even close to fitting the rather vague description above?

It seems to me that the best way to analyse this is to consider both the supply and demand of the current situation (that’s what studying economics does to you).

To really milk the economist’s perspective, we ought to decide whether the current situation represents a market failure or whether the market is operating correctly, and bringing supply and demand together. This is as much as saying, is it the industry’s fault, or is the industry working fine, and what we’re experiencing is merely a reflection of socio-economic conditions?

As an aside, it is interesting to note Sonic Truth’s description of the current the situation as having resulted from the music industry being “a mature capitalist system”. Such a description has some merit, in that the industry is now more than ever driven by profit motives, and appears more business-like that perhaps we would like. There is an irony in that statement though, as you could describe the music industry as failing because it has become an oligopoly, with a few powerful players, whereas the situation of the early 80s could be said to be such a great success because it closely resembled a free market in perfect competition. I doubt that line of enquiry will please everyone though.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand.

Either:

1) Its the industry’s fault.

By which I mean, the industry (both labels and the media) is failing to support creativity, as for some reason it is no longer willing to take risks on artists that may fail. Critics are the bedfellows of the industry, supporting acts with wild claims of greatness. Listeners continue to buy stuff out of some feeling that they ‘ought’ to, as part of a process of self-identification of someone who likes rock music. The industry preys of this sensation of ‘ought to’, but this will eventually die out when people suddenly realise that there’s nothing underpinning their motivation anymore. People want decent music, but perhaps for not that much longer, if things keep going the way they are.

Or,

2) Society no longer demands decent rock music / No-one’s capable of producing it

Could it be that people aren’t interested in anything challenging? This seems like a strange thing to happen, but I can’t think or a reason why it couldn’t. One idea I’ve heard put forward is that in today’s musical climate of eclecticism (rather than strict tribalism), there’s no need for people to mix up genre’s any more. If people want IDM, they go and listen to IDM. They don’t need their rock getting involved. Rock can just stay being rock, thank you very much. I don’t really care for that argument though.

The thing is, if you ask people (and I often do), what they think about the current state of rock music, they’ll all tell you that it’s shit, and that they’d like something decent, please. I’m not sure if that’s enough though. Could it be that our vastly improved wealth gives makes us short on time, high on cash, and so reduces our demands to quick, expensive stuff? Because, challenging rock music ought to take a bit of time, which people don’t really have. Maybe the reason why no-one’s putting out challenging music is that people won’t spend enough time on it? Hmmm… Maybe, we’ve so little time, that even if something good does appear, no one will even notice? They’ll just move on to the next thing, go back to work, and buy another nice pair of Chinese-manufactured shoes on Saturday?

Also, could it be that music has become entirely functional for most – and that the music they need to fulfil those functions is already out there. No need for anymore? If music is there to inspire visceral reactions to innate feelings, perhaps everything’s already been said. No need for another love song? I don’t like this argument though – it would seem to me that what we would want our new rock to do would be inspire visceral reactions which were relevant to this time more than any other, using the technology, language, and social context of the day. It could be that no new technology or language exists, or that the social context hasn’t changed much. But, that is quite clearly not true. There therefore exists the possibility of relevant and meaningful music.

But it could be that the social context is such that people don't really need anything that's about today to be particularly visceral . People just aren't that pissed off. (Yet?)

Time constraints might also limit the likelihood of people producing decent music. Occasionally, I read an article about a band who wear as a badge of honour the fact that they starting gigging 1 month after forming. What the fuck? How are you supposed to construct anything original in a month? People who form rock bands in order to become rock stars, rather that out of any artistic motivation. Anyway, I digress…
It seems unlikely that the creative capabilities of people should come and go through ages. I don’t think post-punk happened because there just happened to be loads of really “talented” people around (I don’t believe in talent, merely hard work, hence the inverted commas). Rather, the conditions were such that those who wanted to create had an environment that allowed them to flourish. Clearly those conditions are not around today. Perhaps, aside from potential issues to do with the industry, there are not enough unemployed people with nothing to do. And even unemployed people can probably keep themselves entertained enough not to do anything.

I don’t believe that there is no-one interested in making decent rock music anymore though. Even if there are fewer, I’m sure there are still some. That’s not much of an issue for me. Indeed, I'm one of them. Could do with some more time though.

In conclusion though, I do think, as well as the more obvious industry problems, there could well be demand-side socio-economic problems at work too. Which is deeply worrying. The principal problem I suppose, is if people just aren’t interested enough in the idea of it anymore. They’re perfectly content to just carry on with what they’re doing.

Imagine that I were to produce an album similar in spirit, but not in sound to, let’s say, Entertainment! or Metal Box, in that it utilised some genres previously taboo in rock and presented them in a new light, reconfiguring what rock could be. Let’s say that this record gets picked up by a label and promoted heavily. Would that do the trick? What would happen? Would anyone even notice? Would the grandiose claims of existing dreck drown it out in the press? Would people take it to heart, or just go on dancing to the same beat?

Perhaps it doesn’t matter? Perhaps some of this shit just needs to start appearing? Does it need to cut through? Perhaps it’s supposed to be outside and ignored by most.

Sure would make it hard to make a second record though…

Quite how you go about tackling some of these problems, I've no idea. Answers on a postcard please. Further questions/problems also welcome.

Oh, and hello, by the way. this is my first post, although i've been lurking for a while.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The last truly "modern" rock band were Sonic Youth...

The White Stripes were just the Pixies with Jon Spenser Blues Explosions stylists.

But yeah theren't are many truly hot rock n roll bands today..But you know as long as they adhere to the Chris Stigliano Velvets/Stooges/Mc5/Pistols/freejazz/avant paradigm there'll always be pretty good variants.

Tho' I hear laughed-at 80s metal is getting 'hip' again these days.

but you gotta understand, the BIGGEST bands in the world these days - Foo Fighters, Green Day, ColdPlay, Jet - are still 'rock' bands, albiet minus any real merit. Interesting how they all represent the height of conservatism, yet are all 'decended' from punk/alt music. It's funny if there was a Whitesnake or BonJovi influenced band that emerged tomorrow, they'd probably be totally radical!

Last edited:

ewmy

Genre Addict
What do you mean by "rock music"? It's hard to tell because you only mention two bands in passing in 1500 words and GoF/PiL are hardly "contemporary rock music"! If you're talking about the commercial, millions-selling major-label bands, I'm sure people were saying the same things 10, 20 and 30 years ago as well. If you're talking about "mainstream indie rock" then yawn, Dissensus knocks Franz Ferdinand part 98. And reading the blog you link to, I think that might be what you mean. But, this is a new thread, not one of the other 97, so I'll take the view that you mean "guitar-based" music. And I just can't see how you can make these generalisations.

Personally, in the past month or so I've been at Deerhoof, Test-Icicles and Langhorne Slim gigs and been blown away by them all - it is very likely I have lower levels of quality control and limited critical faculty, but I thought they all sounded "innovative". But then I also saw the White Stripes and thought they were incredible. Give me them over The Pixies, JSBX, and any combination thereof any day :) They were "original" and "innovative" as well - they sound like Blue Cheer* and there's only two of them! And one's a woman drummer!!!

"Originality", "innovation" and "creativity" are by now such totally devalued words in music discussion that to say any music is inherently bad because it is lacking in those vital attributes means nothing any more. I'd much rather hear about what music is (or was) good rather than all this Bill Grundy-esque "come on, face it, it's rubbish isn't it" that Dissensus excels in at the moment.

*insert your preferred reference point here

PS Hello!

mms

sometimes
Buick6 said:
The last truly "modern" rock band were Sonic Youth...!

i dunno - i think the last time that rock music proper looked like it could actually have an effect beyond just casual pleasure and/or just treadmill angst was Nirvana, and all the contradictions that went with their approach, politics and situation on geffen.
Since then there has been a casual acceptance of the breaks.

henrymiller

i dunno - i think the last time that rock music proper looked like it could actually have an effect beyond just casual pleasure and/or just treadmill angst was Nirvana, and all the contradictions that went with their approach, politics and situation on geffen.
Since then there has been a casual acceptance of the breaks.

lol, what 'effect' did any of the 'approved' bands in this thread have? shellac, go4, pil, sonic youth -- what effect effect did they have? and what's contradictory about nirvana being on geffen?

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
Shellac would be my nomination for the "last modern rock band" crown.
why's that out of interest
i picked out nirvana as they were so popular, their approach to rock was considerably different, and darker from what had gone before on that scale and their handling and feelings about fame and the system they worked in were at odds with what was expected of them .
course shellac and nirvana are pretty close. they certainly were'nt all about teenage pleasures and angst in the fashion that most popular modern rock bands are.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Shellac I choose not so much for "effect", as or for their austere but still rocking aesthetics. They sound almost uniquely hard, and play with their song-structures a lot. They embrace a future idea of rock, then, but importantly there seems to be a rejection of the past in their music, too- there's very little easy melodies/codas/counterpoint etc, and emotionally they have a certain spiky, non-romantic hardness.

So yeah, they progress the sound of rock while disdaining many of it's past excesses. That's how they've carved out their niche. And the overall package is (or was) fairly unique I think.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
As for Nirvana, I think what made them interesting was their contradictions ie actually rather conservative in terms of influences (The Stooges, crap US punk), but they managed to embody these contradictions in an appealling way. But there was too much contradiction in there to form a particularly coherent career path I think.

tatarsky

I don't think it's necessary for music to have an "effect", per se. Would you make the same demands of other art forms? What "effect" did, say, Crime and Punishment have? Art's effects are private, and so difficult to evaluate. It's about new ways of interpreting the world, surely? It's only outwardly observable effect will be the appearance of other similar expressions, as an agreement, or an elaboration.

For what it's worth: My view>

Nirvana = Good
White Stripes = No, a good colour scheme and 1 wonderfully catchy pop tune (7 nation army) does not maketh the band
Shellac = Good
Sonic Youth = Good, but over-rated, IMHO.

The last rock record to really float my boat was GYBE! - Lift your skinny fists... (inexplicable frowned upon in some parts, what about here?) Before that, probably XTRMTR and Kid A.

Whilst it's interesting (and quite fun) to argue about who the last modern rock band is/was, does anyone have anything to say about the change in the conditions that have brought about this dearth discussed above?

Oh, and I would like for this to avoid being a Dissensus knocks FF thread, so let's try and keep it constructive, please.

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
why's that out of interest
i picked out nirvana as they were so popular, their approach to rock was considerably different, and darker from what had gone before on that scale and their handling and feelings about fame and the system they worked in were at odds with what was expected of them .
course shellac and nirvana are pretty close. they certainly were'nt all about teenage pleasures and angst in the fashion that most popular modern rock bands are.

i think everyones forgetting jesus jones, surely the most modern rock n roll band there ever was.

;)

shudder

is it the case in the UK that *all* indie bands are just post-punk lite? Cause that's really not the case here.. I mean, there are many many post-punk, dance-punk indie bands, but there are lots of other kinds too, maybe some which the dissensus crew would find a little more palatable? deerhoof etc.

mind_philip

saw the light
"Rock is dead", and "rock is dead to me" obviously mean very different things. For six months until we moved recently our office overlooked the Astoria, and a couple of times a week you could guarantee a very young, very committed rock crowd would start gathering about mid-day for the gig in the evening. What about them? Since no one can say that the music they're listening to means something different to them than it meant to you years/months/decades ago, what's the point?

tatarsky

mind_philip said:
"Rock is dead", and "rock is dead to me" obviously mean very different things. For six months until we moved recently our office overlooked the Astoria, and a couple of times a week you could guarantee a very young, very committed rock crowd would start gathering about mid-day for the gig in the evening. What about them? Since no one can say that the music they're listening to means something different to them than it meant to you years/months/decades ago, what's the point?

Quite.

This is part of the reason why I've come here - to determine whether this is a genuine phenomenon, or whether I'm just getting old. It seems to me that there enough older heads who have been through this aging process years ago saying similar things, which seems to verify more of a "rock is dead" position, as opposed to "rock is dead to me". The general conclusion is that, in some sense, the current crop is "not enough", in that it serves more of an entertainment purpose than anything artistic, and that it's become commodified and so no longer can be said to represent anything resembling a counter-culture, despite its claims.

The current crop do a good job at conforming to certain rules which have been refined through the years as being the tried and tested methods that can be employed to make people dance, and impress with image. The one who wins is that who finds the neatest mathematical solution to those rules (catchy hook, disco beat + scratchy guitars, bassline that bounces to the beat firmly, difficult haircuts, etc.). Granted those tactics do make for danceable musics, and enjoyable pop. It's damn dull when you get it back to your bedroom though. Some of it's to be admired in its catchiness, but not really feeling it proper.

That's my impression anyhow. I may be wrong though. It's pretty crucial to me to work this out though. Whether "rock is dead" or whether "rock is dead to me" is vital for me to assess, as it decides my direction. So which is it?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Ive been afraid of this for years now. Am I getting old? Am I becoming the person that thinks all modern music is crap? Is rock dead or is it dead to me?

On the one hand, rock itself as a genre needs to be seen over the time period that its existed. It began with RnB and soul roots, from Jerry Lewis to Elvis Presley. Many considered it dead with the invention of the LP, which allwoed artists to create longer songs, and string together songs into concepts, taking out what was so essential to rock up to that point: dancebility. (sidenote: this change in rock was essential to the creation of ska). As rock progresses, it is continually redefined, always by the younger generation.

But has it redefined itself out of existence? Rock now has had one or two generations of target marketing to influence, so now you have pop-rock, dance-rock, nu-metal, rap-metal, and god knows what else kids are listening to these days. The only people I have seen calling their music straight up "rock n roll" are the garage-rock type bands such as White Stripes. And most of these sound remarkably similar.

Further, when bands like Nirvana came out, I was young, and still able to stomache what was on the radio. I had not yet built the background of musical-influence that allowed me to distinguish from bad music and less bad music. If i was 13 now, would i have all of Franz Ferdinand's albums? At the time, I really liked other songs on the radio I never would have liked had I heard them now: Bel Biv Devoe, Jesus Jones, Positive K, Natural Selection. Pop.

So maybe rock is dead to ME.... or maybe im just not a good judge, since rock to me is no longer what rock really is.

"I used to rock 'n roll all night and party everyday. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."
-Homer Simpson

boomnoise

♫
rock sustains itself through each new generation of kids who fall in love with it. sadly this isn't dependable on innovation. what can save rock now?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Rock n roll - remeber its a two-way street - will never die becuase it's fun. You play rock n roll to little kids and they start giggling and jumping around.

Just listen to 'happy' or 'rocks off' by the Stones and you'll understand.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
boomnoise said:
rock sustains itself through each new generation of kids who fall in love with it. sadly this isn't dependable on innovation. what can save rock now?

The next generation of enthusiastic kids will keep it alive.When I was a teenager in the 80's I spent a lot of time listening to garage band music and psychedelia from the 60's and virtually ignored a lot of the innovative music of the time.That music connected with me as a teenager and I didn't care that it wasn't new or ground breaking.

I am now a middle aged Grime fan who wonders why kids want to hang around outside the Astoria all day!