Clipse

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Nice to see Hsu Hua bigging up Lord Willin' in his Wire hip hop column the other day. This is probably my favorite Neptunes thing, and although the rhymes are the most bankrupt pimp stuff, the deep, grimy hooks (both vocal and beat-wise) make it one of the most naggingly enduring albums of the last few years I reckon.

Has anyone heard their new stuff, then?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
"Hell, so much cliental, I could lose it all today
Be back the next day, still up in the same way
As I left ya, all in three gestures, down up and aim"

Yeah, really clinical lyrics, more or less telling you how to be a drug dealer (not really of course, but the cold precision of the lyrics feel almost manual-like).

DavidD

can't be stopped
I don't think the lyrics are bankrupt. Certainly they're not that straightforwardly dismissed!

I think what I like about them as rappers is the total cold dispassionate approach to lyrics that often speak to incredibly complex and morally provacative questions.

huffafc

Mumler
lord wllin' has got to be one of the best hip-hop albums in the last five years

unfortunately their second record has been delayed for a couple of years now.

however, any fan of the clipse has got to find "We Got it 4 Cheap Vol. 2". on this mixtape clipse basically remake many of the best beats of the past year and a half. almost every one is darker, grimier, and almost always tighter than the originals.

who knows if the clipse have anything to do with the streets they talk so much about, but they are better than anyone these days at evoking the feeling that they know what they are talking about very, very intimately.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think what I like about them as rappers is the total cold dispassionate approach to lyrics that often speak to incredibly complex and morally provacative questions.

very nicely put. thanks for the mixtape tips, guys, will check em out.

tom pr

huffafc said:
however, any fan of the clipse has got to find "We Got it 4 Cheap Vol. 2". on this mixtape clipse basically remake many of the best beats of the past year and a half. almost every one is darker, grimier, and almost always tighter than the originals.
Definitely seconded, that clipse mixtape is probably my second fav hiphop release this year after lord quas. 'what's up' with Pharrell is excellent, as is P remixing outkast's 'elevators (me and you song)'

Tim F

Haven't heard the mix-tape but I've always thought the lyrics on <i>Lord Willin</I> were excellent! "So sad but we won't think twice/we're rich, we get the best judicial advice!"

gumdrops

im wondering if these guys have lost their edge. do like bits of the new mix-cd and i know its not really anything 'official' but still, it sounds like either theyre a) no longer hungry/motivated at all or b) maybe just arent motivated for this project. if b)s the case though, doesnt do them many favours. they need to pick better beats too (more like dumb it down plz - reminds me of trill from the last album).

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
agreed, not really feeling the new mixtape. some tracks are good but overall it doesn't hit the same nerve for me as lord willin. I do like the new clipse/clinton sparks "still got it 4 cheap" tune though.

doom

Public Housing
I do like the new clipse/clinton sparks "still got it 4 cheap" tune though.

This is the best one I've heard fr awhile. I feel like every beat I've heard them on in the last 6 mnths has an organ in it :slanted: I'm a big fan of organs (see the beat for Oseeola - Street Wear) but Clipse beat selection seems to have really slipped. Maybe there are certain pressures once you've got more of a rep, I dunno.