Mark Gardener

satanmcnugget

used to be a fan of the band Ride way back in the day...stopped following them a bit, only to regain some interest again recently...so i saw today that the guitarist Mark Gardener has started a solo project, and he's playing Toronto in a few weeks time...i was just wondering if anyone here has heard any of Mark's stuff, whether it's any good, and if i shld throw down my hard-earned 20 dollars to check him out when he pops into town?

tryptych

waiting for a time
I really don't like his backing band of recent years, Goldrush. I saw him a couple of years ago and it was alright, but the high point was definately him playing "Vapourtrail". His new stuff was not terribly memorable.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
First you look so strong,
Then you fade away.
The sun will blind moy oys,
I love you anyway.
First you form a smile,
I watch you for a while.
You are a vapour trail,
In a deep blue skoy.

Tremble with a soy,
Glitter in your oy.
You seem to come and go,
I never seem to know.
And all my toyme,
is yours as much as moyne.
We never have enough,
Time to show our love.

kennel_district

apparently it was andy bell who wrote all those dreadful ride lyrics. actually vapour trail is quite sweet. but once you could actually hear the words well on 'carnival of light' you became aware of gems such as

'you are the crown of creation / i'm getting off at your station / oh oh oh oh'

ha ha.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
yuk...those Ride lyrics remind me of the romantic gushings of James Brolin and Barbra Streisand a few years back...I recall that they were so in love with each other that they dreaded sleep, because that meant 8 hours they would be "apart" from each other... :rolleyes:

Vietgrove

Godbluff
I used to really like ride back in the day, at least before they went all tradrock. The awful lyrics killed it a bit for me as well. Problem is, once you work out what they're singing, you can't really turn it off again when you listen to the records.

No idea about Gardener's new material.