DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomnoise

♫
Thought i'd start this thread for the same reasons that Simon started the GRIME thread. This will hopefully keep dubstep spam and cross postage to a bare minimum.

Some of the things i see going here: thoughts about FWD / DMZ, release news and pretty much all the kind of thing which turn up on the GRIME thread.

i will also post links to the dubstep sets i record as i'm sure a lot of you will appreciate them.

boomnoise

♫
i'm finding it very difficult to get my head around the idea of not being able to get hold of boxcutter record until april! please report as soon as you get it gutter!

nomos

Administrator
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
the disc is blank/fucked. Life can be cruel sometimes :mad:
Bah! I had the exact same problem with a CD-R that arrived from London today. And I was really looking forward to it :(

gumdrops

Blackdown said:
but wonder doesnt make dubstep...

but is there no overlap at all between what he does and what dubstep producers do? i always - perhaps incorrectly - thought he was sort of on the line between grime and dubstep like mark one and plasticman...

no shit...

...i didn't know there were dubstep mc's and grime mc's

i'm woefully ignorant of UK mc's...

so who's who ???

yup, looking forward to the box cutter album and the scuba one

Blackdown

nexKeysound
gumdrops said:
but is there no overlap at all between what he does and what dubstep producers do? i always - perhaps incorrectly - thought he was sort of on the line between grime and dubstep like mark one and plasticman...

no, he's Dump Valve and ex-Roll Deep: he's grime and there's already a massive grime news thread. you can't miss it, it's had 15,000 pageviews!

gumdrops

okay, if that's the case, what about mark one and plasticman - are they grime or dubstep? and can they only be one of the two?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
if you ask Plastic he will tell you 100% he's grime. do we have to have this debate again? it does piss him off...

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Blackdown said:
no, he's Dump Valve and ex-Roll Deep: he's grime and there's already a massive grime news thread. you can't miss it, it's had 15,000 pageviews!

Does it matter what label he is on or if he has a connection to a crew?Play 'What' and 'Midnight Request Line' back to back,forget any 'political' context and then tell me they are both a different genre of music.

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:

yeah i reckon there is really - seeing that loefah interview on blackdowns page where he reflects on wonders ' what'
Production wise wonder is the most flat and bassy of the grime producers, the most atmospheric which are elements present in dubstep.
but he's grime really in that he's from east, comes out of roll deep/slimzee background and works with mcs, even thought there are a few margin runners ie wonder/plastic/markone who seem to cover grimey stuff, dubstep and breaksier stuff, tho plastics sets are totally grimey nowdays and markone has established himself more with virus syndicate as a grime produver behind an act.

anyway new d1 and dmz out monday !

Last edited:

gumdrops

oh poor old plastic - he might get a tiny bit pissed off!

but anyway, regardless of what scene-badge the producers are wearing or what scene theyre supposed to be from til the day that they die, i see nothing wrong in accepting that it can get a bit blurry (not saying the boundaries should become non-existent or that the scenes should lose their identity - i know theres still quite a distance between both scenes). i mean, if dexplicit suddenly made some beats that sounded like loefah (god forbid), would that mean the beat he made was still only grime? its like saying that roll deeps the avenue is still a grime tune just cos theyre from the grime scene (dont wanna go down *that* route though cos its been done to death). perhaps im not aware just how strict these boundaries/loyalties are and that if youre a dubstep artist, everything you make, even if it sounds like an armand van helden beat (hypothetically speaking), it would still be dubstep. i think its a case by case scenario thats diff according to each artist/track in question. and guys like mark one, plasticman, wonder throw the strict boundaries placed on each scene into question a little bit. i dont think thats a bad thing at all.

edit: here's how plasticman classes his sound -
http://www.dissensus.com/showpost.php?p=29758&postcount=54
regardless of what he says, and it makes sense, i dont think its hard to see why dubstep fans might be more into plasticman/mark one/wonder's production than someone like dexplicit, jammer or mondie

Last edited:

3underscore

gumdrops said:
okay, if that's the case, what about mark one and plasticman - are they grime or dubstep? and can they only be one of the two?

Given the amount of times plasticman has said he is grime, he is clearly dubstep. It's like excessive denial. Nah, Plasticman is grime, Mark One is typically dubstep when on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.