new Brazilian Girls material

dominic

Beast of Burden
as new yorkers likely know, if not others here, the brazilian girls were the first band to make a name for themselves out of nublu

i spend far too much time at nublu hanging out, etc, so i'm hardly the most objective or disinterested observer

even so, i didn't hop on the brazilian girls bandwagon for their first album

for any number of reasons

however, i heard their new material last night and it blew me away

very psychedelic

very post-punky (as per their name, a serious misappropriation of brazilian beats)

and very tricky rhythms

while retaining their pop sensibility

as far as i'm concerned, the best of their new stuff renders the likes of outhud vanilla pale

only question is whether they have enough top material to span an entire album

i'll have more to say on this subject in coming weeks, once i've digested their new material

ryan17

i haven't heard any of their new album but,

on ewan pearson's sci.fi.hi.fi. mix this year he had a remix of a brazilian girls song.

brazilian girls - don't stop (riton re-rub)

what does the album sound like?

kind of post-electroclash(ish) i imagine from the remix.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
This is one band that you can't find by just doing a google search on their name.

I'm about to go off on a tangent here- at some point, I reckon the general ease of access to the vast majority of music on the internet is going to encourage a lot of musicians and labels to operate outside these channels. At some point, if you're a kid, isn't music that ISN'T on iTunes going to start carrying some sort of cachet, some sort of frisson?

Things which are that bit harder to find, like non-googlables such as Brazilian Girls, are going to become cooler.

tryptych

waiting for a time
On the flip, do you think bands try to pick unusual names so that they will be easily google-able, and be able to get a URL for their website very close to their actual name?

If I was starting a band, I know I'd be thinking about it...

DJ PIMP

Diggedy Derek said:
Things which are that bit harder to find, like non-googlables such as Brazilian Girls, are going to become cooler.
At some point posture gets tired whatever it is and then its all about the tunes.

dominic

Beast of Burden
Diggedy Derek said:
non-googlables such as Brazilian Girls/QUOTE]

my initial theory was that their name was a play on "boys from brazil" -- but it seems i was wrong

most people think that their name is a nod to the many beautiful women from brazil who pass through nublu (esp. wednesdays)

anyway, i thought their earlier material sounded too much like thievery incorporated or something

and yet it's always been clear to me that they're talented musicians who are in it for the love of music . . . .

and the stuff they played last night was (a) much more rhythmically adventurous w/ weird breakdowns; and, on certain songs, (b) much more cold/decadent/european; and, in general, (c) psychedelic; and (d) more "rock music" in feel

[i.e., their sound has become both more (A) brazilian/rhythmic and (B) european/cold -- an impressive trick]

so a marked improvement over their earlier stuff -- and superior to most other bands i've heard in recent years

the big question is how this "live" material will be "captured" in the studio -- and i was told they go into the studio in mid-december and will have new stuff out in january

they're on verve -- so they have serious financial resources behind them