Children's Picture Books

Woebot

aka "the Dad's thread":

My boy Sam has just started to really enjoy being read to, and my little Lulu has just made the leap to enjoying being read books without so many pictures (we just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) so I thought I'd share with the dads out there the really great books we enjoy:

Frances by Russel Hoban

BREAD_JAM_FRANCES.jpg

This ROCKS hard.

Smartestgiant.jpg

Forget the Gruffalo (such rubbish) the Smartest Giant is *the one*

0394839102.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

brilliant!

WocketInPocket.jpg

Wocket in my Pocket. The best Dr Seuss by a long mile, the rest are OK, a bit too wordy. The Lorax is good too I reckon.

Now some all time classics:

0241003008.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

of course innit!

Harry the Dirty Dog:

timelineharry.jpg

innit:

0064431789.l.gif

back to more obscure stuf, evrything by John Burningham is wicked the blanket,

BURlacob2869.jpg

but also the baby and the dog.

unmissable are lyle lyle crocodile:

WB-2507_f.jpg

(a good one for the new yorkers is lyle)

and we love toffle:

n43456.jpg

finally (and this REALLY amounts to the cream of the crop i've presented here)

the great dog is thirtsy:

0374318069.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

jenks

thread death
off the top of my head - will have to consult the kids for the definitive list -

charlie and lola books are huge in my house (now on cbeebies at 6)

caps for sale by esphyr slobnika (i think) - very simple and quite beautiful -'you monkeys you give me back my caps'

pumpkin soup and pipkn of pepper - helen cooper

the last polar bears - harry horse

the gaskitt stories - alan ahlberg (for the slightly older kids - my 7 yaer old likes to read them by himself in bed)

they love the a a milne poetry books - binker, james james morrison morrison etc

hairy mclary and slinky malinki

winnie the witch - korky paul's top illustrations

they are mad for george's marvellous medicine, fantastic mr fox, the enormous crocodile - all dahl

all the mog books and the tiger who came to tea (love the harrassed dad who solves the situation by taking everyone out for tea - nice pint tankard)

but maybe the ultimate favourite is still ...

THE GRUFFALO

ps loved your list - harry the dog is lovely

sorry there's no pix to go with this and i am sure i have missed loads of others but maybe this will get the ball rolling

john eden

male pale and stale
Awesome!

Nice tips for xmas pressies!

Yeah, we really rate Dr Seuss, "Wild Things", "Harry The Dirty Dog" (I was read this as a kid as well, so the graphics are really vivid for me).

These all seem to work for 4 year olds...

0333903382.01.LZZZZZZZ

Gruffalo/Smartest Giant - both great and see also "Room on The Broom" from the same author. Great rhyming business!

1865086908.02.LZZZZZZZ

Gordon's Got a Snookie Really nice pics and a good opportunity to do gorilla bellowing. Plus a nice “don’t worry if people take the mick out of you” message.

1844280594.02.LZZZZZZZ

Knuffle Bunny. Really nice combination of graphics layed over photos and a lovely turn of phrase – about a girl who loses her favourite toy at the laundertte.

0763618977.01.LZZZZZZZ

Bob The Man on the Moon. A day in the life of a bloke who works on the moon and doesn’t believe that aliens exist, despite them being all over the place. Lots of scope for “Look at those cheeky aliens, they’re nicking his lunch!” comments.

Quite possibly more to follow!

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
would add to the much love for Bob

his other book about dougal the deep sea diver is also very popular - great fush that sufi would enjoy :D

forgot to mention beatrix potter - we got a set bought for us and thought they'd just gather dust but they love them - the more ornate/ archaic the language the better - affronted, soporific and lots of animals getting their bottoms smacked - the can't gte enough of it.

i'll get James (almost 7) and John (5 1/2) to compile their lists tonight

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
John agrees with most of my choices but would like to add:

Where's Wally - kids love them but adults come away with blinding migranes

The Mr. Wolf stories - especially when he gets to eat Goldilocks!

The Fidget and Quilly stories _ Countdown to Bedtime by Haines and Melling

James has pointed out that i have missed loads of books from Australia (a particular genre he enjoys)

Wombat Divine by Mem Fox - a wombat gets to try out for all the roles in a nativity play

Wombat Stew - Marcia Vaughn - dingo cathches a wombat and then tries to make stew

The Mighty Bunyips - Paul Harvey Aussie rules football story

My Farm - Alison Lester growing up on an outback farm

The Shack that Dad Built - Elaine Russell True story of growing up as an aborigine (lovely pictures by top artist)

he also wanted to mention Old Possum's book of Practical Cats - again never expected he'd want to read it by he loves the rhymes ( remember he is the boy who loves Droid's latest mix, maybe i'd shouldn't be surprised)

obviously this must be quite nauseating to certain board members - all cute and family worshipping but at least it's not grime spam

Woebot

yeah!

nice one jenks. nice one jon. loads of ones i haven't heard of (ditto john's comments about xmas pressies!)

also made me think of loads more

0374373868.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

vis a vis mog lulu loves:

0007149689.jpg

in which mog dies!!!!

and ditto charlie and lola. they are really nice, though sometimes it gets a wee bit notting hill/pre-pubescent bridget jones diary doncha think? woops just ruined it for everybody, lol.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
not being very child friendly myself i can't really speak for kidz but i do agree with the love for this......

(floods of tears)

rewch

jenks said:
James has pointed out that i have missed loads of books from Australia (a particular genre he enjoys)

not sure what age James is (not really au fait with this genre) but can i recommend (very heartily) the magic pudding by norman lindsay... about a magic pudding unsurprisingly, which never runs out & which everyone wants...

jenks

thread death
rewch said:
not sure what age James is (not really au fait with this genre) but can i recommend (very heartily) the magic pudding by norman lindsay... about a magic pudding unsurprisingly, which never runs out & which everyone wants...

very kind rewch - feel i might have christmas sorted now

he can't get enough of those crazy marsupials

Lichen

twung tister

3underscore said:
Matt - I am surprised on the Suess of no "Fox in Socks" love. A veritable classic

But really, really hard to read..."slow Joe crow sews whose clothes?...slow Jow crow sews Sue's clothes...."

arrrrgghh!

D84

I loved this Maurice Sendak book when I was a kid

0060266686.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And Asterix and Tintin are a must once they get a bit older