chicago house nowadays

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

obviously there's still a fairly active 4/4 scene in detroit, and you can draw a kind of uh 'continuum' from the early 80s to now.

but i'm wondering if the same's true of chicago? is the chicago house scene still going strong? has it survived since the days of Trax etc? i haven't heard much about what's going on in chicago, but that might simply be cuz of a dillentete-ish, hipsterish approach to dance music... ;)

anyway, i know there's quite a few people on here from chicago, and a lot who know quite a bit about techno and house, so i'd be interested to find out what, if anything, is going on house-wise in chicago nowadays...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
vache said:
Here's a good list of forthcoming events to give you an idea of what is going on currently house and techno-wise:
http://www.chi-tech.org/

Do you know who puts together that list?

I live in Chicago, and have become pretty sick of the "House" scene. But its always there, underlying everything that happens. When I first moved here 8 years ago, I was astonished to hear cabs driving around at night bumping house tracks.

But I recently had a revelation about Chicago House. Originally the term referred to gospel/soul house. When I got into parties in the mid 90s, to me it referred to jackin/acid house. (equal parts dj funk and traxx) But recently a forward minded individual working for the Chicago Cultural Center has begun to include a DJ night in the annual Summerdance program (a cultural, outdoor event that features a variety of styles of music and dance instruction). These things are packed, and the Djs that have showed up are who's-who list of Chicago House.

However, at one particular event, the headliner was Dj Dan. Hard, almost progressive house. His introducer called him "The Ambassador of Chicago House". And unfortunately, this is true. The Chicago house scene has gone waaaay above ground, and the term now refers to this monotonous, repetitive, and musically dull form of house for the large clubs. And this is why i have become disillusioned with house.

But, that is not the sole state of Chicago house. I have to remind myself consistently that this is an undergound musical form. There is still good Chicago house being spun. Its not all Dj Dan or, the other overplayed subgenre, deep jazzy house a la Mark Farina. There is jacking house, acid house, and funky soulful house. And its in the underground. The real fun is at loft parties, some small clubs on weekdays, and the occasional warehouse party.

(shameless self promotion: http://www.eclecticgrooves.com/COUNTDOWN06.html)

So yeah, Chicago House is still alive, and in many varied formats.

atomly

atomiq one
Freakaholic said:
Do you know who puts together that list?

Yeah, my friend Dave does it. He also has a Friday night show on WNUR with Matt MacQueen called Clinically Inclined and does a monthly at Sonotheque...

You can check them out at Sonic Sunset

I wouldn't say that even begins to scrape the surface of the Chicago "house" scene, though, given that it focuses mainly on minimal techno and the ilk. Asking if house is alive in Chicago is almost comical. You can't throw a rock in this city without hitting a club that plays house music.

S

simon silverdollar

atomly said:
You can't throw a rock in this city without hitting a club that plays house music.

that's good to know.

who are the big chicago producers now then?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Yeah, Sonic Sunset is great, I download every show that they put up. Seems like there is nearly as much minimal techno, dub house and acid coming out of Chicago as Detroit these days. Peeps like Soultek and Hieroglyphic Being.

atomly

atomiq one
simon silverdollar said:
that's good to know.

who are the big chicago producers now then?

I tend to stick to the more techno side of things, so...

Zach Lubin (formerly The Mumtaz), Traxx, The Dirty Criminals, Hieroglyphic Being / IBM, Soultek, Kate Simko are the ones who are getting out there a lot... Lots of kids making beats and just playing live PAs to a few people and such. The scene is definitely in that in-between phase where the really big dudes have moved on and there are a bunch of up and comers, which I think is pretty exciting. There are also a lot of DJs who have been around for a long time that are finally starting to produce too, which is great.

echevarian

babylon sister
Could anyone give me some pointers for Deep House records, either that or NY garage?

I know a bit about Levan, Frankie Knuckles, and their relationship to techno and house.

I'm looking for good records with that kind of deep techno sounding synths, but also with vocals.

I know that House was massively active in 90s, just wasn't there for any of it.

I'm a dubstep head, so extra points for tribal stuff with poly-rhythms.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
DJ Sneak? Masters @ Work? and Roger Sanchez is always pretty reliable..

People might think these guys are commerical, cheesy or whatever, but smart alecks like Herbert and IDM would chop their knobs off to get as much jack action as these guys.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Yeah house is definitely alive in Chicago still. As far as big glossy mainstream house I really really love JJ FLores and Steve Smooth's "Time For Love" which you can check here: http://myspace.com/jjflores

I imagine we're the only city with a station (Power 92) that proclaims itself the 'sound of the streets' - i.e. plays mostly rap music to a large black audience - and still plays jack-style house (usually at night, admittedly.) DJ Boolu Master spins like every night on 92.3, and he's an unbelievable DJ with extensive knowledge from old school to current street rap to house music - usually 'house music' = uptempo ghetto/jack house, lots of rap music remixes (whisper song, gettin some head, etc).

DavidD

can't be stopped
Further, there was recently a big Chicago Tribune article on a dance phenomenon called 'footworkin' (they compared it to krumping, that clown-dance style that is big in LA and Missy videos) from the south side where teenagers dance entirely to uptempo ghetto house (lots of rap remixes too). Its a footwork-heavy dance style (obviously), here's a copy of the article.

Chicago's dance battleground: Footworkin'

Buick6

too punk to drunk
DavidD said:
Yeah house is definitely alive in Chicago still. As far as big glossy mainstream house I really really love JJ FLores and Steve Smooth's "Time For Love" which you can check here: http://myspace.com/jjflores

I imagine we're the only city with a station (Power 92) that proclaims itself the 'sound of the streets' - i.e. plays mostly rap music to a large black audience - and still plays jack-style house (usually at night, admittedly.) DJ Boolu Master spins like every night on 92.3, and he's an unbelievable DJ with extensive knowledge from old school to current street rap to house music - usually 'house music' = uptempo ghetto/jack house, lots of rap music remixes (whisper song, gettin some head, etc).

That sounds so fucken cool, I could sucking my own dick! :p

But that JJ FLores stuff sounds a little underdone...

Last edited:
scarboi said:
Could anyone give me some pointers for Deep House records, either that or NY garage?

I know a bit about Levan, Frankie Knuckles, and their relationship to techno and house.

I'm looking for good records with that kind of deep techno sounding synths, but also with vocals.

You talking about new records or old ones? I can post you a list of oldies but I dunno about new stuff.....

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
scarboi said:
Records-wise I'd be happy with anything from say 88 post acid house to the present day.

You can get house classic 12"s at HMV. franky knuckles/leftfield/MAW, i got myself a few.

OK, all those genre names mean different things to different people but for me...

top Chicago deep house:

Joe Smooth - Promised Land
Ten City - That's The Way Love Is
Charles B - Lack Of Love
Night Writers - Let The Music Use You
Sterling Void - It's All Right
Fingers Inc - Another Side (album)

top NY garage:

well pretty much every good old garage 12" I've got is on this compilation:
"The Garage Sound Of New York" on Republic (a UK label)

see if you can find it, it's worth it (plus I should imagine it's a 50p / oxfam kinda record these days)

echevarian

babylon sister
I just picked up a old scratched up copy of Farley Jackmaster Funk's

"Funkin with the Drums Again",

This I like, a lot, anything else this hardhitting exist?

Particularly from the golden age?

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Scarboi - Here are some names to look for, some who are as far as I know are still producing house music in the style you mentioned from Chicago.

Glen Underground
Boo Williams
SJU
Roy Davis Jr.
Larry Heard
Gemini
Gene Ferris
Tim Harper
Chris Gray

When I get home I will rummage through my records and add to this list.
:)

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
scarboi said:

strictly rhythm up through 92 defined the genre

other top labels =

trax records
dj international
clubhouse
house-n-effect = esp. ubq project
black label = esp. "ruff disco, volume 1"
maxi records
sleeping bag
nu groove
massive b = bobby konders, nick jones
easy street
jungle sounds = esp. instant house, "over"
project x records
cutting records
warlock = todd terry
minimal records = esp. "the jackie hustle"
underworld/apexton
data base
street level = esp. "work this pussy"
fourth floor records
upfront records = esp. "best of garage, volume 1"
profile records
movin' records
id records = "too blind to see it"
underground music movement = top italian label
irma records
flying records
underground resistance = top top garage (fuck techno)
plus 8
vinyl solution
desire
optimism records = esp. expansions, "move your body"
tam tam = esp. sgh, "i'm losing you"
hardcore urban music = genaside ii
02 records = psychotropic
strictly underground
warrior dance
champion = uk label w/ rare versions of american house
hard hands
outer rhythm
juice box = guy called gerald
no noise = unique 3
u.f.g.
logic records
justice records = "jungle love"
true love communications

plus the majors . . . .
ffrr
rca
mca = basement boys
arista = "another sleepless night," "where love lives"
sbk
a&m = "finally"
mercury = "gypsy woman"
virgin/charisma

I would take issue with quite a few of those, especially the NY ones like 4th Floor which seem like quite a different lick to me, most of all Cutting which mostly released freestyle (aka latin hiphop).
Lots of good music though regardless of genre.

As far as minimal/drummy tracks like Farley's "Funkin' With The Drums Again" I would say the ultimate one is Steve Poindexter "Work That Mutha Fucka" on Muzique (also featuring the amazing "Computer Madness"), also other records from Steve Poindexter and Mike Dunn like Mike Dunn's classic "Tracks That Move Ya" EP also on Muzique.
Then there's Li'l Louis' "The Original Video Clash" and "War Games" which are both pretty far out, and lots of weird acidy tracks by Mr Fingers are amazing.

Virgo's "Rhythm Trax"and lots of early records by Farley, Jesse Saunders & many others are just drum machine tracks but to be honest I find them a bit dull.

On the deep house tip, how could I forget to mention Jamie Principle and Frankie Knuckles' 4 classic 12s: "Your Love" "Baby Wants To Ride" "Waiting For My Angel" "Cold World/Bad Boy". The first three are worth seeking out on original 12s for the mental dub mixes but all the vocal versions are easy to find on represses & comps.