new villalobos mix cd

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

just picked up the 'green and blue' 2cd mix today: one cd by loco dice, the other by villalobos.

can't recommend it highly enough, really, especially the villalobos mix: much less minimal, and a lot of more driving and housey than i expected, but still with that alien weirdness you always get with villalobos: although this time around it seems very soulful and charming.

mms

sometimes
simon silverdollar said:
just picked up the 'green and blue' 2cd mix today: one cd by loco dice, the other by villalobos.

can't recommend it highly enough, really, especially the villalobos mix: much less minimal, and a lot of more driving and housey than i expected, but still with that alien weirdness you always get with villalobos: although this time around it seems very soulful and charming.

heard his new double pack on cadenza?

adverb

mms said:

yeah, it's quality. some quite folky bits going on in parts. luciano's remix of saleif keita is out next i think - also excellent. cadenza all the way.

S

simon silverdollar

mms said:

only heard soundclips of it, but they sound really quite gorgeous. are you going to stock it at warpmart?

mms

sometimes
simon silverdollar said:
only heard soundclips of it, but they sound really quite gorgeous. are you going to stock it at warpmart?

yeah ordered it ages ago but word and sound are being well slack at getting back to us with an invoice for the order - maybe they have gone on holiday or something.

S

simon silverdollar

orson said:
does he drop request line ? :p
sadly not! strictly grime all the way on this mix- no fassy grime/dubstep hybrids here! ;)

villalobos is a bad boy dj.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Is this any good then? Cos the KLF stuff they did was pure 100% shite, still born and killed on the coffee table of glitch and chin, I can still smell the Pledge ;)

mms

sometimes
Martin Dust said:
Is this any good then? Cos the KLF stuff they did was pure 100% shite, still born and killed on the coffee table of glitch and chin, I can still smell the Pledge ;)

nah it's a masterpiece, clean zesty drug funk.

also the modern deep quintet ep on wagon repair which is by mathew jonson the mole danuel tate, tyger dhula is also exceptional

check versatile label hot shots with i cube, chateau flight, maurice fulton , future beat alliance etc for top draw dubby disco too

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
mms said:
nah it's a masterpiece, clean zesty drug funk.

also the modern deep quintet ep on wagon repair which is by mathew jonson the mole danuel tate, tyger dhula is also exceptional

check versatile label hot shots with i cube, chateau flight, maurice fulton , future beat alliance etc for top draw dubby disco too

Best take a look then, although clean zesty drug funk sounds like code for "just done a phat line of K and you need one for this to make sense" ;)

mms

sometimes
Martin Dust said:
Best take a look then, although clean zesty drug funk sounds like code for "just done a phat line of K and you need one for this to make sense" ;)

there is an element of that to all his records, that's what makes him unique for better or worse - the last two, the klf and chromosul were definitley for worse..

Tim F

Villalobos's Perlon album felt to me like one big build-up to "True To Myself", which I thought was marvellous - but that was kinda it.

The Guido Schneider remix of Dub Kult's "On & On" is I suspect the ultimate faux-Villalobos record for people who find the real thing hard to love.

adverb

mms said:
there is an element of that to all his records, that's what makes him unique for better or worse - the last two, the klf and chromosul were definitley for worse..

the klf mixes were forgettable but chromasul is in a different class, very dancefloor as well as being the usual high quality headphones experience. i've played it out alot and haven't ever seen somone walk away scratching their head...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
adverb said:
the klf mixes were forgettable but chromasul is in a different class, very dancefloor as well as being the usual high quality headphones experience. i've played it out alot and haven't ever seen somone walk away scratching their head...

Did they stroke their chin tho :) I'll check it out - cheers for the tips.

adverb

Martin Dust said:
Did they stroke their chin tho :) I'll check it out - cheers for the tips.

nothing wrong with that. the very fact that we are talking about dance music outside of club opening hours on the internet makes us hideous chin strokers in the eyes of "normals".

strokey stroke stroke!

adverb

Martin Dust said:
Can you dance to it? Mmmmmm, stroke, strokey-stroke and geek pie ;)

it's kenny dixon, purposemaker and tangerine dream stuck in an elevator with a bag of angel dust and some ferrets.

i can dance to that!

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Has Theo Parrish done an edit? If not, i'm not really interested who's in the lift even if they do have God's cock and Jesus pushing ;)