guardian quotes k-punk

S

simon silverdollar

this in today's Guardian Media supplement:

" The NME: to its detractors, inevitably those who remember its golden age as their own youthful era, it has turned into 'smash hits for indie kids'. but thanks to the resurgence of guitar-based British music it has once again become required reading."

the italicised quote is something that k-punk said on that Resonance fm blog documentary, if memory serves.

mms

sometimes
simon silverdollar said:

" The NME: to its detractors, inevitably those who remember its golden age as their own youthful era, it has turned into 'smash hits for indie kids'. but thanks to the resurgence of guitar-based British music it has once again become required reading."

the italicised quote is something that k-punk said on that Resonance fm blog documentary, if memory serves.

wasnt it smash hits for students?

shykitten

peek-a-boo
simon silverdollar said:

"The NME ... thanks to the resurgence of guitar-based British music it has once again become required reading."

Required reading for Guardian Media sub-editors, maybe. I looked at a few issues a while back and it was like a kids' comic, the same eight or so headline acts each week, all male if I recall, like cartoony boys' gangs, featuring in their continuing adventures. The standard of writing was abysmal: proper interviews seemed to have been dumped in favour of easy Q&As, no context or criticism. But maybe it is just doing its job of reflecting the blandness of mainstream 'new music'.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
shykitten said:
Required reading for Guardian Media sub-editors, maybe. I looked at a few issues a while back and it was like a kids' comic, the same eight or so headline acts each week, all male if I recall, like cartoony boys' gangs, featuring in their continuing adventures. The standard of writing was abysmal: proper interviews seemed to have been dumped in favour of easy Q&As, no context or criticism. But maybe it is just doing its job of reflecting the blandness of mainstream 'new music'.

What makes me laugh at that Guardian quote now I look at it again is the idea that 'resurgence of guitar-based British music' somehow refutes rather than proves the original point about Smash Hits for students.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't see why the NME should be so guitar-centric anyway, surely N stands for New? In the nineties they introduced a "dance-music" section but you could tell that their heart wasn't in it, you could practically hear the sigh of relief when the Strokes et al came along and indie was the big news again. The dance-music section didn't last too long after that.
Describing its detractors as “inevitably those who remember its golden age as their own youthful era” seems a bit of a cheap shot anyway as it doesn’t allow the possibility that it may actually not be as good as it was once.

luka

craner sent me a text this evening reading, and i quote
fingering my bumhole, feels like fireworks. a revelation.