Technorati: who's using it?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I've been fiddling with Technorati over the last few days and finding it a bit disappointing. (I've been looking for pagan blogs and not getting much joy.)

As I mentioned on my blog, it looks like Dissensians may not be getting the traffic / attention they deserve because they don't seem to be tagged. I mean, if you type “Grime” or “Dubstep” into technorati, you won’t get Fiddy or Blackdown. (And if you type “Woebot”or “record collecting” in, you don’t get Woebot.)

So who here is using Technorati? And do you have any tips?

john eden

male pale and stale
Anything which requires you to register for searches = a non-starter.

Google is much better than technorati.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I'm surprised -- my registration process was painless and convenient, but then I wanted to tell it what blog I had.

What do you do with google?

Rambler

Awanturnik
I don't use any of that Technorati tag business. Seemed like a bit of a buzz thing, and anyway, in Blogger it's beyond nightmarish doing the things.

I only use Technorati for little kicks of ego finding new links to the blog at the beginning of a day, but it's pretty patchy at even that. For finding blogs, nothing beats personal recommendations; but directories like Blogflux are helpful - but for these, and for Technorati tags, it's up to bloggers to make sure they're listed.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about -- trying to nudge bloggers here to use technorati tags so they can collect more hits... but if that's not the way forward...

It's just that I think there is still a major and growing perception out there that technorati is the oracle for blogs...

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about -- trying to nudge bloggers here to use technorati tags so they can collect more hits... but if that's not the way forward...

It's just that I think there is still a major and growing perception out there that technorati is the oracle for blogs...

Well that's the problem then - centralisation. An Unwebby concept.

I reckon most people end up at my blog because they've googled a load of weird stuff ("Mark Stewart weetabix skinheads" or something) and then poked about.

Mind you, my google rankings are outrageously good - I'm on the front page for Jah Shaka, Mark Stewart, Peter Sotos, and indeed weetabix skinheads (if you don't use quotes for the latter).

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
John, it's not "centralisation", it's social networking...

Bollocks is it :D - "social networking" is what gets done here and in blog comments boxes, not by getting everyone to sign up to some nice tidy centralised website - what's "social" about that? :confused:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I've had some success with it searching for ie
"netlabel" and "field recording". At least you will find
people who have cared enough to write about the subject -
and sometimes you can find stuff in there which google does not list
in the first 100 or so.

As Kottke rightly says it was awfully slow and I was on the verge of abandoning
it , but I think performance is OK again.

And as noted - there doesn't seem to be any direct relation between a good
Google rating and a good Technorati rating - but I for one has decided to start
using tags from the new year (in addition to the common sense stuff that Google likes like good headlines and proper urls ie http://www.mysite.com/music/electronic/enotheplayboy (well at least according to Manzanera)).

Google blog search is pretty shit.

Technorati search is slightly better, but still pretty shit.

Search engines are not 'centralisation' in the wider sense.

They are aggregation of data.

They provide an interface to that data, so that you can then go visit the source.

That's not centralisation.

You need to sign up to ping technorati.

So they can list your article soon as it's written.

Blog search contains real-time information.

The freshness is important.

I use technorati search to search for notes on something that just happened.

Gary-Peterson

Is there any way to find something inside this Forum by similar keywords ?

I Can't figure out that Is there any way to find something inside this Bulletin by synonym words instead of exact words.
I searched for synonym words in http://www.google.com and
http://www.lalalalalalalalalalala.com and I found this Bulletin.
However inside the site I could not find any smart search. you should know exact words to find similar topics
any recommendation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary-Peterson

Is there any way to find something inside this Bulletin by synonym words ?

I Can't figure out that How can I find something inside this Board by similar keywords instead of exact words.
I searched for similar keywords in http://www.google.com and
http://www.lalalalalalalalala.com and I found this Board.
but inside the web site I could not find any intelligent search. you must know exact words to find related topics
any recommendation?

Last edited by a moderator: