PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Canvas with The Essentials, Friday 17th February 2006

bun-u
16-12-2005, 12:39 PM
The second Dirty Canvas features South London's The Essentials on Friday 17th February, again at the Whitechapel Gallery.

Big up Woebot for this month's Wire mag review of the first Dirty Canvas with Ruff Sqwad a few weeks ago. See some pics from that night and more details about this one here (http://www.bun-u.blogspot.com)

boomnoise
16-12-2005, 12:45 PM
excellent news! i was a little worried that this wasn't going to happen again. and yes woebot's review in the wire is monumental!

ambrose
19-12-2005, 07:25 PM
oh gosh i have to reach essentials!

bun-u
03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Ok – this is kind of an excuse to bump this up, but also a serious question….

Given I’ll be doing a few of these over 2006, can I have your market research feelers as to which acts I should be inviting over the course of the year?

Diggedy Derek
03-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Big stuff!

boomnoise
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
skepta, jammer and riko. all obvious choices, especially given the fact that both skepta and jammer will have albums out this year. as do wiley and jme, so there''s another two possibles. i would also like to see ears and the meridian crew down.

hmm plasticman and wonder also have albums out so if you could sort something out with them and some mcs that would be great!!!!!

Tyro
04-01-2006, 11:38 AM
How about The Newham Generals? They also have an LP on the way.

bun-u
05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
New Dirty Canvas myspace thingy (http://www.myspace.com/dirtycanvas)

ambrose
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
def gonna reach this i thibnk. might try and get some sheffield types down

bun-u
05-02-2006, 11:24 AM
http://chantellefiddy.blogspot.com/2006/02/next-straight-outta-bethnal.html (Straight Outta Bethnal gets moved to the same night as this!!

BUT... you needn't worry, as Dirty Canvas runs from 7.30 till 11.30 and then you could be hitting the three three three at about the right time (just save up some pennies)

.....or you could go to Heatwave across the road at the Rythmn Factory (jeez we need a Grime nights Committee or summit to, y'know, better coordinate things!)

gdw
07-02-2006, 10:57 AM
we've got doctor and seanie t at heatwave that night...it's stumbling distance from the gallery. some kind of guest list offer is on the way.

gabriel
07-02-2006, 01:36 PM
.....or you could go to Heatwave across the road at the Rythmn Factory (jeez we need a Grime nights Committee or summit to, y'know, better coordinate things!)

yeah i know it's a shame that straight outta bethnal is third friday of the month - exactly the same as heatwave. however, chantelle (fiddy) says that as of march SOB will move to the 4th friday of the month, which is nice as i'll be able to get down there :cool:

ambrose
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
so this is gonna be a long night....im up for the 333 meself. booked my train tickets so im def in for dirty canvas at any rate

looks like eski dance is on the night before in watford!!! if only i was back in my ends i would get down there too

bun-u
13-02-2006, 10:04 AM
News about changes to the line-up on Friday night (http://bun-u.blogspot.com/2006/02/who-you-repppin-for.html)

In summary, you'll be seeing:
Essentials Redux
Purple & the Renegade Boyz
DJ Logan Soma
Open mic pot luck

Diggedy Derek
16-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Bumping this to the top again. I'll definitely be coming down tomorrow. Any other takers?

boomnoise
16-02-2006, 12:07 PM
will be there.

gabriel
16-02-2006, 06:24 PM
we've got doctor and seanie t at heatwave that night...it's stumbling distance from the gallery. some kind of guest list offer is on the way.

here's the offer - email heatwave@scandalbag.com for £5 entry (please mention dissensus to avoid confusion etc - thanks)

definitely heading down to dirty canvas before heatwave anyway...

ambrose
17-02-2006, 12:30 PM
should be there about 9.30

3underscore
17-02-2006, 03:42 PM
I reckon I may be this times random bloke in a suit. I would rather not be, but I have no real chance of doing Canary Wharf (and a beer or two), SW London, Aldgate.

So, err, that'll be me in a pink striped shirt at a grime thing. Nice.

bun-u
17-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I reckon I may be this times random bloke in a suit. I would rather not be, but I have no real chance of doing Canary Wharf (and a beer or two), SW London, Aldgate.

So, err, that'll be me in a pink striped shirt at a grime thing. Nice.

Cool, if it catches on we could make the next one "suits only"

As I said earlier on tthe thread - don't place too much on the original "Essentials" badge for the night (it's getting close to being "The Essential"!)...but it will still be a very good one with the late additions to the line-up

ambrose
17-02-2006, 03:55 PM
i bought a change of clothes to work...maybe i shouldnt bother!

ambrose
19-02-2006, 09:24 PM
this night was HOT

big up bun-u for making it happen and essentials fro getting the crowd to actually, like, respond

Magic Soul2Streets
19-02-2006, 10:55 PM
You can listen to the Renegade Boys performing their forthcoming single Beats and Rhymes recorded live at Dirty Canvas www.myspace.com/dirtycanvas

Thanks to everyone one that reached!

ambrose
21-02-2006, 02:58 PM
were there seriously no other dissensus-ites reppin their ends at this? i assumed that at the least all the geeks at the front dancing away would be from here ;) myself included natch

boomnoise
21-02-2006, 08:38 PM
ambrose - sorry not to have made myself known. i was a geek at the front.

my energy was tapered tho. renegade boys didn't quite cut it for me.

i think the main problem of these night has been that they are so gentrificated that the audience don't really warm up as soon as the artists would like. that's not so much a criticism as a frustration.

ruff squad had impact - renegade boys lacked any kind of chutzpah which left me a bit cold.
i guess it comes down to their bars but purple did himself no favours by leaving the room to mc.

logan's appearance pon decks was barely acknowledged and to the room it seemed that he could have been anyone.

going fwd i think if you can dave, get the bigger names down their and the crowd will be more appreciative..

bun-u
21-02-2006, 09:40 PM
my energy was tapered tho. renegade boys didn't quite cut it for me.

i think the main problem of these night has been that they are so gentrificated that the audience don't really warm up as soon as the artists would like. that's not so much a criticism as a frustration.

ruff squad had impact - renegade boys lacked any kind of chutzpah which left me a bit cold.
i guess it comes down to their bars but purple did himself no favours by leaving the room to mc.

logan's appearance pon decks was barely acknowledged and to the room it seemed that he could have been anyone.

going fwd i think if you can dave, get the bigger names down their and the crowd will be more appreciative..

good to see you down there again boomnoise and fair comment about the night...still honing the product after a couple of goes a sort of self reflective self review here (http://bun-u.blogspot.com/2006/02/dirty-canvas-17th-feb-review-and.html)

the lack of having a whole crew kind of reduced the overall intensity of the night compared to Ruff Sqwad

the audience thing, I think I'm gonna have to accept that the majority of the audience will be ones already familiar with this kind of venue...though I'll keep trying to get more of the traditional grime-heads through the door.

thing is, the artists themselves (Ruff Sqwad, Essentials, Purple and G Double) all commented on how they enjoyed playing to this audience ..."they were all dancing man!"

boomnoise
21-02-2006, 09:54 PM
fair point. there was a whole lot more dancing than most grime tings. which can only be a good thing

ambrose
24-02-2006, 11:01 AM
i thought jendor and nu era handled the fact that it was a "difficult" crowd really well, not getting frustrated like purple/g double seemed to be. they seemed to be actually having fun, and had a good spark between em.

it was fun and cheap, so cheers for putting it on. i loved the sign at the bar saying "special offer: 1998 chardonnay £8" or something ;), and when essentials were like "youve been the best crowd ever!" LOL