Favorite Aphex Twin vinyl release

mikeray

out of touch
If you are an Aphex Twin fan, name your favorite vinyl release. Also name your favorite Analord release (if any).

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
For nostalgic reasons mainly, I'd say Digeridoo. It was one of the first (of many) dance 12"s I purchased, and I still dig it out and play it fairly frequently.

Least favorite would have to be Drukqs, 'cause I rarely play it and it won't fit anywhere except on the top of my record shelves. I reckon he did that deliberately.

Out of interest, why Aphex Twin, and why vinyl in particular?

mikeray

out of touch
because i want to buy some aphex twin vinyl. i was playing some dude's records at a party last weekend. i put on windowlicker and it sounded soo good in a dance party setting. I was going to buy windowlicker on ebay, but then i thought maybe i should get something i have not heard of.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Xylem Tube is good because it has Polynomial C (Phlange Phace too) but I reckon that taken overall it's hard to beat the Joyrex J4 EP.

hint

party record with a siren
Windowlicker is one of the greatest 12"s ever released. You should get that regardless, cos it's easy to find and cheap.

I have no idea about his other stuff.

S

simon silverdollar

Canada J Soup said:
For nostalgic reasons mainly, I'd say Digeridoo.

yeah i'd say didgeridoo as well. that's an unbelievably good track- hairs stand on end just thinking about it.

D84

The only one I have is AFX Hangable Auto Bulb (the first one) and that's a winner.

Hearing Windowlicker on a big system is cool too.

dominic

Beast of Burden
Canada J Soup said:
For nostalgic reasons mainly, I'd say Digeridoo. It was one of the first (of many) dance 12"s I purchased, and I still dig it out and play it fairly frequently.

i'd have to go with the Digeridoo release on R&S UK, not the original

b/c the R&S UK has "Analogue Bubblebath" -- which is the track that i bought it for

the other stuff on the record is too full-on acid-techno for me -- "errr, too teenager-ish" -- "too lumpen" -- that's probably what i thought, as a 20-year-old, when the record got released

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
dominic said:
i'd have to go with the Digeridoo release on R&S UK, not the original

b/c the R&S UK has "Analogue Bubblebath" -- which is the track that i bought it for
I remember the lack of Analogue Bubblebath on my copy causing me great confusion at the time...I hadn't properly caught on to the idea that different dance 12" releases often have different tracks / mixes on them and couldn't for the life of me figure out what John Peel was banging on about. Would have def. been a nice to have, but Digeridoo was what I was buying it for. I'd been into bleep and rave tracks as party music, but was still really more of an indie kid...Digeridoo made my musical focus shift to electronic music.

Last edited:
girl/boy e.p. was one of the first 12" I bought that was any good...I like the strings personally! Damn classical training.

Plus the cover has a picture of the grave of his twin brother, named richard james.

dHarry

Why vinyl releases only?

I bought Selected Ambient Works 85-92 on vinyl as soon as it came out, and brought it back because Heliosphan kept jumping - first I thought it was produced that way inna glitch stylee (given the hype about him being such a genius it seemed possible).

Then I figured it must be a pressing flaw, but subsquent copies continued to jump, so eventually I decided it was the over-loud bass (dodgy mastering by RDJ) and my over-cheap hi-fi failing to cope.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I'm kind of SAW 2 all the way, really...

When he's on he pisses all over his peers, but you notice it when he isn't. Not entirely convinced by much of the Analord stuff, but bits of it keep sneaking up on me.

My pal had a smoke with him the other day (yeah, i know) and he was on about how he told Stockhausen to stop talking bollocks. Evidently he lives the Aphex myth.

D

droid

Xylem Tube, Digeridoo and Quoth clear Vinyl 12". Quite fond of that remix of Baby Fords 'Normal' as well - oh - and the Powerpill 12"... the Curve remix was available on 12" and on that Aphex remixes vinyl LP recently BTW...