Jungle Got Soul mix

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I've done a little mix of sweet soulful 94-era jungle, just cos I wanted to listen to it.

It's pretty much all funky, vocal-led, softcore jungle, not many amens at all. Mainly 94 tunes, and I think most of them are pretty well known, but I like 'em. 47 minutes.

Tracklisting:

Lloydie Crucial: Ribbon In The Sky
Tom & Jerry: Maximum Style
Tom & Jerry: Lover to Lover
Run Tings: Ruff Revival
Firefox & 4-Tree: Warning (Powder Mix)
Greenwood: Hold It Down
Deep Blue: Helicopter Tune
M-Beat: Style
The Brock-Out Crew: Hardcore Romance
M&F: How Many Ways
Da Maytrix: Loverman
DMS & The Boneman X: Sweet Vibrations (Push Up Yr Lighter)
M-Beat: Surrender
Undercover Agent: Oh Gosh!
L Double Featuring Bassman: Da Base Too Dark
Lick Back Organisation: Maniac Music (Lick Back VIP Mix)

Come here to pick it up.

dHarry

Can't believe a track with "Push Up Yr Lighter" in the title was released in 94?!

Looks like a nice mix, D/L-ing right now, cheers.

bassnation

the abyss
dHarry said:
Can't believe a track with "Push Up Yr Lighter" in the title was released in 94?!

why not? sounds of the future "lighter" was out in 1994, there was loads of tunes with that going on.

looks like a cool mix paul, will be downloading later. great to see firefox "warning" on there too, one of my all time favourite jungle tunes.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
dHarry said:
I could be wrong, I just checked 'em on discogs, casual like. Was in two minds about putting it on cos it's so well known but the "sweet vibrations" soul sample (anyone know where it's from?) fits the mood too well to ignore.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
bassnation said:
great to see firefox "warning" on there too, one of my all time favourite jungle tunes.
Tuuuuuunne! That whole section is really nice -- jungle tunes for girls are what we want.

D

droid

:( Cant DL till January - tracklisting looks good though.

2stepfan said:
Tom & Jerry: Maximum Style
Tom & Jerry: Lover to Lover

4 Hero in a ruffneck stylee - thank god you didnt play 'all of my'... its too much.

Run Tings: Ruff Revival

Dirty early subbase if I remember correctly?

Firefox & 4-Tree: Warning (Powder Mix)

I finally figured out what Shabba is asying in the sample in this tune... though Im not sure if the 'warning' vocal sample is from the reggae version or from the cover done by mid 90s 'urban' boy band: Damage

DMS & The Boneman X: Sweet Vibrations (Push Up Yr Lighter)

Is this the one with the 'Original herbsman is here' sample? Is it on Rugged Vinyl?

Undercover Agent: Oh Gosh!

Killer tune... 'Oh Gosh - the music just turns me on'...

Lick Back Organisation: Maniac Music (Lick Back VIP Mix)

Lick Back featured the legendary Jay D'cruze along with a couple of other lads whose names escape me..

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
droid said:
:( Cant DL till January - tracklisting looks good though.
I'll keep it up for you. I like listening to this mix a lot... very groovy, with a techy abstract middle section, lots of dislocated trippiness in and amongst the sweetness.

droid said:
4 Hero in a ruffneck stylee - thank god you didnt play 'all of my'... its too much.
I don't think I have that. I'm addicted to Tom & Jerry tunes though I just bought a load that were a bit experimental and not groovy enough. Irritatingly after finishing this mix I found Air Freshener which would have matched a treat...

droid said:
Dirty early subbase if I remember correctly?
Yeah, Suburban Base, 1994 I think. Big horns-led soul workout with very nicely chopped up breaks

droid said:
I finally figured out what Shabba is asying in the sample in this tune... though Im not sure if the 'warning' vocal sample is from the reggae version or from the cover done by mid 90s 'urban' boy band: Damage
So, what's he saying! Yeah it sounds more like Damage...

droid said:
Is this the one with the 'Original herbsman is here' sample? Is it on Rugged Vinyl?

Yes, bit of an anthem and I thought twice about putting it on but I love the sweet vibrations sample... FX Recordings licensed to Suburban Base I believe.

droid said:
Killer tune... 'Oh Gosh - the music just turns me on'...
Yeah, tempo picks up a bit with that one, a few subtle amens too...

I think I actually prefer the soulful side of jungle to the amen stuff now, though a mix of amentastic wildness is in preparation, as is another funky one.

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
I think I actually prefer the soulful side of jungle to the amen stuff now, though a mix of amentastic wildness is in preparation, as is another funky one.

i like the amen rinse out side of things, but it does get a bit samey and minimal (although not half as dull as tech step, lets be perfectly honest).

but yeah, the soulful jungle - it retains a lot of the wistful melancholy & trippiness of the best hardcore tunes.

i suppose it depends which way you look at it, but its all hardcore to me.

the daddy of this style has to be omni trio - but don't blame you for not including something like renegade snares as its appeared on so many mixes - even superb tunes lose something from constant repetition.

agree with your thoughts about tom & jerry - love the experimental stuff too - reinforced always seemed to get that balance right, didn't they?

D

droid

Dont think there was ever a Tom and Jerry on R though was there? Maybe a remix? All the stuff I have of theirs is on 'Westbury/Shell'.

Quite a few Tom and Jerry's got reissued recently btw... 3 12"s I think. Make sure you track down 'All of my' (on 10") - their best tune IMO...

So you want to know the secret Shabba lyrics eh Meme? ;):

'Me nah Nurse/Me nah Pet/Me nah Dribbler/Me nah Soother/Me nah Powder' ('Fi all the youngsters who a disrepsect the elder)

Dont know where they got that sample. Ive got an original and repress 7" of this, and theyre both super crackly...

bassnation

the abyss
droid said:
'Me nah Nurse/Me nah Pet/Me nah Dribbler/Me nah Soother/Me nah Powder' ('Fi all the youngsters who a disrepsect the elder)

wicked - always wondered what the vocal was saying - so what does it mean?

D

droid

Its an extendd version of the fairly common phrase 'me nah pet nor powder' (as in powdering a babys bum). As I understand it, it basically has two meanings - that the target (in this case young DJ's who diss their elders) are nothing more than children, and that Shabba doesnt pull any punches or coddle them in a clash...

Gido

night tripper
thanks again paul!

i love this stuff..

the soulful ones, it never worked here in holland though.. maybe it was too black? coz strangely enuff, jungle parties always were a 90% white people thing overhere, right from the start!

i used to have a compilation cd, the name escapes me, jungle something volume x whatever, with a great, juicy selection.. they must have aimed it at being sexy/horny.. a few similar tunes to this mix, the singing girls, bits of melody, those half tempo breaks.. plus some fierce ragga stuff thrown in to ruffen it up a bit. great! i used to play it a lot, i works well with a party of people over.

unfortunately the case got crushed, lost the booklet, and i can never find the fucking disc ever since!

anyway. high expectations for your next mix! bring it on..

jenks

thread death
thanks for this - currently ripping it to cd for the car - some long journeys ahead this christmas and i need to keep the moving!