Grace Jones

dominic

Beast of Burden
as an icon she's brilliant, but what do people rate by her???

i have "nightclubbing" album and like it, but can't say that i'd actually play anything off it at a party

have heard and passed on some of her late 70s material

used to have "slave to the rhythm" album, but sold it off b/c overly conceptual and boring

HOWEVER, today i picked up a copy of "sex drive/typical male" -- a record that went #1 on both the us and european dance charts in 1993 -- but which i don't recall having heard at the time -- and i absolutely love this record -- especially "typical male"

so what do people think?

owen

these are aesthetically, musically and in every way essential, one of the great possible futures for pop that somehow didn't coalesce--
nightclubbing.jpg

grace-jones-warm-leatherette.jpg

livingmy.jpg

the trevor horn stuff i don't really know, although i think its generally held up to be as good as the above. there's an essay i wrote (partly) on her relationship to constructivism- if anyone wants a look i might post bits of it up..

bassnation

the abyss
dominic said:
as an icon she's brilliant, but what do people rate by her???

i have "nightclubbing" album and like it, but can't say that i'd actually play anything off it at a party

have heard and passed on some of her late 70s material

used to have "slave to the rhythm" album, but sold it off b/c overly conceptual and boring

HOWEVER, today i picked up a copy of "sex drive/typical male" -- a record that went #1 on both the us and european dance charts in 1993 -- but which i don't recall having heard at the time -- and i absolutely love this record -- especially "typical male"

so what do people think?

my wife is obsessed with grace jones. every time we go out clubbing, on returning home we have to listen to slave to the rhythm followed by herbie hancock and then maybe some talking heads. don't get me wrong, i like all those artists, but they maybe aren't the best choice when your buzzing off your tits.

john eden

male pale and stale
bassnation said:
my wife is obsessed with grace jones. every time we go out clubbing, on returning home we have to listen to slave to the rhythm followed by herbie hancock and then maybe some talking heads. don't get me wrong, i like all those artists, but they maybe aren't the best choice when your buzzing off your tits.

Have you tried pitching it up and doing ragga chat over the top? It's Paul Meme's solution for everything... ;)

notoriousJ.I.M

D84 said:
One of my most favourite songs ever is Private Life.

It's a great version, but that link credits the lyrics to Grace Jones when it was written by Chrissie Hynde. Most of that LP is cover versions actually. It's some of Sly and Robbie's best work imo.

D84

notoriousJ.I.M said:
It's a great version, but that link credits the lyrics to Grace Jones when it was written by Chrissie Hynde. Most of that LP is cover versions actually. It's some of Sly and Robbie's best work imo.

I should've googled a better transcription: I now notice that they call her Grace Johns...

Leo

"pull up to the bumper" is one of the all-time sexiest songs, imho. it just oozes bump'n grind, both musically and lyrically. "nipple to the bottle" and "my jamaican guy" from the "living my life" album are also very cool, as is the cover of bill withers' "use me." at least a half-dozen great singles overall.

spencerchow

"Soon (Todd Edwards mix)"
"Libertango" is classic "lounge" soundtrack, especially early in the evening, filled as it is with mysterious portendings. The lyrics obviously make it great for arrivals.

joeschmo

Just get The Compass Point Sessions. All her stuff with the Sly & Robbie band, including the dubs. Awesome.

blunt

shot by both sides
Totally agree with pretty much anything positive said above. And her version of "La Vie En Rose" always slays me (in a good way).

ladyboygrimsby

There's also another track from her late (and largley rubbish) period: Love On Top Of Love. Really great C&C Music Factory mix, featuring an extended and very breathy intro from Miss Jones.

jenks

thread death
this thread made me go and dig out this island life - a christmas present from 1984

the house has been pulsing to grace all pm

what a cover version of love is the drug.

got to be one of the finest compilations of an artist's work - no fat there whatsoever

shame vie en rose is scratched beyond all measure though :eek:

PeteUM

It's all grist
First read this thread in its infancy (two posts) and thought "Ooh, I'll give the board the benefit of my wisdom here". Now I eventually return to find it's all been said pretty much as I might have done. Glad we're all agreed on the subject of Miss GJ.

dHarry

she's back!

New single/video Corporate Cannibal:

"I'll consume my consumers/with no sense of humour" - she's playing some kind of man-eating vampire/capitalism dual role here to thrilling, creepy effect; fantastic video fx that warp her into the post-human mutant she always was :cool:

Ivan Conte

Wild Horses
I quite like the concept but the music I find uninteresting... it's like some decaff version of Massive Attack circa "Mezzanine".

She was great when she teamed up with Sly & Robbie, though.