woebot's 100 greatest records ever

anhhh

nothing great to comment the list here (instead of his comments box) , but anyway, seems like the board is near to death:

http://www.woebot.com/2005/12/part_one.html (it's up now in the main page anyway)

trying to quit aside the "no sclub7 lps there!!" type comments, i was wondering about some of the selections, that seems near to "more pleasurable records" or "jewels lost in time", than anything else (just for an example, my bloody valentine, "loveless" it's a great record et al, but seems ages since the last time i played it, the single selected instead, probably sounds out of time, just like the first time you played it, maintaining that excitment...)

but i don't know... hope we'll see mr. ingram here talking a bit more about the selection...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
The amount of effort put into this is scary. All your own pictures, huh?

Loving the amount of 12" singles there. My favorite format.

And even if trying to avoid being comprehensive for the sake of it, what isn't represented here?

So what about Trip to the Moon Part III? It's my favorite part because it's less reliant on samples and has the best pianos in all of ardkore. I just noticed that in the lower left corner it says "part of a special 2 part set". Didn't know they came packaged together.

I am also mystified by "Art Techno. The End therof" with respect to "The Beginning". What about all those UK "Detroit" producers? Your B12's, Kirk DeGiorgio's etc.

Last edited:
subvert47 said:
I have 29 of them

including The Modern Dance of course

:D

I use and endorse 33 of them, and probably about 5 would've made it into my own list, if I ever had the strength and courage to attempt such a thing, which is a pretty good strike-rate I guess.

But Matt, where was 'Music Von Harmonia'?!

john eden

male pale and stale
Logos said:
Nice to see Six Pianos in there for Reich, which I think is his greatest moment.

Nice to see huge amounts of things I've never even heard of in there! Shout out to the making a list, checking it twice posse!

I've got 11 of them and they are all ace. Especially good to see the MBV choice - I only heard Loveless recently but a mate had that 12" when it came out and I just like that better...

A "keeper", that list. Wicked.

owen

marvellous stuff, like the subjectivism of the choices.
the comments are nice too- the line about billy mackenzie being a 'deconstructive' singer is perfect. good work, o great helmsman (heheheh)

nunc

∞
wow, loads of stuff there i think i'd like (gotta avoid 'need' lest i slip into feverish slsking)
can anyone suggest a sort of primer for stuff like the acen 'trip to the moon' track?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Worth it for the production credits on the Egyptian Lover record alone. :)

085.jpg

Woebot

thanks kids.

redcrescent said:
I love lists. But hold on, wasn't Metallica's Ride the Lightning #100 just days ago?

lol. well spotted. posting it was a total fucker. movabletype completely melted down, one of the reasons it's in five parts. for some reason a comma and semi colon in the entries for riot in lagos, gyuto monks and the milton nascimento caused some monmental glitch and i had to comb through the whole entry bit by bit.

also i nearly missed the plane to glasgow (quite literally by 20-30 seconds in writing it) and had to get my keyholding service to enter the house, start up my computer and upload it via ftp for me to dl it and keep working on it in glasgow (crazy i know, but otherwise id be turning it over in my head through the whole vac).

blissbloggers comments re:roxy/stooges -vs- position normal have caused me to hum and hah (especially for your pleasure, k-punk will certainly slaughter me....)

but these lists, though one cleaves to them with a passion, it's unavoidable that they're subjective.

Woebot

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
But Matt, where was 'Music Von Harmonia'?!

well i like, (off the top of my head), dino and ohrworm, but as for the LP it's a two-tracker isn't it???

i'd be interested to see you do one of these nick. it's a meaty challenge, and it does lay one bare somewhat, but......

WOEBOT said:
i'd be interested to see you do one of these nick. it's a meaty challenge, and it does lay one bare somewhat, but......

A bit too meaty for me right now...but if I did it'd be along purely subjective lines too. It'd put me in a quandry though... I mean, 'Tubular Bells' had an absolutely massive impact on me when I was about 7, and I'm sure it's coloured the way I listen to music ever since...so in theory it's one of the biggest records in my life...but I'd never listen to the fucker now on general principle. Do I put it in the list, or what? Too difficult for me to call.. :confused:

notoriousJ.I.M

Ness Rowlah said:
Les Vampyrettes (Czukay/Plank)/"Biomutanten" - previously known as
ended up as number 66.

Not ashamed to admit I only own around 20% of it. Good Associates choice.
Have you put them all in one asbestos crate now then Woe?

That Kraut top 10 still frustrates me as I wanted to track down most of them after reading it and still haven't managed to. I'm sure that Woebot's influence will render most this list collectable too (and thus harder to obtain) in the not very distant future! :mad: ;)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
I use and endorse 33 of them, and probably about 5 would've made it into my own list, if I ever had the strength and courage to attempt such a thing
Strange, I've been working on my own 100 list for some time now, just for my own entertainment. As it looks right now, my list have three of the same records as Matts. Almost four, though, as it includes Sakamotos B2 unit-album, having Riot in Lagos on it. I own 25 of Matts 100 (not including the Led Zeppelin one, which I think I have somewhere, but never ever listen to, and don't really consider a part of my collection at all), plus some of the single tracks on compilations.

Modern Dance as the very best... that's totally all right with me. I mean, I wouldn't have it that high, but it's definitely a worthy number one.

Last edited: