ipod/mp3 earbuds health risk

3underscore

Buick - that article is nonsense!

(2nd Paragraph of the article) "No-one really knows for sure" the levels at which iPod users listen to music, but "what we do know is that young people like their music loud and seldom worry about any decline in hearing ability,"

So, second paragraph they are saying that the article subject is just conjecture! The idea that listening to something loud pushed in your ear for a length of time may result in damaged hearing?! Really? Do you think so?!?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sure that article's a classic little alarmist story, but it's only conjecture regarding how loud people are listening, not regarding whether "earbuds" are worse / more dangerous for listening on the go than more trad headphones.

I thought from day one it was a nasty design choice in the iPod.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Half of the music leaks out of those effin cheap earphones.
Nothing to do with cones or not - it's just a crappy leaky design
(half of the headphones are out of the ear for chrisake, seem like they
fall out all the time as well cause you see people putting them back in every two minutes.
even worse: MP3 mobile phones with Nokia "headphones")
- and the fact that people are listening on trains that force the volume even further up.

Invest in a decent pair of Etymotics/Shures or similar and you can listen
with the volume set to a reasonable level and save your hearing
(those are in-ears as well - just BETTER. I don't like traveling with cans - they are
just too big).

Last edited:

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
hearing

free rnid telephone hearing test on 0845 600 5555

ive got terrible tinnitus, but apparently hearing within the normal range. phew.

check it.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
just got mine tested after years of worrying. amazingly, despite 12 years of rock bands and DJing my hearing is apparently really good! the audiologist said she was frankly amazed.

nevertheless, i've now got a pair of molded silicon earplugs which i wear whenever i'm out. honestly, things sound better and you can chat with people in the club and hear things more easily.

i've got tinnitus as well, but only when it's particularly quiet. tinnitus can be caused by all sorts of things however including alcohol (guilty), caffeine (guilty), sodium (guilty) and high blood pressure.

if anyone out there has tinnitus that is bothering them, acupuncture can really help. i have a few friends who've had great success in reducing it that way, although they say it's best if you go early on.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
oh, and the article is complete rubbish by the way.

firstly, as they acknowledge, this is hardly news. 'loud noise causes hearing damage' is basically all we're getting here, updated for the newest consumer fad as if it's different in any way.

secondly, the only difference they cite is that the battery life and storage capacity of the iPod encourage longer listening periods. honestly, are battery life and storage capacity really what determine how long people listen to music for? what about how long their bus ride is? don't people with walkmans simply bring a second CD with them?