PDA

View Full Version : Oyster (for Londoners..)

tryptych
30-12-2005, 10:49 PM
(For those of you who don't know, Oyster is a card based system on the London transport network, where you charge up your card with pre-pay or season ticket and its deducted automatically as you travel)

The Oyster system has only really impacted on my life recently, since I've only just started spending more time in London again after a couple of years away.

What do people think of it? Useful time-and-money saving technology, or worrying extension of monitoring and control?

Here's my views:

Pros:

1) Saves money - granted, its only 20p or something on an underground single.
2)Less hassle - so long as you charge up your card, you never have to worry about getting a ticket, and solves the common problem of "do i buy a travel card or a single" when you're not sure what the rest of the day/night holds in store for you. Now you just merrily go through the barriers, safe in the knowledge that the cheapest ticket(s) will be deducted from your card (although see cons below...)

Cons:
1) Who's watching? - as I understand it, your oyster card keeps a record of every journey you make. Who has access to this information? What might it be used for?

2) Alleged "price capping" - Oyster is supposed never to charge you more than the cost of a travelcard for the zones you travel in. I'm not to happy about trusting this to the system, however. Often when I come to charge up my Oyster I think that I might have been over charged on my last journey - but since it's never more than a quid, I usually don't think to much about it. It's just this insidious kind of error that troubles me.

On the other end, my girlfriend recently went to charge up her Oyster at a window in a tube station, and when she did, she was told that she had been undercharged on her last journey, and would have to pay an extra 40p. Doesn't seem like a lot, but what the fuck? Isn't the whole point that it should work out the correct fares itself? She couldnt really dispute the charge - without keeping a detalied record of your journeys, who could, and even if she had I imagine she would've been told that the infallible computer system was in the right, and she was in the wrong.

3) Regimented timings etc - one day travelcards are valid up til 4.30am the next morning on the night bus. It used to be the case that you could jump on the night bus usually quite a bit after 4.30, wave your travelcard and get on no trouble. Now, after 4.30 precisely, you get charged another £1 or whatever it is. One unfortunate extra from having a machine in charge of the ticketing rather than the driver.

Basically, I'm somewhat suspicious of the whole system, as I think one should be when asked to place one's trust in a computer controlled network such as this. Am I too paranoid?

Ness Rowlah
31-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Cons:
1) Who's watching? - as I understand it, your oyster card keeps a record of every journey you make. Who has access to this information? What might it be used for?
Am I too paranoid?

No. Orwell knew his stuff. If BigBrother is to happen it will be here.
Consider the evidence

- Oyster cards
- automatic number registration on cars (but I guess all cars will be fitted with tracking devices for "a fairer road tax" within 20 years)
- ID cards/passports - will be fitted with RFIDs which can track all your movements all the time. Said to be a voluntary scheme. Another terrorist attack with 10+ people killed and ID cards with RFIDs (small tracking chips) will be enforced to "protect us all" (never mind that 4000 people get killed in traffic every year)
- Baby-ASBOs - ie get the "criminals" before they are criminals, profile and victimise them before they even start school
- "literacy" and "social skills" testing in kindergarten
- all children to be given ID-numbers (since you cannot currently force ID-cards to non-adults. One more tragedy like the Bulger-killing and ID cards with RFIDs will be forced on kids as well)
- the laws on "correct thinking" seeping through - ie no demonstrations near parliament, no making jokes about religion or causing offence to anyone
- the highest density of CCTV anywhere on the planet
- the general state of "sleepwalking" of the British public ("I've got nothing to hide")
- the tabloids
- 20060104: bins are microchipped in South Norfolk "to identify residents who are not recycling"
- 20060104: divorced dads not paying up to be electronically tagged
- 20060105: Police DNA database holds 37% of black men (Guardian)
- 20060105: new satelittes to roam over Britain with 1m resolution
- 20060105: suggestion to tag motorcycles going into London ("tag and beacon", Evening Standard)
- 20060108: Shoreditch "ASBO-TV" (ie spy on your neighbour or partner), watch the CCTV on your TV (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1974974,00.html)
- 20060109 but it takes 18 months to get to know who Tony dines with (http://www.guardian.co.uk/freedom/Story/0,2763,1386313,00.html)
- 20060109: DNA of 750 000 juveniles stored, DNA database to hold 4.2 mil people (http://tinyurl.com/b6gb7)
- 20060115: a quarter of the worlds CCTV is in the uk (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1052-1987493,00.html)
- 20060120: MPs to be phone tapped (Indie) (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article338692.ece)
- 20060121: Police to file all offences for 100 years.

-20060122: No police state yet, but we are heading there (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1692144,00.html). Henry Porter in The Guardian summarizing some of all this quite neatly

- ID cards now defeated in The Lords, but
- 20060124: Tony want's to bypass the courts (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,200-2002897,00.html) and and foreign lawyers worried (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,200-2002899,00.html)
-20060124: heading towards Minority Report (David Rowan) (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1072-2006482,00.html). Hacks should be worried as well - what will happen to protection of sources in the Brave New World?
- 20060124: "100 new speed cameras on the streets" (470 total in London) according to the Evening Standard
- 20060124: "Domestic passengers could be put under surveillance". Flight and ferry passengers that is, all of them. Evening Standard again.

This is just from the top of my head - the list is longer.

One small observation: Grayson Perry wrote a piece in The Times a while ago on
the lack of new orginals and people dressing in an outrageous way -
where have they all gone?
If Tony and the boys have his ways the great British Eccentric will be gone (or locked
up - as a free-thinker or because she was profiled as a "95% chance of being a criminal" as a kid) by the end of the 21st Century.

If you don't trust the government and if it does not make too much difference -
get a Zone 1-6 travelcard (paper) and buy it from one of the
train stations outside London (but within the Zones) and pay in cash.

It's easy to predict looking at current affairs that you cannot be "too paranoid" -
what's impressive is that Orwell, Huxley , Block etc did see this so clearly 40-60 years ago.

The irony is of course that Britain and the US are pushing for "freedom" around
the world while building up regimes (by technology and stealth, not by people
keeping a watch on their closest) soon worthy of North Korea and East Germany
to keep a close watch on its own citizens.

3underscore
31-12-2005, 08:17 PM
On the other end, my girlfriend recently went to charge up her Oyster at a window in a tube station, and when she did, she was told that she had been undercharged on her last journey, and would have to pay an extra 40p. Doesn't seem like a lot, but what the fuck? Isn't the whole point that it should work out the correct fares itself? She couldnt really dispute the charge - without keeping a detalied record of your journeys, who could, and even if she had I imagine she would've been told that the infallible computer system was in the right, and she was in the wrong.

What happens is that it allows you a journey if you have some credit (say £1), though the fare may be £1.80. As a result, your oyster is 80p in debt. It won't let you travel until you sort this out (even if you have a zone 1+2 travelcard and are in zone 1 or 2), which can suck a little. Especially in rush hour.

My annoyance is that you can't use prepay at mainline only stations (like where I live). That was a pain till I moved here, as I ran a combination of paper tix and an oyster when looking.

Rambler
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
My annoyance is that you can't use prepay at mainline only stations (like where I live). That was a pain till I moved here, as I ran a combination of paper tix and an oyster when looking.

I hate that - every time I travel to SE London I have to remember to buy a paper Travelcard first or get screwed by Connex.

I've not yet had a problem with being overcharged for pre-pay - I don't keep that close accounts, but it always seems to come out as I'd expect it too. And on the several occasions when I've forgotten to beep in or out of a station, and got that 'unfinished journey detected, please see a member of staff' message they've just cancelled the journey rather than add anything on, so it's actually saved me a bit of money there.

Oh, and if you're worried about BB following your tube journeys, just buy a pre-pay Oyster and don't register. They can still follow your card around, but they've got no way of knowing it's you using it.

Tactics
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
nothing really more to say. I like to call it the Devil's Pearls lol.

It's funny cos didn't Bob Crow (ex-head of TFL I think) used to work for the CIA?

john eden
12-01-2006, 01:21 PM
It's funny cos didn't Bob Crow (ex-head of TFL I think) used to work for the CIA?

Bob Crow is the (ex?) General Secretary of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers.

So, no. Unless you know otherwise?

matt b
12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
tactics, you mean bob kiley, and yes.

3underscore
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Bob Kiley's interests have been more surrounding the unviability of Public Private Partnerships for Rail and the Underground (mostly), based on his history of working on similar across the world.

Any theory of his being involved in Oyster (and even better the CIA touches you can embelish) I would guess is tin-foil hat territory.

Tactics
13-01-2006, 10:41 AM
what question marks are for....

Bob Kiley's interests have been more surrounding the unviability of Public Private Partnerships for Rail and the Underground (mostly), based on his history of working on similar across the world.

Any theory of his being involved in Oyster (and even better the CIA touches you can embelish) I would guess is tin-foil hat territory.

tin-foil hat territory? if this is sarcasm I don't get it lol. I jus remembered someone involved within TFL worked for or with the CIA.

I jus remembered...anyone who wants a paper monthly or seasonal travelcard can still go to overhead stations and get one.

John I jus remembered it so decided to throw it out there, nothing else. I even got the person wrong!

Can someone explain the tin foil hat thing though?

bassnation
13-01-2006, 11:33 AM

from the TFL site:
"Bob Kiley was appointed Commissioner in 2001, having previously served as chairman and CEO of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in New York. Prior to this, he was chairman and CEO of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in Boston, where he also served as the city's deputy mayor. He began his career at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and worked as executive assistant to its director. "

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/chief_officers.asp

3underscore
13-01-2006, 11:35 AM
tin-foil hat territory? if this is sarcasm I don't get it lol. I jus remembered someone involved within TFL worked for or with the CIA.

In a chat about Oyster, someone raises it can track your journey. Someone else points out someone for TFL is ex-CIA. The whole suggestion is that there is something wholly unsavoury devised out of the scheme, which I would be confident there is not.

I don't mind the odd conspiracy theory, but the way some are cobbled together through the internet is annoying. The whole spurious link thing is exactly that.

john eden
13-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Why do you think this is relevant to a discussion about Oyster cards, Tactics?

matt b
13-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Why do you think this is relevant to a discussion about Oyster cards, Tactics?

with the whole underground thing, kiley was considereda good guy by many- he had successfully been involved in the NY subway and was against the underground PPP, despite political pressure. CIA stuff irrelevant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4417235.stm

3underscore
13-01-2006, 01:03 PM
from the TFL site:
"Bob Kiley was appointed Commissioner in 2001, having previously served as chairman and CEO of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in New York. Prior to this, he was chairman and CEO of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in Boston, where he also served as the city's deputy mayor. He began his career at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and worked as executive assistant to its director. "

I am not desputing he worked there. I am disputing that it means anything.

He worked as a PA. He probably never was involved in Oyster, and probably knows very little about the CIA. It is just stupid conjecture to try and make anything out of this. Jeez - look at anyone's CV and you could probably make a spurious story of conspiracy out of it.

What am I saying? He worked at the CIA for his first job in his career. Therefore, he is obviously a plant in the TFL by them so he could devise a system to track YOUR movements around London. In fact, see that car across the road? hasn't that been there a few days? That's Bob Kiley's people WATCHING YOU.

Tactics
13-01-2006, 02:05 PM

He worked as a PA. He probably never was involved in Oyster, and probably knows very little about the CIA. It is just stupid conjecture to try and make anything out of this. Jeez - look at anyone's CV and you could probably make a spurious story of conspiracy out of it.

What am I saying? He worked at the CIA for his first job in his career. Therefore, he is obviously a plant in the TFL by them so he could devise a system to track YOUR movements around London. In fact, see that car across the road? hasn't that been there a few days? That's Bob Kiley's people WATCHING YOU.

this guys cracking me up by getting irate and that. I feel kinda bad for mentioning it now. "I was only saying!" (c) my lil' sister.

bassnation
13-01-2006, 02:07 PM

lol

luckily i don't use an oyster - so i'm safe - for now ;)

john eden
13-01-2006, 03:21 PM
this guys cracking me up by getting irate and that. I feel kinda bad for mentioning it now. "I was only saying!" (c) my lil' sister.

Apparently Bob Kiley likes scrambled egg on toast for breakfast as well. Spooky or what?

On the whole surveillance thing, people have missed the fucking boat a bit, haven't they? Or did I imagine all that CCTV going up in stations across London? My suspicion is that if people want to find out where you go, then they can - whether you use a private car, oyster card or magic carpet.

What are we all doing that's so subversive it must be shielded from the state anyway? Naff all - going to work, going out drinking, buying records. Whoo.

What's next?

Nectar cards identified as being the mark of the beast which everyone has to trade with as the end times approach as stated in the book of revelations?

Webcams - they are really used by the illuminati to spy on YOU.

Blogger - it's owned by Mossad.

Ness Rowlah
14-01-2006, 02:25 AM
My concern is not right here, right now.
Right now all this is probably tinfoil-territory
(and while we are at it: let's add supermarket surveillance
with facial recognition software to track your shopping,
a police chief that interfers with policy, body scanners on the tube).
Are we more secure with all this stuff?

If we are - against whom?

My concern is that Britain step by step, day by day is
putting in a technological infrastructure (and laws) expanding
like nowhere else on the planet - with close to no opposition.
This infrastructure might not be used for 10 years, for 20 or
even for 50 years. It might never be used.

But given the right political and social circumstances this kit
can be used to monitor and hold down a whole population.

Or a religious or other "potentially dangerous" group.

If you combine ID cards with RFIDs (200 meter range)
and place discrete RFID readers near mosques (or say at The Den)
would you say that it is right?
That it is tinfoil stuff and will never happen?

Tinfoil or no tinfoil - Britain is heading towards the full time surveillance
society and I don't think it's a good thing.

Rambler
16-01-2006, 12:43 PM
I agree Ness - I've just taken a domestic flight from London to Newcastle and back, for which I was required to have my photo taken 'for security purposes', stored on computer and given a unique identifier corresponding to my flight number, passport (yes, for a domestic flight), etc. Current British law is that this information must be destroyed after 24 hours - and I don't doubt that it will be - but there will be a future home secretary licking his lips at acquiring that sort of information. And it won't take a huge change in the law to make that data longer-lasting (or even permanent).

This is the scary thing about the increased surveillance/data gathering state of the UK: our current masters may well be nice and benign, but the physical and legal infrastructure is now there for a future potential tyrant to exploit, and it will be too late then.

john eden
16-01-2006, 01:13 PM
There is no doubt that data collection is on the up, and there is no doubt that this will be used by the state to spy on people.

I agree that this is Not A Good Thing. I support people who are involved with monitoring or campaigning against this stuff, like Defy ID (http://www.defy-id.org.uk/index.htm) and Liberty.

However, I can think of several things which are higher up my list of priorities to fight against right now - and that's as well as having a job/family/social life etc. Unless one is purely interested in discussing or reading about these things, choices have to be made.

The gradual decent into an orwellian dystopia has been mooted ever since I got involved with sub-cultural/radical/"alternative" politics in the mid-80s.

sufi
19-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Detectives also released an image taken the next morning of a black man in a "pork-pie" hat trying to use the solicitor's Oyster card. It is not known if he was involved in the killing.This was an Evening Stan Billboard headline... (http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/PA_NEWA17083121137621553A0?source=PA%20Feed)
I wonder whether this type of activity is authorised somehwere in the small print of the Oyster application. Obviously tracking down murderers is a worthy mission, but i'd not really be surprised if this tragic case was used to set a precedent of using oyster as a tracking device.

HMGovt
19-01-2006, 05:00 PM
This was an Evening Stan Billboard headline... (http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/PA_NEWA17083121137621553A0?source=PA%20Feed)
I wonder whether this type of activity is authorised somehwere in the small print of the Oyster application. Obviously tracking down murderers is a worthy mission, but i'd not really be surprised if this tragic case was used to set a precedent of using oyster as a tracking device.

I assume the Met called LU once they realised the poor fella had been robbed of his valuables, they searched their database for his (quite unusual surname) in minutes and set up some kind of alert. So not tracking really, it was snaring.

Ness Rowlah
21-01-2006, 02:41 AM
here we go - the first step towards everyone having to carry
an ID-card (all fitted with RFIDs tracking you to the nearest 200m)
all the time (24 hours a day).
There will be more of these small drops of "have to be made compulsury"
over the next few months and then Tony and his cronies
(House of Lords gradually filling up with those who paid their way in)
will point to the overwhelming "evidence" of this need
(no doubt backed by The Sun and all).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4633822.stm

The Lord Chancellor has said ID cards should be made compulsory if introduced in the UK.

Lord Falconer told the BBC that the only way to get full benefit from the scheme was for people without a passport to carry one.

Prime Minister Tony Blair has said the government backs ID cards and fears over civil liberties are "misplaced".

and here we go some more - convictions to stay on file for 100 years (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002685,00.html)

“We already now have powers to retain DNA and fingerprints that can be taken from everyone arrested for a recordable offence and then detained at a police station, for life. This has brought huge benefits. The old ‘weeding-out’ regime conflicted with these powers.”

Now combine any "recordable offence" with Tony's wish for "justice on the spot" and for new offences (like "thought crime" on terrorism and religion) and soon you will have a huge proportion of the population on the British Isles DNA-fingerprinted.
Later all newborns will be DNA fingerprinted at birth ("for their own and society's best", "to prevent illness", "to look for anti-social behaviour at an early stage").

This is the ultimate aim of the police and the security forces - every citizen DNA-fingerprinted at birth, carrying her 24x7 trackable ID-card with her and society under constant video surveillance. A crimeless society.

What could possibly be wrong with this?

Rambler
23-01-2006, 09:35 AM
And in the very same week, this happens: ID fraudsters plunge tax system into chaos (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1991229,00.html)

Ness Rowlah
26-01-2006, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the ID-card scheme would be run from the India ("to save money for the public" - who funded the cards in the first place). So much for "data protection". As I asked myself in a blog post last year - what if the ID card database is hacked or stolen?

How do you then give a new identity to a whole nation of 60m people?
Will "notables" be excluded from the database? Remember a whole host of bodies will be able to use the register once in place.

I am actually not against ID cards in itself. What am hugely against is the amount of data they will hold and the fact that they are fitted with RFIDs and the cluster of laws and technologies being pushed to limit our freedom of speech and movement without being monitored (watch out for those plastic rocks on the pavement ;) ).

So cheers for the House of Lords. For now at least - but slowly filling up with those who oils the Labour party.

20060128: More for Tony's new conservatives: "naming and shaming" is on the up. Not just the latest not-so-liberal democrate, but 29 kerb crawlers done for today. More to come - and expect this practice to be extended to all sorts of crime (cause it will no doubt be a "great success" - surely name&shame websites is the next step?). And finally a tiny little piece on RFIDs in The Times today (hidden away with them called "radio transmitters").

Ness Rowlah
30-01-2006, 02:24 PM
20060130: dutch biometric passports cracked from 10 meters away (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/dutch_biometric_passport_crack/) (the register)

As the programme reports here, the passport was read remotely and then the security cracked using flaws built into the system, whereupon all of the biometric data could be read.

The crack is attributed to Delft smartcard security specialist Riscure, which here explains that an attack can be executed from around 10 metres and the security broken, revealing date of birth, facial image and fingerprint, in around two hours. Riscure notes that that the speed of the crack is aided by the Dutch passport numbering scheme being sequential.

sufi
31-01-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah i heard about an RFID flasher gadget (http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/wiki/RFID-Zapper(EN)) - which you can build by modifying a regular camera flash - will delete any RFID within a certain distance,
obv that's not the same as a hack to read the data, but what we need is the hack to charge up our oysters at home by mobile phone innit? :cool:

Ness Rowlah
05-02-2006, 04:39 AM
20060203: Hugely inflated ID-theft numbers from Government (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17129-2022675,00.html) (Times and most other media).

Ministers included in their total the figure of £395 million as the annual cost of money laundering alone. But the Home Office admits that this figure is only “for illustrative purposes” and that “no figures are currently available on the proportion of money laundering that relies on identity fraud”.

Furthermore, the Government claims that Apacs puts the cost of ID fraud linked to plastic cards at £504 million a year. But a spokeswoman for Apacs said that the real figure was less than £37 million. “The £504 million is the total losses for plastic cards. It is not just identity fraud on cards,” she said. “Within that overall figure there will be some cards stolen in the post, some skimmed or cloned, some lost or stolen.”

and on the passport crack (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17129-2022676,00.html)

However, Nicko van Someren, chief technology officer at the security firm nCipher, said: “There is clear evidence that ID cards will open new channels for ID theft even where radio skimming is not possible, because cards that are scanned using an optical reader rather than a radio signal could potentially also have information lifted from them by unscrupulous people.

“A bank worker, for example, or a nightclub bouncer scanning your card to check you are over 18 could get your home address. How many women would want that?”

Hang around for more spin from your Government.

Ness Rowlah
13-02-2006, 11:11 AM
US workers have RFIDs inserted in their biceps (http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/us-employees-verichipped.html)

hackable and chips that can be cloned that is. These things will go into the ID-cards being debated tonight. ID theft might become easier than ever if the ID cards bill go through tonight.

ambrose
13-02-2006, 02:09 PM
if oystercard data is being used by TfL thwen it will be used to track trip data - assess popularity of routes, demand for services and this can be used to assess things that hinge on patronage for example - eg is increasing bus frequency on this service justified?

as for numberplate recognition, well for starters trafficmaster are already reading yr numberplates - you see those blue posts with what look like CCTV on along a-roads/motorways? thats trafficmasters network, which tracks vehicle speeds to assess congestion levels.

rewch
13-02-2006, 04:41 PM
US workers have RFIDs inserted in their biceps (http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/us-employees-verichipped.html)

hackable and chips that can be cloned that is. These things will go into the ID-cards being debated tonight. ID theft might become easier than ever if the ID cards bill go through tonight.

that story is very disturbing... especially the comments about revelations... thank you for the link though...

mms
13-02-2006, 10:12 PM
that story is very disturbing... especially the comments about revelations... thank you for the link though...

my mate rekons he can replicate the tech on an oyster card, he just needs peopleto go in on the gear need to do it with him.

on the other hand i won't buy one of these cards out of principal that i don't care for anyone i don't know to know my weareabouts more then they need to cos it's not their business.

my g/f got a letter from the debt collecting people the other day - to this address,wrong postcode (first fault)
it said she owed them money for a trip to hitchen on the 6th of jan where she didn't check in her oyster card.(a place she's never been)
Any attempts to contact them by phone lead to an answering machine,(they''ve never called her back about any message she's left) or end up just automatically ringing off .
some strange hell that.

Ness Rowlah
14-02-2006, 11:21 AM
so within a few years we will all be (passively) radio tracked by being forced to get and carry ID cards. ID cards which will probably enable our IDs to
be stolen out of thin air. The hackers are already on the case -
http://cq.cx/proxmarkii.pl

As far as I know, it is not possible to buy a device like the one that I have described above, and an instrument like this is practically essential for anyone experimenting with the latest generation of transponders. If anyone is interested in doing low-level work with RFID tags, then you could presumably save some time by starting with the platform that I have built. I do have many extra bare boards. At some point I intend to freely distribute the schematics, layout, and software, but there is a lot that must first be cleaned up. I will see.

As an example of the capabilities of this device, I go through the steps involved in cloning a Verichip. This is the same sort of process that would be required to clone any kind of ID-only tag. For a bidirectional (e.g multipage or anticollision) tag, the process would be similar but more complex.

Woebot
15-02-2006, 09:59 AM
oyster rocks

Rambler
15-02-2006, 11:40 AM
my g/f got a letter from the debt collecting people the other day - to this address,wrong postcode (first fault)
it said she owed them money for a trip to hitchen on the 6th of jan where she didn't check in her oyster card.(a place she's never been)
Any attempts to contact them by phone lead to an answering machine,(they''ve never called her back about any message she's left) or end up just automatically ringing off .
some strange hell that.

That just sounds like a scam to me, nothing to do with London Underground.

mms
15-02-2006, 11:41 AM
oyster rocks

pearls? :)

mms
15-02-2006, 05:55 PM
That just sounds like a scam to me, nothing to do with London Underground.

nah it's genuine for sure

Omaar
16-02-2006, 10:55 AM
SAN JOSE — A well known cryptographer has applied power analysis techniques to crack passwords for the most popular brand of RFID tags.

Adi Shamir, professor of computer science at the Weizmann Institute, reported his work in a high-profile panel discussion at the RSA Conference here. Separately, Ron Rivest, who co-developed the RSA algorithms with Shamir, used the stage of the annual panel to call for an industry effort to create a next-generation hashing algorithm to replace today’s SHA-1.

In recent weeks, Shamir used a directional antenna and digital oscilloscope to monitor power use by RFID tags while they were being read. Patterns in power use could be analyzed to determine when the tag received correct and incorrect password bits, he said.

"The reflected signals contain a lot of information," Shamir said. "We can see the point where the chip is unhappy if a wrong bit is sent and consumes more power from the environment…to write a note to RAM that it has received a bad bit and to ignore the rest of the string," he added.

"I haven’t tested all RFID tags, but we did test the biggest brand and it is totally unprotected," Shamir said. Using this approach, "a cellphone has all the ingredients you need to conduct an attack and compromise all the RFID tags in the vicinity," he added.

Full Article (http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180201688)

tryptych
14-03-2006, 12:16 AM
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1730002,00.html

"Police hunting criminals are increasingly seeking information from electronically stored travel records, such as those created by users of the popular Oyster card in London.
Figures disclosed today show a huge leap in police requests to Transport for London, which operates the Oyster cards used to travel on buses, trains and the underground.

Just seven information requests were made by police in the whole of 2004, compared with 61 requests made in January this year alone.

Overall, police have requested to see journey information 243 times, and been given it 229 times, according to figures obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request, the Press Association reported."

Ness Rowlah
14-03-2006, 02:03 PM
and there's crime cameras used to catch traffic offenders (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2081699,00.html)

CCTV cameras designed to prevent robbery and other street crime are being used to penalise drivers who commit minor traffic offences.

Motorists have been handed £100 fines after being caught on film double parking, making illegal U-turns or driving through no-entry signs.

One CCTV camera in a residential street in Camden, north London, has resulted in more than 2,500 tickets being issued since it was installed last year as part of a pilot project. Its victims include residents who have briefly pulled over to unload shopping.

The Camden pilot will soon be rolled out across other London boroughs and councils throughout the country will be granted similar powers from 2008.

mms
18-03-2006, 02:13 PM
nah it's genuine for sure

she got a court summons the other day.

those crime pictures you get in stations which show young men commiting acts of a violent or criminal nature on public transport are strange aren't they ?
i was reading them all today at turnpike lane, just blankfaced kids on cameras from strange angles leaving or starting an act.