Drugs and music appreciation

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Just reading the year-end Dissensus music picks and Woebots Top100 rex and all, and I'm just curious to know whether most/least Dissensus smoke the magical herb (which I beleive makes perfect transcendent synergy with music listening/appreciation) for their musical appreciation.

Sure the tastes of most, if not all Dissensans seems to follow that WireMagazine-dub-world-beat-psych-artrock (Blisspop/Eshun afro) lineage-o (with rock pushed way back, coz yeah it duz get boar-ing)...but unremimittingly there IS always a link to the PSYCHADELIC aspect of all the sounds/timbres/yodels in the picks, which is why I asked the question to begin with.

Me personaly, yes, I like to have a spliff and put on some rex and just GO with what they offer and the layers they offer (or lack to offer). The psychadelic experience HAS opened vista of sonic possibility some otherwise inpenetrable stuff like free-jazz (makes alota sense - esp sonically under the influence) and of course Krautrock. Many aspects of dance music and the shoegaze sound come completely undone under the influence (due to their overt surface sonic) but others unlock a dense polyrhytmic/sonic texture (Afro muzaks, free-jazz, free-form electronica - Sun Ra espesh)..

Anyway, jez curious to know how big a part being *psychadelicatised* (or stoned/blissed/pissed/kissed) play in yr music appreciation, is the question..

DJ PIMP

Music is my drug of choice and I generally find it fairly transcendent, but yeah, listening to music on drugs is bloody marvellous.

Lichen

I can't smoke anymore, but do get great pleasure out of hungover listening. I think that represents an altered state.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I used to smoke, but not anymore. Somehow for me the effect of that first period of getting stoned- ability to concentrate on one instrument, extended sense of space, seem to somehow become hard wired into me and I never felt much need to smoke to listen to music again. I think what happens is that the preconceptions about rock music you have when you're young- that there should be one dominant riff, that the rhythm section is merely there to add weight to the music- break down when you smoke weed, and you are able to be a lot more nuanced in your musical enjoyment.

not that this couldn't happen without drugs, however.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yeah and you should smoke dope before 18 or 20 y.o. Becuase medical tests prove that it affects your brain growth function apparently. Look what it did to me! :p

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ha, that sort of stuff worries me to be honest. If I had kids, I'd be pretty worred about them smoking weed, because of research suggesting it's bad for mental health. I mean, it's not proven or anything, but there's a fair amount of studies which have been on a real downer about weed, so to speak.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I remember being in my mid teens, in the pub, hilariously boxed, and Bros's "When Will I Be Famous" came on the jukebox. I saw my mate sitting in some kind of reverie and he looked at me and said "this is amazing". And it was. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from this.

mms

sometimes
i used to smoke alot during my teens from an early age and i'd basically warn teenagers from doing it as it's a waste of time and money smoking everyday and probably makes you more paranoid and slightly miserable than teenagers really need, plus you get lazy.

but then again any act repeated enough becomes extremely boring and sitting around with people gettting stoned is about the most boring thing i can think of nowdays.

saying that i want to take more drugs this year, but not weed.

when i was a kid i used to listen to music for hours and hours, stuff like prince or frankie goes to hollywood or hip hop or whatever which was full of strange rhythmic patterns and sonics etc, but people generally don't have the time to listen to music that deeply by their mid teens, smoking weed is a quick way to access that deeper time space i think.

Tweak Head

A few years ago I was in hospital recovering from surgery on my knee. One night, they had given me one of these self-administered morphine shot things - where you press a little button to get more pain relief. I was listening to John Schofield on my walkman, forget which album now but I had just bought it and wasn't very familiar with it. Well, it sounded just great, really trippy. It was only when I listened to it later that I realised that it was trippy because of the morphine. Still a good record but it lacks that edge ...

Oh, and next day they told me they were surprised how little morphine I'd used. So it's not like I was abusing it or anything. Bit of a missed opportunity though.

soundslike1981

Music and sex are my only drugs. I get so lost in them, so high on them without narcotic substances that I don't think I could handle it if they actually "improve" things. I don't drink, smoke, drug, etc. because that'd be that much less money I could spend on music. I never have, and I doubt I ever will.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Music and sex are my only drugs. I get so lost in them, so high on them without narcotic substances that I don't think I could handle it if they actually "improve" things. I don't drink, smoke, drug, etc. because that'd be that much less money I could spend on sex. I never have, and I doubt I ever will.

zhao

there are no accidents
I bought a huge sack for the holidays and have been puffing that dro steady for the past 2 weeks. my short term memory is almost completely gone. no, really. it's like... wait, what was I talking about?

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
probably my rediscovery of drum'n'bass was standing in an arch in elephant & castle coming down off an E surrounded by an amazing crowd, alot of whom were euro-crusties, and thinking this is bloody London, this music is our bloody music, made here.

any of that hyper music from gabba to stupid trance is always better on drugs, that doesn't detract from the fact that some of it is great music. I always laugh at the stupidity of those that think they can divorce drugs from the whole development of dance-music.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
wonk_vitesse said:
I always laugh at the stupidity of those that think they can divorce drugs from the whole development of dance-music.

True..and do you think that would also reflect on the quality of music. Alot of rockhead would say, that dance-type people can only get into the music on drugs, that without it, dance music's 'magic' doesn't work. I'd beg to differ, but it rings true for 95% of the scenes popularity, and could you imagine a drug-free rave/party (in fact maybe as the world becomes more Christian-right - it'll prolly happen sooner than later - but alas, this 'repression' may help form better, even more, dare I say it, soulful beats??)

martin

----
Buick6 said:
Anyway, jez curious to know how big a part being *psychadelicatised* (or stoned/blissed/pissed/kissed) play in yr music appreciation, is the question..

I'm very susceptible to girl groups - oh and Pavarotti singing 'Nessun Dorma' - on vodka for some reason. I can't do 'smoke' as it literally paralyses me for hours, but I always thought Es sounded best with ragga and dancehall, or industrial / post-punk. Here's an honest warning - never do 'anything' if you're listening to the Desperate Bicycles, I once listened to their first 3 7"s on acid and it was utterly fucked, this sounds like rubbish now but I really did hone in on the last 5 minutes of three separate deaths across three decades, refracted 33 degrees thru my then-girlfriend's black heart, I could never ever explain to you or anyone what it is about those records that envokes the appalling tragedy of wasted youth and lonely graves, but I could have that night - and in laser, too. (Oh yeah, there's a coded message in 'Smokescreen' concerning the date of Lou Reed's death too, but I can't remember what it was now)

Having said that, take acid and the tiles in a pub toilet become enchanting.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Music and drugs are my only drugs. I get so lost in them, so high on them with narcotic substances that I don't think I could handle it if they actually "improve" things. I drink, smoke, drug, etc. because that'd be that much less money I could spend on drugs. I never have, and I doubt I ever will.